Posted to alt.home.repair
komobu

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

Hi;

I am in the US Army stationed in Korea. I have a House in Virginia that
I am renting out. The AC compressor went out. And I am being quoted
1600 dollars to replace the compressor. I purchased the house in 1993,
and replaced the compressor in 94 or 95. The AC Unit is probably 20 or
more years old. I am trying to decide whether to repair the unit at
1600 or to install a brand new model with better efficiency. In another
year and a half, I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely. I would like to replace the unit in the off season
and is there a month that would be best for me to replace it? Please
provide me with some recommendations, specific name brand and model
numbers with pricing if known. Also, should I get a manual J done?

Thanks for any help
Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

From the money point of view, if you were going to keep it a rental, I would
say repair it.

But since you are going to live there, get a new AC and get the most
efficient you can swing. You will be glad you did when the electric bills
show up. And get several estimates if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"komobu" wrote in message
I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely.

In that case, I'd replace. Thanks for serving in our Military and making
our country safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Support Your Cowardly Troops!!!

Hope they send you all to Iraq u baby killing sons of bitches and whores.
May americas war crimes be repaid by its citizens a million-fold.
Thank you for killing innocents on behalf of oil companies and republican
CEO theives.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"komobu" wrote in message
I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely.

In that case, I'd replace. Thanks for serving in our Military and making
our country safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi;

I am in the US Army stationed in Korea. I have a House in Virginia that
I am renting out. The AC compressor went out. And I am being quoted
1600 dollars to replace the compressor. I purchased the house in 1993,
and replaced the compressor in 94 or 95. The AC Unit is probably 20 or
more years old. I am trying to decide whether to repair the unit at
1600 or to install a brand new model with better efficiency. In another
year and a half, I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely. I would like to replace the unit in the off season
and is there a month that would be best for me to replace it? Please
provide me with some recommendations, specific name brand and model
numbers with pricing if known. Also, should I get a manual J done?

Thanks for any help
Pat

Hi, we are in N.C., and replaced our whole unit a couple years ago. Can't
recall if it's been two summers now or three, but we noticed a huge savings
on our electric bill the first summer. The new unit saved us at the very
least 1/3 off our summer cooling bills per month, most times closer to 1/2.
My husband said this new unit will have paid for itself in less than 5 years
time, in the savings off our cooling bills. With the old unit, some of
electric bills in the summer time were approaching $400, after the new unit,
we never had a bill that even neared the $300 mark, and I'm talking hot and
humid summer. If you'd like, I can ask my husband the name of the unit we
had installed? I know it was an off-brand model of a name brand. The guy
we had install it said 'it was made by the same company, same unit, etc. but
less expensive than the name brand.

Hope this helps.

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Support Your Cowardly Troops!!!" wrote in message
.. .
Hope they send you all to Iraq u baby killing sons of bitches and whores.
May americas war crimes be repaid by its citizens a million-fold.
Thank you for killing innocents on behalf of oil companies and republican
CEO theives.

I wish they'd kill some more babies so gas and heating oil prices drop some
more.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

You have some good points, but i want to clarify a few things:

Brand name does not really matter. 90% of the job is who and how they
install it. You can get a top-of-the-line unit and have it installed by some
fly-by-night "hack" and then you end up with nothing but trouble. A/Cs and
heatpumps have improved (efficiency-wise) quite a bit in the past 20 years.
What was considered "high efficiency" back in 1988 is now considered the
least efficient and will soon not be available due to new government
standards. You have to remember though: Just changing the outdoor unit can
help, but you are not going to get very good efficiency using the old
evaporator coil. You may even DEcrease the SEER rating. In other words, if
you install a 13 SEER outdoor unit (which will be the minimum requirement at
the end of this year. You don't HAVE to have one, it's just that
manufacturers will not make them any longer) and you keep the old evaporator
coil, you may get an actual 11 SEER rating or possibly lower.

In any case, get a least 3 quotes (not estimates) from companies that your
friends and neighbors know. See who they have used and who they are happy
with and you can't go wrong.....
Do yourself a favor: Replace the entire system. Outdoor unit, lineset,
eveaporator coil, the works. You'll save money in the long run and have less
problems down the road..

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .

"komobu" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

I'm not convinced that replacing everything is necessarily the best
way to go. Of course you want it installed right. But the rest is
economics. It might be MUCH cheaper to simply replace the compressor
unit -- so much so that the additional electricity saving from going
all the way won't justify the additional cost.

In my experience, the greatest savings (assuming a working unit of
reasonable efficiency) come from making sure the ductwork is in good
condition so you don't leak half of your cooled air.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"CJT" wrote

I'm not convinced that replacing everything is necessarily the best
way to go. Of course you want it installed right. But the rest is
economics. It might be MUCH cheaper to simply replace the compressor
unit -- so much so that the additional electricity saving from going
all the way won't justify the additional cost.

In my experience, the greatest savings (assuming a working unit of
reasonable efficiency) come from making sure the ductwork is in good
condition so you don't leak half of your cooled air.

Again, it depends. If you use A/C a couple months out of the year, then you
could get by with just replacing the outdoor unit. If you can see what a 20
year old coil looks like, you can see some of the "physical" differences of
the improvements made to the new, high efficiency ones. One thing is the
size. More efficient ones have more surface area. An old 3 ton coil may be
12 inches high wher a newer one can be 20-some inches high. Another thing is
the metering device. Old ones used pistons where newer ones have expansion
valves. Not ALL new coils, but most. And, depending on the size, installer,
how much of a pain it is to change, sheet metal involved, adding a new
evaporator coil and new line set can be as low as an additional $500. Sure,
that's not pocket change, but if changing out the entire system can save you
50 bucks a month on your electric bill, it may pay to do it. Especially if
your cooling season is 5 or 6 months long. If you have a heat pump, forget
it. You'd be crazy just to change the outdoor unit......

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

As of Jan 1, 2006, the ONLY way to get what you pay for, is to go with a
matched condensor and evap coil, provided that the company that you are
dealing with cant get a 10, or 12 SEER unit....13 SEER is a new ball game
when it comes to retrofits.
Bad thing is, with the higher SEERS, sometimes you need higher airflow, and
the ONLY way to get that, is to go with a VS furnace...so..yea..it can suck.
However, no legitimate AC company will replace just the outdoor unit, with a
high SEER, (13 and higher) if you have old 10SEER or lower evap coil....if
they do..they are just stealing your money, its that simple.

In my experience, the greatest savings (assuming a working unit of
reasonable efficiency) come from making sure the ductwork is in good
condition so you don't leak half of your cooled air.

Well, yes, and no.
Ductwork SIZED correctly for the unit, each rooms needed capacity, and
sealed is the way to go.
Bad thing is, most companies throw a trunk line in and ever take off is 6
inch....thats wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

First...thanks for what you are doing..even if it allows some ****ers like
that one that posted later to still breathe...

1600 for a compressor change out, depending on the size and brand of the
condensor, is not as high as it sounds...however, if its 3 ton or less, then
it can be quite high for this area..VA, NC, SC..just depends on how much the
compressor costs and the brand name on the unit...

I have been able may times to change out an entire unit for less than that,
and still make a profit, so, you might want to shop around...and if you do,
remember, name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of course its
a Goodman..Goodman is STILL the cheapest POS on the market...and while it
will do the job, why install something that is prone to failure more often
than others, when you can get a better brand for less, or the same price and
have fewer issues with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"CBHVAC" wrote

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

Another thing: You change a compressor only, you get 1 year warranty. If you
change the entire unit, you (sometimes) get 10 years. Depends on the
manufacturer. Some will not give the 10 years unless you change the
evaporator coil too.

I have been able may times to change out an entire unit for less than
that, and still make a profit, so, you might want to shop around...and if
you do, remember, name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of
course its a Goodman..

or a York.

;-]

(I kid)

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

Yea..I know...since Yorks giving lifetime warrantys now..LOL
seriously.

Funny..Goodman drops theirs...everyone else gets one...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"CBHVAC" wrote

Yea..I know...since Yorks giving lifetime warrantys now..LOL
seriously.

Funny..Goodman drops theirs...everyone else gets one...

Really? York does now? Why in the world did Goodman stop? That was about
their only selling poimt......

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

Yea..I know...since Yorks giving lifetime warrantys now..LOL
seriously.

Funny..Goodman drops theirs...everyone else gets one...

Really? York does now? Why in the world did Goodman stop? That was about
their only selling poimt......

