Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Tegger wrote:

Red Green wrote in
news:Xns9F91CB52A82F5RedGreen@ 69.16.185.252:

"bob" wrote in
:

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV
room. The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and
then up through the floor for about 1 foot.

-snip-
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really
just curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth
it.

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ]

There are potential security issues with ANY over-the-air data transmission
that do not exist with wired transmission. It's the nature of the beast.
Wireless is exactly like radio: it's broadcast, and thus open to all who
care to try their hand at cracking in (unlikely though that is, in
actuality...).

My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

But I'll bet she could connect even if she had a wireless connection to
your home router. In which case the same security issues would apply.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

If she is unable to connect using an air card or other direct wireless
connection method, then it's likely a security concern. Does she work for a
bank or other institution that might be high-risk for cracking attempts?

--
Tegger