Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:24:21 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

Heh,these days,$800 is NOT a "top of the line" table saw.
also,a $99 table saws will not give an accurate cut.

Maybe. My definition or "accurate" is "good enough for its intended
purpose."

A $99 saw WILL give an accurate cut. Precision is, however, another matter.
Here's the difference:

"The moon is 240,000 miles from the earth" is an accurate statement, though
not very precise.

"The moon is, at this instant, 238,857.7002 miles from the earth" is a
precise statement - and also accurate.

Now I bought a $99 table saw for the express purpose of ripping laminate to
make the stuff fit the width of the floor. The saw was accurate to at least
1/4", which was all the precision I required.

I've since used the saw for all manner of worthwhile projects: Cutting junk
into pieces big enough to fit in the garbage can, putting points on tomato
stakes, trimming fence boards to fit around a tree, etc. I assure you, it
was accurate enough for all those endeavors.

That is a lousy explaination of precision vs. accuracy.

I shoot some arrows into a target:

situation 1) they are all over the place: neither accurate or precise.
situation 2) they are all within an inch of each other, but 10" from the
bullseye: the shots are precise, but not accurate
situation 3) they are scattered around the bullseye: accurate, not
precise
situation 4) they are all in the bullseye: accurate and precise.