Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

Greetings

I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.

We live in a neighborhood, where people help their neighbors, we have
neighborhood cookouts & such. Though retired from construction, people
still ask me to repair this or that, some drywall work, odd job etc. I
always attempt to help people out, and if I find it's going to be a project
which will take time, I refer them to a contact. When I do work, its for a
modest charge, because I no longer hold a license, or carry insurance.

A younger couple moved into the neighborhood. They wanted a deck & patio
door replaced. After asking around, a few neighbors pointed them my way.
Being up front, I told them I would _help_, but wouldn't give them a price
on anything.

They came up with a 14'x16' deck design, I drew it up, so they could get a
permit. I set up batter boards and strung it out for the post holes (6 of
them). The deck was going over part of a concrete patio, so I had him rent
a concrete saw to remove where 4 holes were going to be placed. I cut out 4
areas 12"x12" for these holes. My first sign this guy was cheap, was when
he started bitching about how much the saw cost along with the blade. I
helped the fella run the auger, called to have the holes inspected, poured
the concrete, set the beams & all floor joists. He wanted to install the
flooring himself, and I showed him how to do some railing, because he
wanted a built in gate within the railing. When it came time for the steps,
I figured them out & cut them for him. After the deck was completed, his
wife started complaining the deck was too _small_. It was their design,
with them saying how big they wanted it.

For the patio door, I still have aluminum coil stock, and an aluminum brake
to bend for flashing under the new door, and on top for a _z_ flashing. I
set the french doors, which he & his dad were the helpers.

So he says he will have a cook out when it's all done. I never discussed
getting paid, and I really don't want a dime for it. He said he will have a
cook out when everything was done. Well, he did, several of them, and
didn't invite myself or my family to join. He didn't invite anyone in the
neighborhood, just some drunken _friends_ from his old neighborhood. This
was last year when the work was completed. I just wonder where these
friends were, when the work was being done.

Fast forward to this year. He wanted to borrow my sawzall, I told him I
don't loan tools.

Now my lawnmower recently died. This guy bought a new Scag zero turn this
year. He seen my brother bring over his mower for me to use. The guy walked
over, said I should have asked him, for he would cut my yard for a mere $30
a pop. I was totally stunned, he would even suggest he would charge me. The
fella doesn't cut grass for a living, this is his toy, and I know it was
expensive, but geez. Not only that, several people in the neighborhood have
different companies cut their yards for $20, and all these lots are similar
in size.

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"L. Guteireze" wrote in message
[...]

If it's any consolation, You're the kind of neighbor I'd be happy to have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

Not a specific generation, AFAIK. My three grandsons have far
better manners than most of my neighbors ...

My hubby was "building manager" in our condo for four years or more.
Just in major tasks, I estimated the two of us spent well over 3,000
hours in those four years....not counting fixing broken concrete steps,
patching busted stucco, searching for buried irrigation controllers,
repairing outdoor lights...full time for weeks at a time on major
projects for grand sum of $80/month. In spare time, we unclogged
toilets, taught one neighbor to use a computer for the book he was
writing and LOANED HIM THE FREAKING LAPTOP COMPUTER, babysat, helped
remove debris from major remodels, helped install couple of water
heaters, replaced deck boards on dock, etc, etc, etc. The guy writing
the book never replaced my husband's batt. op. screwdriver he dropped in
the channel. I'm still waiting for someone to do me a favor, although I
haven't asked. Been tempted to set myself on fire to see if any of them
bother to p--- on me)

Oh, and I forgot rides to airports and a lousy bag of cookies and peanut
brittle hung on their doorknobs at Christmas time. And calling the cops
when their spouses slap them around. Hubby's muscle always requested by
the neighbor women who are too independent to live with a man )

Want to buy a condo? Three for sale, two of the owners pretty desperate
) What goes around.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"L. Guteireze" wrote in message
Now my lawnmower recently died. This guy bought a new Scag zero turn
this year. He seen my brother bring over his mower for me to use. The
guy walked over, said I should have asked him, for he would cut my yard
for a mere $30 a pop. I was totally stunned, he would even suggest he
would charge me. The fella doesn't cut grass for a living, this is his
toy, and I know it was expensive, but geez. Not only that, several
people in the neighborhood have different companies cut their yards for
$20, and all these lots are similar in size.

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

It may be the me generation.