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on the
compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers (NOT
winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones? Well, now
you can get Duke, UNC...Florida..etc...with the team logo on it) if the
grilles rust out, you can replace em with about anything you want..

Goodman stopped after their buyout with the new owners. The lifetime
warranty isnt automatic now, and they are hardcore on the "if you bought it,
not licenced, or in the trade and can prove it, or bought it over the
internet" there isnt a bit of warranty on the unit.
Have to go back and look, but its gone bro.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

Yea..I know...since Yorks giving lifetime warrantys now..LOL
seriously.

Funny..Goodman drops theirs...everyone else gets one...

Really? York does now? Why in the world did Goodman stop? That was about
their only selling poimt......

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on the
compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers (NOT
winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones?

We don't allow no colored ones around these here parts!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

Yea..I know...since Yorks giving lifetime warrantys now..LOL
seriously.

Funny..Goodman drops theirs...everyone else gets one...

Really? York does now? Why in the world did Goodman stop? That was about
their only selling poimt......

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on
the compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers
(NOT winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones?

We don't allow no colored ones around these here parts!!!!!

Keyboard....where do I send you the bill? LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"CBHVAC" wrote

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on the
compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers (NOT
winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones? Well,
now you can get Duke, UNC...Florida..etc...with the team logo on it) if
the grilles rust out, you can replace em with about anything you want..

Duke and UNC???!!! They're for PUSSIES!!!!!

;-]

BTW, been down your way quite a bit in the past 3 weeks. My son has been in
the NCAA playoffs (soccer). Most of them have been in Raleigh. (The ACC
playoffs were in Carey). They are in the "sweet 16". Play Notre Dame (at
Clemson) this Sunday. Then the final 4 (and finals) are going to be in
Carey. Putting some miles on the vehicle!!! 5 trips in 2 weeks! Nothing like
driving a 10 hour round trip for a 2 hour game. Clemson is a 17 hour round
trip!!! Oh, well. They are only young once.

Give me 3 years. I'll be down there somewhere in the Carolinas...........

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on
the compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers
(NOT winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones?
Well, now you can get Duke, UNC...Florida..etc...with the team logo on
it) if the grilles rust out, you can replace em with about anything you
want..

Duke and UNC???!!! They're for PUSSIES!!!!!

Well, yea..I agree...ive always been an NCSU fan...even when they suck..

;-]

BTW, been down your way quite a bit in the past 3 weeks. My son has been
in the NCAA playoffs (soccer). Most of them have been in Raleigh. (The ACC
playoffs were in Carey). They are in the "sweet 16". Play Notre Dame (at
Clemson) this Sunday. Then the final 4 (and finals) are going to be in
Carey. Putting some miles on the vehicle!!! 5 trips in 2 weeks! Nothing
like driving a 10 hour round trip for a 2 hour game. Clemson is a 17 hour
round trip!!! Oh, well. They are only young once.

You have been out Pauls way...should have given him a call and met up with
him...found out hes not the total ass he wants you think he is..LOL

If you are out this way again, let me know..lunch is on me.

And yea...I know about the being young once thing. I have a friend thats not
only talked me into joining as a PT officier here with the local SD, but he
also coaches an elementary soccer team...(ok..its not even close to NCAA
stuff) but we sponsored them this year..and they won their divisions
championship last week. Its nice to see the kids out there and know that by
buying the uniforms, shoes, etc...that they are doing something they wont
prob ever forget..

Give me 3 years. I'll be down there somewhere in the Carolinas...........

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CBHVAC" wrote

14 SEER and higher Affinitys, with a matching coil, gets a lifetime on
the compressor....good thing about that is, with the new ACC team covers
(NOT winter covers...unit grilles actually..you know the colored ones?
Well, now you can get Duke, UNC...Florida..etc...with the team logo on
it) if the grilles rust out, you can replace em with about anything you
want..

Duke and UNC???!!! They're for PUSSIES!!!!!

Well, yea..I agree...ive always been an NCSU fan...even when they suck..

