Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view on a wall

Dr Rig wrote:
I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine

slats of any kind of wood are easily made

- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I
can buy

how much $ do you want to allocate to it? large sheets are expensive. look
up tap plastics in your yellw pages if you're in or near a reasonably large
city. you can get large sheets of glass too, but it would be pretty
dangerous to handle if you're not used to doing so. glass is heavier too.
96" is the usual largest single dimension. larger would be custom, and a lot
more $.

- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

there are local companies in most cities that provide this service. look up
mapping services. again, it's pretty expensive.

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google
maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

the largest i've framed is 8'x2'.

you'll also need to get it pressed onto something to keep it flat. foamcore
is usual, but finding a press large enough for 10' is going to be hard, and
$.

have you thought about sending a custom image to a company that makes wall
sized murals? installing it in strips like wallpaper, then installing wood
frame onto the wall, would be easier and a LOT cheaper.