What I want to know is how big is the lot the grass needs to be cut for a
guy to have a Scag and at the same time you can get it cut for $ 20 ?
At around $ 5,000 plus for the Scag I would pay the $ 20 to get the grass
mowed.

He actually bragged he paid $7k for this thing. Our lots are about 1/2
acre, 90x200. Consider the houses, garages, sheds, decks, flower beds, and
driveways take up a big portion of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

L. Guteireze wrote:
[...]

The kid probably voted for BeeHO.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Dang! I'd pay good money to have you as another one of my neighbors! That
lousy log-headed lamprey is a taker; simple as that. It wouldn't matter
which generation he was attached to; he's looking for a free ride.

I've met a couple people like him in my short life and it's always a culture
shock.

My FIL is now at the point in his life where he's starting to call people on
their knot-headed behaviors, men, women, children, parents. I'm sure he's
going to have a not-so-nice but very poignant observation about your
"neighbor" -- he might even offer a suggestion (or three) since that type of
leach really bothers him, too. EG

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"L. Guteireze" wrote in message
Greetings

I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.

We live in a neighborhood, where people help their neighbors, we have
neighborhood cookouts & such. Though retired from construction, people
still ask me to repair this or that, some drywall work, odd job etc. I
always attempt to help people out, and if I find it's going to be a
project which will take time, I refer them to a contact. When I do work,
its for a modest charge, because I no longer hold a license, or carry
insurance.

A younger couple moved into the neighborhood. They wanted a deck & patio
door replaced. After asking around, a few neighbors pointed them my way.
Being up front, I told them I would _help_, but wouldn't give them a price
on anything.

Chalk it up to yet another learning experience.

I have found, that until I really get to know someone I tend to be sociable
but not social.
It may take a while. I will wait.

Power tools do not get loaned unless it is an emergency and then I come with
the tool.
I had one neighbor who had a tree dropping leaves in his swimming pool.
He wanted to borrow my chain saw so that he could climb up into the tree and
trim some overhanging limbs.
I told him flat out I would not be a party to that escapade.

Liability is an ugly word.

Charlie

Even then you can get fooled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

L. Guteireze wrote:

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

I'd send 'em a present. A fire truck at 3:00 a.m. comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

My bet the same logic that people who need a 5 ton fluffed up truck to
transport themselves and a large beverage around was used. There is
someone a few doors down from us who bought a megamower for a small lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" wrote:

"L. Guteireze" wrote in message
Greetings

I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.

[snip story of prima-donna neighbor]

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

If it's any consolation, You're the kind of neighbor I'd be happy to have.

I agree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote:
"L. Guteireze" wrote in
:

[...]

yeah, it would really tick me off with a neighbor like that. Sadly, these
days a lot of people of all ages are real dopes. Don't know if they plan
it that way, or they are just for ME! Me! Me!

I suppose the only thing you can do is to be pleasant and wave to those
people, but otherwise try to ignore them. Have a some excuses ready to say
if the guy comes around again.

BTW, I hired out for a guy to mow my yard. He only charges $20 to mow and
trim. I have a fairly large suburban lot.

I'm jealous. Around here, the quoted prices start at around $40, if they
bother to call back at all. This is the small brown gentlemen in straw
hats and old pickups, not the services with shiny trucks- they want $65
on up. I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat, every 7-10 days, just to avoid the
lost night of sleep from my allergies that kick in at 0300 or so, even
if I shower immediately after mowing. I'd even provide the mower and the
gas. 2/3 acre, minus footprint of house and shed. Takes me about 2.5
hours with a mulching push mower, since it is so chopped up, and parts
are sloped.

I don't see any teenagers mowing lawns around here- just the fellows
described above, or white-haired retirees whose wives told them to go
out and play, so they cut every 4 days. (That and some middle-age ladies
that really, really, need to trade their riding mowers for push mowers,
but we won't go there...)

Why did I buy a house again? Hey, OP- you have any cousins that live
around here? I have a deck that needs a refresh real bad...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Though not retired , you and I are alot alike..I too "help" friends ,
neighbors , and family when I'm not working..Be it filling my elderly
neighbors generator with gas at 1 am during an ice storm , pulling somebody
out of the ditch in a snowstorm , or helping my dad and everyone else it
seems , with their drywall taping or other project...Sometimes I get paid ,
sometimes I don't...Sometimes I get ****ed when I don't even get a thank
you...But I do it because I like helping people which is why I'm on this
news group....Don't let one asshole get you down , just be ready with an
excuse to say no the next time he slithers over to ask a favor....I've got a
pile of firewood from clearing some trees on my property someone down on
their luck is gonna get this fall..... : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

He actually bragged he paid $7k for this thing. Our lots are about 1/2
acre, 90x200. Consider the houses, garages, sheds, decks, flower beds, and
driveways take up a big portion of that.

Ok on the $ 7,000. I did a quick lookup on them before I said $ 5 K and up.
Think they start around $ 5 K and then go up.

I used to live on a lot about that size. He should be able to cut the stuff
in notime with that mower. I had a 36 inch cut Murry and hated it because
it only had 3 speeds. Top gear was too fast and middle gear was too slow.
No use at all for the 1st gear. It did hold up for a good number of years.
When I moved to a place with 3 acres (mowing about 1.5 ) I bought a John
Deere with the hydrostatic drive. Much beter. Would like the zero turn,but
did not want to put out the price.

Man... $7K for a LAWNMOWER? heck, the Fabulous BeaterPorsche didn't
cost that much money, and it got me to work and back every day for
years. (now in semi-retirement as I have a company car.) I don't think
I've ever paid that much for anything in my life, save for one new car
and my house.

Oh, and if you count up parts, labor, etc. I've probably got more than
that in my project car. But I don't like to think about that.

I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.

Am I a cheap *******?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:56:11 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled Nate Nagel , to say:

I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.

The last time I ran my clothes dryer, it didn't do a very good
job. It might be failing to work. If I need a replacement, I'll
look to Craigslist. Some people get rid of their appliances
because they need a new color.

Am I a cheap *******?

Yes. But there is no reason not to be proud of that.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:11:25 -0400, "
wrote:

clipped

the channel. I'm still waiting for someone to do me a favor, although I
haven't asked. Been tempted to set myself on fire to see if any of them
bother to p--- on me)

Usenet line of the day!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 4:38*pm, "L. Guteireze" wrote:
[...]

I'll bet the asshole had piercings and tattoos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:21:46 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled Zipperhead , to say:

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

I'll bet the asshole had piercings and tattoos.

It's possible, but dammed if I'm going to check out his asshole
to find out.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
- Howard Aiken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Man... $7K for a LAWNMOWER? heck, the Fabulous BeaterPorsche didn't cost
that much money, and it got me to work and back every day for years.
(now in semi-retirement as I have a company car.) I don't think I've
ever paid that much for anything in my life, save for one new car and my
house.

Oh, and if you count up parts, labor, etc. I've probably got more than
that in my project car. But I don't like to think about that.

I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.

Am I a cheap *******?

nate

Yes you are. Do not get the used stuff, buy new and help the economy.
Just kidding...

I have done the same myself in the past. Bought a $ 500 truck as an extra
vehicle (wanted a truck, but had 2 cars). Kept the last car from 1991 to
2007. In my case it is a ballance of what I need and what I want. That
car got me to work and back and I did have another car with low milage to
take on trips. I have several hobbies that can cost a good bit and I
don't need the $ 7K law mower to show off with. Some people just don't
have anything beter to spend money on and want to show off.

Yea , you see that right on here....Somebody asks for advice on a tablesaw
for "occasional" homeowner use and some guys ALWAYS use the occasion to brag
about their 800 dollar top of the line saw and belittle those who recommend
a cheap Craftsman or Ryobi or a used one...To some "mine is bigger than
yours" is important...I think it is to make up for other
"shortcomings"...LOL....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:38*pm, "L. Guteireze" wrote:
[...]

Any adult relationship should be a reciprocal relationship - you help
me, and I help you. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 thing, or keep
track of hours, but there should be a give and take. If it's an old
lady, and she's on her own, of course I would do it for free, but I
would still let her make me a sandwich or bake a cake or whatever she
wanted so she would feel that she was giving something in return.
Standup people don't feel good about themselves when they take and
can't give back.

Charity should be reserved for those in need. Indulging someone who
can do the work for themselves or has the money to pay others to do it
for them will never make you feel good at the end of the day, and you
will have experiences like the one you wrote about. It is probably
how your poor schmuck neighbor was raised - he didn't have to do his
chores, and things were handed to him.

I can understand your frustration, but what did you really expect?
Next time you have such an urge to give charity to those that don't
need it, charge the people and when things turn out okay, donate the
money to charity or _you_ hold the kickass neighborhood block party.
It will be a surprise (everyone likes those), and everyone will feel
better about themselves and each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 18:38:14 -0400, "L. Guteireze"
wrote:

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

If the neighbor has thirteen personalities, yes!

I know, I should just get over it.

I've three standard answers for folks.

1) NO! (it won't happen, no way no how)

2) MAYBE! I'll look into it and get back to you )

3) YES! (means I keep my word)

People just cannot except NO for an answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You just did what any good person would do. But you did it for a person who
doesn't have a clue.

I'm a retired welder. I have equipment, and do a lot of stuff for myself,
and "friends". I don't broadcast it around. When the question comes up, I
give a price, take it or leave it. None of this, "I'll do this for you
later." I could be napping or fishing. When you get these new little
yuppie creeps, they don't know how to do it, or they wouldn't be asking you.
You just got in too far, too deep, and too soon. I can tell you're a right
guy, you just hit a "taker" who took advantage of you.

Now for the payoff. You gonna let it happen again?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
[...]

People like the neighbors ARE giving back. They give back by insisting on
strictly enforcing HOA rules, by agitating city councils on new anti-smoking
laws, by voting for candidates who implement more nanny-state regulations or
taxes, and any of a thousand ways to make each of us a better person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:47*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

I disagree. Loaning a guy who just moved into the neighborhood a hand
tool or giving him a ride to pick up his car is reasonable. Getting
involved in an open ended project to build a whole new deck and
install french doors because other neighbors sent them over is nuts.
For all anyone knows, the new guy could have spent the last 10 years
in jail.

In the situation discussed, I would have been willing to go over, take
a look, spend an hour or so and give them some ideas and advice on how
to proceed, but that's it. You start out small and see how and if
they respond and how the relationship grows over time.

*But you did it for a person who
doesn't have a clue.

Far more likely, he does have a clue. He's figured out how to use
people to get what he wants.

I'm a retired welder. *I have equipment, and do a lot of stuff for myself,
and "friends". *I don't broadcast it around. *When the question comes up, I
give a price, take it or leave it. *None of this, "I'll do this for you
later." *I could be napping or fishing. *When you get these new little
yuppie creeps, they don't know how to do it, or they wouldn't be asking you.

You just got in too far, too deep, and too soon. *I can tell you're a right
guy, you just hit a "taker" who took advantage of you.

Exactly.

Now for the payoff. *You gonna let it happen again?

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.

Am I a cheap *******?

nate

Well, there is "cheap" and there is economical. I furnished much of my
first home with second-hand....country auctions and one delightful dive
of an auction barn. Could buy a box of "junk" for fifty cents, and it
might have ten dollars worth of cookie sheets and cake pans. A few
slightly scarred but sturdy antiques....stayed at the auction barn until
4 am one night to buy a $2 library table. Cheap entertainment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 8:56*am, "
wrote:

Well, there is "cheap" and there is economical. *I furnished much of my
first home with second-hand....country auctions and one delightful dive
of an auction barn. *Could buy a box of "junk" for fifty cents, and it
might have ten dollars worth of cookie sheets and cake pans. *A few
slightly scarred but sturdy antiques....stayed at the auction barn until
4 am one night to buy a $2 library table. *Cheap entertainment.

I was at a garage sale this weekend, several in fact, and one had a
box with kitchen odds and ends - anything it was 10 cents. I picked
up one thing that caught my eye, the lady asked me if I had a dime
since she didn't have any change, and I didn't. "Just take it", she
says. So I did. Got home a quick Google to see what I had, and was
surprised to find this:
http://www.thekitchenstore.com/023321073348.html

Other places have it cheaper, $70 or so, but who would pay that much
for a very small pepper mill?!

Anyway, I'm not arguing and the thing is pretty cool looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Change you can believe in. Fast track to government take
over.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

The kid probably voted for BeeHO.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't ge over IT, just get over THEM. Not good people. Steer clear.

--
My forum is still open, waiting for alt.guitar to implode:
http://www.gearforumz.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

well, I probably would search out a contractor-grade table saw...
USED...

I loves me some good tools.

Same as my car choices... would rather drive a 20 year old Porsche
than a new Hyundai. Some people may prefer something with a
warranty. Diff'rent strokes...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

I was at a garage sale this weekend, several in fact, and one had a
box with kitchen odds and ends - anything it was 10 cents. I picked
up one thing that caught my eye, the lady asked me if I had a dime
since she didn't have any change, and I didn't. "Just take it", she
says. So I did. Got home a quick Google to see what I had, and was
surprised to find this:
http://www.thekitchenstore.com/023321073348.html

Other places have it cheaper, $70 or so, but who would pay that much
for a very small pepper mill?!