Played them two days ago! Beat them 3-0 and my boy scored the third goal.
Hey! NCS beat them during the reg season. One comment: They must not give
much money to the soccer team. That field was pitiful! No lights,
pot-a-potties, crappy field. We thought it was a alternate field because of
the rain, but someone said that was their regular field! Oh, well. We didn't
want to walk around the field (through the mud) to go to the "visitor's
side" so we sat with all of the NCSU fans. Nice people! Most of the time you
still get PPS (****ed parent syndrom) when their kid is losing and you are
cheering for the opposing team. Got none of that. We got lost getting to the
field and ended up at the baseball stadium. Now THAT is nice.

You have been out Pauls way...should have given him a call and met up
with

him...found out hes not the total ass he wants you think he is..LOL

If you are out this way again, let me know..lunch is on me.

I forget exactly where you are.

I have no beef with Paul. Don't know him personally, but I know what kind of
guy he really is.

We were going to go down to Clemson tomorrow, but we are going to wait until
Saturday morning. Then, hopefully, we will be in Carey/Raleigh the 9th,
10th, and 11th.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

$1600.00 Is a lot for a compressor, but not unheard of. I sure would
not put that kind of money in fixing a 20 year old unit. As for
replacing the outdoor unit only. ACs and heat pumps are sold as matched
sets. It is like putting a new Ford Tranny in a 20 year old Chevy. It
may run but probably not right. Also, having replaced many 10 to 15
year old systems, it is amazing how often the indoor coil is CLOGGED
with dirt and lint. Totally impacted. If you can afford a complete
system, go for it. As for efficiency, 13 SEER will soon be the low
end, many manufacturers are already out of their old low end stuff
(10-12 SEER). Try to get better than low end, ie 14 SEER or better. I
was just at a major trade show (Comfortech). It is amazing how cheap
some of the new 13 SEER stuff will be.

Get some one who does a load calculation and sizes the ducts properly
and measures air flow. Brand DOES matter, but installation matters
MORE.

Good Luck

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

CBHVAC wrote:

"komobu" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

.... unless of course it is a Goodman, huh.

I have NO connection whatever to the Goodman Company.
However, I am willing to bet anyone, that the new Goodman 13-SEER or
higher unit "installed properly" will NOT fail more than other condenser
brands' no matter how much you pay for them!

Never knock another brand unless you can prove that their equipment will
fail more often "when properly installed" than the other brands!
What you pay for equipment does NOT determine the failure rate of the
equipment; I have seen high priced equipment fail early and repeatedly!

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing
the heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"udarrell" wrote

I have NO connection whatever to the Goodman Company.
However, I am willing to bet anyone, that the new Goodman 13-SEER or
higher unit "installed properly" will NOT fail more than other condenser
brands' no matter how much you pay for them. Never knock another brand
unless you can prove that their equipment will fail more often "when
properly installed" than the other brands!
What you pay for equipment does NOT determine the failure rate of the
equipment; I have seen high priced equipment fail early and repeatedly!

Darrell, I mean no offence by the following, but......

You may have "no connection whatever to the Goodman Company", but from your
response, I bet that 70% of the units you DO install are Goodmans.

Not saying anything is wrong with that. Goodman got the bad reputation
because they used to sell unit to ANYONE off the street. That's why every
time I get called out on a service call on a Goodman, the compressor has
crapped out within the first two years. Why? Because "Joe Blow" installed it
because "he knows how to solder a pipe" and doesn't use any kind of proper
procedure to install it. Not even, at the least, a vacuum pump. How can you
tell? Because there is not even a liquid line filter/drier installed and
PLUMMER'S SOLDER was used (trust me, You can tell).

Let's say someone that knows what they are doing and they do a proper
installation. Most Goodmans STILL look like they went through a war by the
time they are 2 years old! Cabinet faded to a light beige (when they started
out brown), condenser fan motor has a nice color of RUST (and I mean big,
flaky RUST!), fan blade looks like it's about ready to fall apart. Sorry,
but that is nothing I want to sell to a customer! Carrier used to be the
same way. The grill would rust out in no time and God blessed you if it went
more than 2 years without developing a leak in the condensor coil! They have
since improved. What about Goodman?

