Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view on awall

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine

slats of any kind of wood are easily made

- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I
can buy

how much $ do you want to allocate to it? large sheets are expensive. look
up tap plastics in your yellw pages if you're in or near a reasonably large
city. you can get large sheets of glass too, but it would be pretty
dangerous to handle if you're not used to doing so. glass is heavier too.
96" is the usual largest single dimension. larger would be custom, and a lot
more $.

- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

there are local companies in most cities that provide this service. look up
mapping services. again, it's pretty expensive.

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

the largest i've framed is 8'x2'.

you'll also need to get it pressed onto something to keep it flat. foamcore
is usual, but finding a press large enough for 10' is going to be hard, and
$.

have you thought about sending a custom image to a company that makes wall
sized murals? installing it in strips like wallpaper, then installing wood
frame onto the wall, would be easier and a LOT cheaper.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Dr Rig wrote in :

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can
buy - For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Kinko's will just farm it out to a "large format digital printing"
company. You might as well go direct.

Here's a start:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=large+format+digital+print ing&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

These firms can not only print your image, but dry-mount it to a
suitable rigid substrate. You can frame it later if you wish, or
they can frame it for you.

They can also print directly to something like Sintra or Komatex,
which are already rigid enough not to need mounting.

A BIG warning though, your file had better be of pretty high-resolution,
or it will look really crummy when printed that big (the company will
probably refuse to output a file they consider too low). You want
minimum 80 dpi at the native size (5'x10'). The appropriate file
will likely be on the order of 20 megabytes. Or more.

JPEGs are dangerous to print large, since they tend to have odd
squiggly areas at edges between color blocks.

--
Tegger
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/19/2010 01:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

All I can offer are a couple of freeware poster-printing apps:

Easy Poster Printer:
http://gdsoftware.dk/

PosterRazor
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried either.

--
-Craig
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

"Dr Rig" wrote in message

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

1. I have no advice about printing.
2. For mounting, you should probably use ordinary picture
technology. Artists' supply stores sell edge mouldings and
hardware for single canvases up to 5 ft. by 10, and can advise
how many interior braces you need to avert later bending out of
true. After constructing the empty frame, canvas is stretched over
it (tightened by a special tool) and tacked along each outside edge.
You can glue the photo to this rigid but light structure, and add an
ornamental frame (using framing stock, corners cut with a 45-deg. jig.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:02:41 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

Dr Rig wrote in :

[...]

Let's see,
60x120" @ 80dpi=46,080,000 pixels
At 24bit color depth, that's 138,240,000 bytes for that file. Not too
terribly huge, but remember your looking to start with a 46 MegaPixel
image. You would have to patch together a number of Google satellite
images to get this to work. Then see if you can find a print shop that can
do billboard type stuff. This usually comes like wallpaper, in strips.

--
HK
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Roy Roy is offline

On Nov 19, 2:22*pm, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Your "project" is totally impractical and potentially very expensive.
Get someone to paint you a mural is my recommendation.
==
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

"chaniarts" wrote in
:

Dr Rig wrote:

- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

there are local companies in most cities that provide this service.
look up mapping services. again, it's pretty expensive.

There's lots of competition these days; prices have tumbled. OP can
expect to pay about $200 or so, depending on his area.

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

the largest i've framed is 8'x2'.

you'll also need to get it pressed onto something to keep it flat.
foamcore is usual, but finding a press large enough for 10' is going
to be hard, and $.

A dry-mounter is normally used to bond flexible prints to a rigid
substrate. These are everywhere, and are old technology. The 60" size is
very common. I ran one of these (a Seal 600) as part of my previous job,
eight years ago. They go up to 72", I believe. But that's the web width.
Finished sizes are typically about an inch less either side for trim, so
for a 60" web, figure on 59-58" finished size.

But... current technology now allows the large-format people to print
directly to a rigid substrate, which is a major advance in convenience
and durability. The current inks are very tough, and are even UV-stable.
They do not need an over-laminate for protection.

And it's not wise to use foamcore for a print that big; it's too
fragile. Sintra/Komatex is better. Sintra is foamed styrene, and it's
relatively light for its rigidity; it's very popular these days for
digital printing. The digital people buy the stuff by the skidload.

have you thought about sending a custom image to a company that makes
wall sized murals? installing it in strips like wallpaper, then
installing wood frame onto the wall, would be easier and a LOT
cheaper.

I didn't think of this before, but OP may wish to have the print split
up into 2 or 3 sections, which would be joined up when he frames it.
You'd have a seam, but its visibility would be minimized with proper
joining. This way the print size will fall within the substrate size
(usually 4' x 8'), and be more transportable as well. The digital print
company can help him with these details.

Our supplier of such things has this brand-new machine from Europe (I
wish I could remember the maker). The entire side opens up like a garage
door for maintenance and human access, but stock goes in a slot at one
end and goes out the other. It prints its entire 72" or so width ALL AT
ONCE, but make 4 passes to lay down the full density of ink. Each pass
is UV-cured as it's laid down. It's absolutely amazing how FAST this
thing is.

--
Tegger
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

H-Man wrote in
:

Let's see,
60x120" @ 80dpi=46,080,000 pixels
At 24bit color depth, that's 138,240,000 bytes for that file. Not too
terribly huge,

That's 132MB. But then you don't really need 24-bit pixel depth; 16 will
do. That takes the file down to 87MB. Even if you go down to 8 bit, which
is still quite acceptable for digital printing, it's 44MB. Still bigger
than I'd guessed.

We run digital stuff all the time, but our files contain vector and
transparencies in addition to raster components, so I was guessing on the
OP's needed file size. Most of our files are in the 20-40MB range. Now that
I think of it, I wasn't counting any linked Photoshop images, which can be
200MB or more. Add those to our usual Illustrator files, and we're /way/ up
there.

--
Tegger

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/19/10 3:22 PM, in article , "Dr Rig"
wrote:

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Forget the technical. First, you better get permission to do this from
Google. Most reputable labs will not do the work without a release.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Dr Rig"

| I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
| "picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

| Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
| - For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
| - For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
| - For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

| Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

| Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

LOL, a 5' x 10' print for FREE ?
You did post this to a freeware group!

I use a HP DesignJet T1120 and that is only 44" wide.
I could split this job into two halves using PhotShop.
Top: 2.5' x 10' and Bottom: 2.5' x 10'

Was that glossy or matte ?

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

"Dr Rig" wrote in message
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Looks as if these folks will go up to 48x120 inches:
http://www.giantphoto.com/aboutus.html

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I
can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Five by ten? That would make the earth shaped like a football !

Avoid all the grief and get a ready-made mural. Here's a bunch:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mural...w=1097&bih=646

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Dr wrote in message

[...]

I've done an 8x12 canvas before with 2x4's, it worked just fine.
Painting with gesso tightens up the canvas but it's pretty easy to just
pull tight while stapling your way around the back. I think you can
paint and sand to get it nice and smooth.

Another thought for printing is those companies that do the wraps for
buses. It's pretty expensive though!

I can't imagine a glass covered frame that big and plastic would
eventually get nasty - I wouldn't bother covering it.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

As others have said, the biggest issue you have is that when you blow up the
image that either you capture off Google Maps or Google Earth you are going
loose all detail. Your house you can recognize when you see it on your
computer screen will only be like 6 pixels in size 6 really big pixels.

I know, I have a large format printer, its a small one onlt 30 inches, and
you need images of huge size, like 300 meg.

To see what it would look like open the pic and blow it up like 3000% and
you will see why you will get.

Oh and it going to cost a ton of money.

"Dr Rig" wrote in message
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

All I can offer are a couple of freeware poster-printing apps:

Easy Poster Printer:
http://gdsoftware.dk/

PosterRazor
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

+1 for PosterRazor.