Anyway, I'm not arguing and the thing is pretty cool looking.

Tag/Garage/Yard/Barn sales are great fun, and a good source for things you
just can't buy anymore, at least not of the good quality they used to make
things.

My best story happened over 20 years ago. I found an electric guitar, a
Fender Jaguar, at a yard sale. I had one of those back in the sixties and
always liked it, but mine was stolen. I bought the one at the yard sale for
$10, and not in half-bad condition. At the time, we were paying an art
student to do a portrait of the kids, and had agreed on a price of $300.
When he saw that guitar, he said he'd take that instead of the money.

That portrait is now one of our most-loved possessions, but I don't have the
final bragging rights. That artist put a psychedelic paint job on the
guitar and sold it to a professional musician for $700. The going rate for
an old 60's Jaguar like that is now well over 1K, so there are a lot of
winners in this little remembrance.

Going back to the OP, I have a big mower because I have 5 mowable acres, but
i got my Scag ZT used from a landscaper for $800, and that was many years
ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat, every 7-10 days, just to
avoid the lost night of sleep from my allergies that kick in at 0300
or so, even if I shower immediately after mowing.

My neighbor's kid used to mow wearing a respirator just for that problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote

Yea , you see that right on here....Somebody asks for advice on a tablesaw
for "occasional" homeowner use and some guys ALWAYS use the occasion to
brag about their 800 dollar top of the line saw and belittle those who
recommend a cheap Craftsman or Ryobi or a used one...

Grin, seen that one! I'll often reply to a thread after I've seen many
replies, where the person said right at the start they didnt have much money
and literally couldnt afford the 'true fix' but needed something fairly
quick (due to working 2 jobs sometimes) and cheap but protective enough to
not cause damage.

I got the same sort of stuff when asking what sealants were best for a
cement slab that would be overlayed with outdoor type carpet in a sunroom.
Very fine spiderweb cracking, minimal amounts of it on a 40year old slab
extension.

Although well meaning, I got a chuckle at the number who couldnt stop
themselves from wanting to suggest I break out the slab and repour, or pour
a 2 inch layer over it, or 'deal with the damp then add wood underlayment
and carpet' etc.

The one person who actually responded with a product he thought well of, we
used his advice and it's done perfect for the scope of the job. We check
annually and re-apply another layer if it seems needed (wasnt last year).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in :

"benick" wrote

[...]

Heh,these days,$800 is NOT a "top of the line" table saw.
also,a $99 table saws will not give an accurate cut.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

Heh,these days,$800 is NOT a "top of the line" table saw.
also,a $99 table saws will not give an accurate cut.

Maybe. My definition or "accurate" is "good enough for its intended
purpose."

A $99 saw WILL give an accurate cut. Precision is, however, another matter.
Here's the difference:

"The moon is 240,000 miles from the earth" is an accurate statement, though
not very precise.

"The moon is, at this instant, 238,857.7002 miles from the earth" is a
precise statement - and also accurate.

Now I bought a $99 table saw for the express purpose of ripping laminate to
make the stuff fit the width of the floor. The saw was accurate to at least
1/4", which was all the precision I required.

I've since used the saw for all manner of worthwhile projects: Cutting junk
into pieces big enough to fit in the garbage can, putting points on tomato
stakes, trimming fence boards to fit around a tree, etc. I assure you, it
was accurate enough for all those endeavors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Well said...Some don't understand the difference between homeowner use and
cabinette making....LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:24:21 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

That is a lousy explaination of precision vs. accuracy.

I shoot some arrows into a target:

situation 1) they are all over the place: neither accurate or precise.
situation 2) they are all within an inch of each other, but 10" from the
bullseye: the shots are precise, but not accurate
situation 3) they are scattered around the bullseye: accurate, not
precise
situation 4) they are all in the bullseye: accurate and precise.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:08:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Change you can believe in. Fast track to government take
over.

I believe in my government - I own part of it. I have no faith in
corporations that exist only to enrich themselves. Given the choice,
and that is the choice, I'll take the government.

Sorry you don't believe in our government. Perhaps you'd be happier
somewhere else.