Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view on a wall

"Dr Rig" wrote in message

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

1. I have no advice about printing.
2. For mounting, you should probably use ordinary picture
technology. Artists' supply stores sell edge mouldings and
hardware for single canvases up to 5 ft. by 10, and can advise
how many interior braces you need to avert later bending out of
true. After constructing the empty frame, canvas is stretched over
it (tightened by a special tool) and tacked along each outside edge.
You can glue the photo to this rigid but light structure, and add an
ornamental frame (using framing stock, corners cut with a 45-deg. jig.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs