Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view ona wall

On 11/19/2010 10:01 PM, peter wrote:
On 11/19/2010 4:22 PM, Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can
buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Doing so may very well be a copyright violation. Check with Google.

A mosaic of adjacent sections, or a blowup of ONE map? I think you will
be disappointed by the resolution in either case. USCGS (or was it
NASA?) used to have an online portal for ordering hi-rez sat photos-
don't remember if you could order them as a file or not, that could be
printed on a industrial plotter like at Kinko's. Online map sites are
geared toward looking at them on a small monitor.

I know a lot of the map sites do watermark their images, and do
something so you can't save the image other than by screen-scraping.

I love aerial and satt photos- I have one on my office wall of the
half-mile square surrounding my office, but it is only 10x10 or so. I
wish some site had OLD satt images available, like from when they first
started taking them. Some company a few years ago was selling old
Russian images of CONUS.

As to the mundane framing part- any sign shop can put it on the foam
backer like they use in stores and at trade shows. Surface is durable
enough that you don't need plastic cover, which would cost a fortune in
any case.

Try Googling 'aerial images' and your zip code- there may be more
sources than you think.

--
aem sends...