Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view on a wall

"chaniarts" wrote in
:

Dr Rig wrote:

- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

there are local companies in most cities that provide this service.
look up mapping services. again, it's pretty expensive.

There's lots of competition these days; prices have tumbled. OP can
expect to pay about $200 or so, depending on his area.

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

the largest i've framed is 8'x2'.

you'll also need to get it pressed onto something to keep it flat.
foamcore is usual, but finding a press large enough for 10' is going
to be hard, and $.

A dry-mounter is normally used to bond flexible prints to a rigid
substrate. These are everywhere, and are old technology. The 60" size is
very common. I ran one of these (a Seal 600) as part of my previous job,
eight years ago. They go up to 72", I believe. But that's the web width.
Finished sizes are typically about an inch less either side for trim, so
for a 60" web, figure on 59-58" finished size.

But... current technology now allows the large-format people to print
directly to a rigid substrate, which is a major advance in convenience
and durability. The current inks are very tough, and are even UV-stable.
They do not need an over-laminate for protection.

And it's not wise to use foamcore for a print that big; it's too
fragile. Sintra/Komatex is better. Sintra is foamed styrene, and it's
relatively light for its rigidity; it's very popular these days for
digital printing. The digital people buy the stuff by the skidload.

have you thought about sending a custom image to a company that makes
wall sized murals? installing it in strips like wallpaper, then
installing wood frame onto the wall, would be easier and a LOT
cheaper.

I didn't think of this before, but OP may wish to have the print split
up into 2 or 3 sections, which would be joined up when he frames it.
You'd have a seam, but its visibility would be minimized with proper
joining. This way the print size will fall within the substrate size
(usually 4' x 8'), and be more transportable as well. The digital print
company can help him with these details.

Our supplier of such things has this brand-new machine from Europe (I
wish I could remember the maker). The entire side opens up like a garage
door for maintenance and human access, but stock goes in a slot at one
end and goes out the other. It prints its entire 72" or so width ALL AT
ONCE, but make 4 passes to lay down the full density of ink. Each pass
is UV-cured as it's laid down. It's absolutely amazing how FAST this
thing is.

--
Tegger