Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

"bob" wrote in message
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then
I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls,
I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between
two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Use a long 1/8" drill bit or a strong coat hanger cut on a 45 degree angle,
drill down though the floor, carpet whatever at the base or the shoe base.

Find that in the basement/crawlspace, factor in an 1-1/2" offset and drill
up into the wall cavity. Cut in your box or low voltage opening and fish
the wire up.

--
Colbyt