Poster apps print your pic over multiple letter-sized pages that you
stitch together to form a single large picture. Best for enlarging
vector graphics. I have my doubts that Google satellite images are
high enough resolution for such an enlargement. However, this method
will cost little to experiment.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/19/2010 4:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Doing so may very well be a copyright violation. Check with Google.

--
Peter
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/19/2010 10:01 PM, peter wrote:
On 11/19/2010 4:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can
buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Doing so may very well be a copyright violation. Check with Google.

A mosaic of adjacent sections, or a blowup of ONE map? I think you will
be disappointed by the resolution in either case. USCGS (or was it
NASA?) used to have an online portal for ordering hi-rez sat photos-
don't remember if you could order them as a file or not, that could be
printed on a industrial plotter like at Kinko's. Online map sites are
geared toward looking at them on a small monitor.

I know a lot of the map sites do watermark their images, and do
something so you can't save the image other than by screen-scraping.

I love aerial and satt photos- I have one on my office wall of the
half-mile square surrounding my office, but it is only 10x10 or so. I
wish some site had OLD satt images available, like from when they first
started taking them. Some company a few years ago was selling old
Russian images of CONUS.

As to the mundane framing part- any sign shop can put it on the foam
backer like they use in stores and at trade shows. Surface is durable
enough that you don't need plastic cover, which would cost a fortune in
any case.

Try Googling 'aerial images' and your zip code- there may be more
sources than you think.

--
aem sends...
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Craig wrote:
Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

All I can offer are a couple of freeware poster-printing apps:

Easy Poster Printer:
http://gdsoftware.dk/

PosterRazor
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried either.

There's also Posteriza:

http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block almost all
posts sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:07:55 -0800, Craig
wrote:

On 11/19/2010 01:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

All I can offer are a couple of freeware poster-printing apps:

Easy Poster Printer:
http://gdsoftware.dk/

PosterRazor
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried either.

PhotoLine www.pl32.net has an excellent poster-mode built-in under printing
options that is far better than any stand-alone app that I've found for
that, but it's not free. It can, however, be used indefinitely in
evaluation mode with nothing crippled, no watermarks, just a little nag to
wait through. I've used it since the mid 1990's just for its excellent
poster-printing feature before it climbed to the complex work-horse that it
is today, easily outdoing anything that PhotoSlop can do for over a decade.
It's not for the beginner though. You should have a solid background in
using any image editor before you try to tackle all that PhotoLine can do.
It's a marvel of concise and efficient programming, functions and features
that you don't even know it can do, quickly available at all places on your
workspace from CTRL, SHIFT, and ALT keypress and mouse-click combos. The
authors of that program really should get an international award for
packing so much functionality in so few bytes so efficiently. If you're new
to PhotoLine don't let its lackluster GUI fool you. I prefer function to
"pretty but dumb" any day when it comes to programming.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:11:47 -0500, "Cliff Hartle" wrote:

As others have said, the biggest issue you have is that when you blow up the
image that either you capture off Google Maps or Google Earth you are going
loose all detail. Your house you can recognize when you see it on your
computer screen will only be like 6 pixels in size 6 really big pixels.

There are many "hacker's apps" that will download and re-assemble Google
Earth data at the highest available resolution for the region wanted. Much
will depend on how much area you want to capture, and what resolution is
available for that area. Urban areas are available at a higher density
resolution because that satellite imagery is used for tax assessors who use
the imagery to watch for building violations and improvements (its main
use). There is no "one resolution only" when it comes to Google Earth data
available, nor is there a limit to that resolution (up to the government
allowed publicly-available limit)--the available resolution being area,
finance-base, and population density dependent.
Posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital

"Joe" Joe@TV wrote in message ...
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:22:24 +0000 (UTC), Dr Rig wrote:

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Have you considered going the old-fashioned route and using a fairly
powerful
slide projector? The bottom line could prove to be less expensive over
time.
The many advantages are obvious. Slides are cheap, easy to replace,
modify
and update. You need nothing on your display wall but specialized paint,
or
better yet a 5' x 10', or even better yet 6' x 12', projection screen.

