Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

"benick" wrote

Yea , you see that right on here....Somebody asks for advice on a tablesaw
for "occasional" homeowner use and some guys ALWAYS use the occasion to
brag about their 800 dollar top of the line saw and belittle those who
recommend a cheap Craftsman or Ryobi or a used one...

Grin, seen that one! I'll often reply to a thread after I've seen many
replies, where the person said right at the start they didnt have much money
and literally couldnt afford the 'true fix' but needed something fairly
quick (due to working 2 jobs sometimes) and cheap but protective enough to
not cause damage.

I got the same sort of stuff when asking what sealants were best for a
cement slab that would be overlayed with outdoor type carpet in a sunroom.
Very fine spiderweb cracking, minimal amounts of it on a 40year old slab
extension.

Although well meaning, I got a chuckle at the number who couldnt stop
themselves from wanting to suggest I break out the slab and repour, or pour
a 2 inch layer over it, or 'deal with the damp then add wood underlayment
and carpet' etc.

The one person who actually responded with a product he thought well of, we
used his advice and it's done perfect for the scope of the job. We check
annually and re-apply another layer if it seems needed (wasnt last year).