Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

I was at a garage sale this weekend, several in fact, and one had a
box with kitchen odds and ends - anything it was 10 cents. I picked
up one thing that caught my eye, the lady asked me if I had a dime
since she didn't have any change, and I didn't. "Just take it", she
says. So I did. Got home a quick Google to see what I had, and was
surprised to find this:
http://www.thekitchenstore.com/023321073348.html

Other places have it cheaper, $70 or so, but who would pay that much
for a very small pepper mill?!

Anyway, I'm not arguing and the thing is pretty cool looking.

Tag/Garage/Yard/Barn sales are great fun, and a good source for things you
just can't buy anymore, at least not of the good quality they used to make
things.

My best story happened over 20 years ago. I found an electric guitar, a
Fender Jaguar, at a yard sale. I had one of those back in the sixties and
always liked it, but mine was stolen. I bought the one at the yard sale for
$10, and not in half-bad condition. At the time, we were paying an art
student to do a portrait of the kids, and had agreed on a price of $300.
When he saw that guitar, he said he'd take that instead of the money.

That portrait is now one of our most-loved possessions, but I don't have the
final bragging rights. That artist put a psychedelic paint job on the
guitar and sold it to a professional musician for $700. The going rate for
an old 60's Jaguar like that is now well over 1K, so there are a lot of
winners in this little remembrance.

Going back to the OP, I have a big mower because I have 5 mowable acres, but
i got my Scag ZT used from a landscaper for $800, and that was many years
ago.