A US decorator projected the Sistine Chapel onto his living room wall,
illustrated in C. Ray Smith's Supermannerism: New Attitudes in Post-
Modern Architecture (Dutton 1977).

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Nov 19, 4:22*pm, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?

http://www.digitalglobe.com/

But, you might really want an aerial photograph...

http://www2.aerogrid.net/

http://nationalmap.gov/gio/viewonline.html
-----

- gpsman
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:22:24 +0000 (UTC), Dr Rig wrote:
: I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
: "picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.
:
: Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
: - For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
: - For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
: - For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

You can print it yourself if you have access to a decent inkjet plotter. We
have one at work that takes four-foot rolls of paper, and they make them for
rolls even wider than that. The downside is that such large pictures are very
unwieldy. Framing and hanging are the hard part unless, as someone suggested,
you glue it up like wallpaper.

Bob

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Robert Coe wrote:
[...]

Ever seen a wet inkjet print?
I would not advise to use it as walpaper.
That would turn into a diaster.
There is hoever doublesided tape, in quite wide
rolls, that might do it.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

"David H. Lipman" wrote in
:

From: "Dr Rig"

| I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
| "picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

| Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
| - For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
| - For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I
| can buy - For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can
| print it?

| Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
| maps?

| Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right
| direction?

LOL, a 5' x 10' print for FREE ?
You did post this to a freeware group!

I use a HP DesignJet T1120 and that is only 44" wide.
I could split this job into two halves using PhotShop.
Top: 2.5' x 10' and Bottom: 2.5' x 10'

Was that glossy or matte ?

Stupidity isn't a crime. So you're free to go.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

I'd use a spray adhesive like the 3M stuff available all over the place.
it would take several cans to do a wall.

Uh, wide carriage inkjets are used to produce vehicle wraps, which
have no problem getting wet.

Tekronix made an engineering-size printer that could make large prints(like
blueprints),Xerox bought that division,and still makes them,IIRC.
It uses thermal wax "ink",makes really nice color prints.
There are several engineering printers that can make "wallpaper" you could
use for your wall photo.

You could also try a place that does billboards.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/19/2010 4:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Just a thought. Use one of the service bureaus and print it on
canvas. You can stretch that on any frame you want. The length can be
very long, the widths will vary by the printer. They will ship it rolled up.

I had some very large prints done, and they wound up coming out of
China. (1/4 Kinkos price) Printed on HP Dreamjet and coated. Quality is
very good. No need for glazing.

Jeff

Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

That would be good. Just stretch it over a wood frame allowing for some
edge to wrap around and it would be a very simple elegant presentation.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:50:52 -0500, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Before embarking on making, or getting something made I'd check that it
will be physically possible to get a 5 x 10 rigid sheet around any
corners, up any stairs and through any doors. You may find that the
restrictions on getting it in mean the display will have to be made
or at least assembled in-situ.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/13...1113086670.php
Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 11/21/2010 3:17 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

They look good. And you can buy the stretcher bars widely.

Probably not the cheapest, but the first I ran across:

http://www.wholesaleartsframes.com/c...anvas/1-Piece/

$400 for the a 60" x 120" 2 1/2" deep frame. The way that works is they
stretch and staple it on the stretcher bars and ship it to you rolled
up. You pop in the the side bars to the top and bottom and hang it.

The print alone there is $200 without the stretcher bars, so there is
a big premium for stretching. I'd probably do it myself and save $$$.

IMHO, it is crazy to do this any other way. (ie, framed and glazed)

Just remembered where I had mine done:

http://www.updone.com/

They print up to 60" x 360".

Definitely assemble on site. Easy, peasy.

Jeff

Google Street View Arthur 51 UK diy 5 April 13th 09 07:07 AM
Google Street View Bob Martin UK diy 1 March 28th 09 06:10 PM
Google Street View ARWadsworth UK diy 1 March 28th 09 06:04 PM
Google Street View Bob Martin UK diy 0 March 27th 09 08:33 AM