Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Paul Furman Paul Furman is offline

Default How to print & frame a roughly 5'x10' google satellite view ona wall

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Dr wrote in message

I have a wall that I want to cover with roughly a 5 foot by 10 foot
"picture" frame of a google satellite view of the surrounding area.

Any idea how to accomplish the various technical parts?
- For the 'frame', I'm thinking of making it out of pine
- For the 'glass', I'm wondering how big a sheet of thin plastic I can buy
- For the 'printing', I'm not sure, but maybe Kinkos can print it?

Have any of you ever created a huge frame and/or printing of google maps?

Can you give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction?

1. I have no advice about printing.
2. For mounting, you should probably use ordinary picture
technology. Artists' supply stores sell edge mouldings and
hardware for single canvases up to 5 ft. by 10, and can advise
how many interior braces you need to avert later bending out of
true. After constructing the empty frame, canvas is stretched over
it (tightened by a special tool) and tacked along each outside edge.
You can glue the photo to this rigid but light structure, and add an
ornamental frame (using framing stock, corners cut with a 45-deg. jig.)

I've done an 8x12 canvas before with 2x4's, it worked just fine.
Painting with gesso tightens up the canvas but it's pretty easy to just
pull tight while stapling your way around the back. I think you can
paint and sand to get it nice and smooth.

Another thought for printing is those companies that do the wraps for
buses. It's pretty expensive though!

I can't imagine a glass covered frame that big and plastic would
eventually get nasty - I wouldn't bother covering it.