Now I can't say anything about Goodman's "new" line. I have been told that
the 13 SEER and above have completely different cabinets and they hold up a
lot better, but I just worked on a 14 SEER unit and, well, it looked like a
piece of sh*t! I don't know. Maybe that was just a fluke or an OLD 14 SEER,
but I am not going to run out and switch brands. Mainly because the
distribution center is 2 hours away. Other people in the business are going
to have to convince me that they are a product I can trust. And don't give
me that line of "well they have sold more units than all the other brands
combine" or whatever their sales pitch is. Maybe they were, but how many of
those lasted more than 4 years? Plus, when Joe Blow and Harry Homeowner can
come off the street and buy them, well, I guess sales are/were good.

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

That was the point I was making before about getting an efficient model. No
sense of putting a 14 SEER condensing unit with an old 8 SEER, piston-type
evaporator coil. A lot of customers think you are just tacking on some extra
bucks to the job ("Just the outside unit is bad! I don't need to change the
inside coil!"), but they really DO save in the end.

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing the
heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

Amen....

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"udarrell" wrote in message
CBHVAC wrote:

"komobu" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

So what I should have said was..according to you..

I make most of my money repairing Goodman units that have been installed by
reputable companies when the homeower balked at the price of a Carrier, or
other name unit.
I keep more repair parts on all our vans for Goodman units than all other
units combined.
I have replaced personally more Goodman units due to rusted out cabnets than
all other units.
I order more parts for Goodman units than all other brands and can prove
it...

Is that what you are saying?

Face it..Goodman, is a cheap POS that works, but also keeps legit companies
in business...
Personally, I wont sell one, not when I can install a name brand unit for
less than most around here charge for a Goodman that didnt cost half of what
a better unit does.

Also, I have seen higher priced units fail..Nothing is perfect, nor will it
be. But when you have a known track record for failure..and its the SAME
failure over and over and over again, and the parent company refuses to
address it, and recall it, or repair it for free for the effected
homeowners..yea..im gonna knock the hell out of it.
Goodman, in that regard..SUCKS.

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

Or, better yet, a VS Copeland Scroll...

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing the
heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

[...]

It's Cary, and were you down here while the weather was really warm? It's
finally gotten cold this week, but we still haven't turned the heat on yet
this season. I miss winter.

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"tiny dancer" wrote

[...]

Ooops! I have a friend named Carey...

Yeah. During the ACC playoffs, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Then on
Tuesday when they played NC State, it was 50 degrees, but with the 30 mph
plus wind, I about froze my butt off.

BTW, 22 degrees out this morning....

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote

[...]

My kinda weather! We are originally from Wisconsin. One of our
daughters graduated from N.C. State, so of course we too think Duke and UNC
are PUSSIES. ;- I'll try and order up some warm weather for your next
trip down.

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:37:40 -0500, "Support Your Cowardly Troops!!!"
wrote:

Hope they send you all to Iraq u baby killing sons of bitches and whores.
May americas war crimes be repaid by its citizens a million-fold.
Thank you for killing innocents on behalf of oil companies and republican
CEO theives.

========= No words that I can say that would convey how I really feel
about the reply above...and about my feelings toward the poster...

What an Idiot...is the mildest I can do right now!

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

How about for tomorrow morning???

(Headed down to Clemson)

;-]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

Hope they send you all to Iraq u baby killing sons of bitches and whores.
May americas war crimes be repaid by its citizens a million-fold.
Thank you for killing innocents on behalf of oil companies and republican
CEO theives.

========= No words that I can say that would convey how I really feel
about the reply above...and about my feelings toward the poster...

What an Idiot...is the mildest I can do right now!

Best example I have seen of a "Troll". They post stuff just to get people
****ed off. Then he sits at his computer with his pants around his ankles
waiting for replies.

A lot of sad people in this world. Best to ignore them.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

[...]

Opps, sorry. Should have gotten your *order* in sooner. I think it's
supposed to be in the teens tonight. Better wear your long-johns. ;

(Headed down to Clemson)

;-]

Goodluck! Truly, I think tonight is supposed to be the coldest night we've
had so far this season. I'd say dress warm.

best,

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
komobu

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards having a new unit put in.
Bottom line is I would rather pay the extra cash and not have problems
than to save money and have nothing but problems. Is the Tempstar a
good line? I have never heard of them. The Smart Comfort 2400 has a
SEER of 14. It has a ten year waranty on a Scroll Compressor and a 5
year no hastle warranty on all functional parts. Thanks for any advice
on the unit and please provide name brand units that are known for
dependability.

Thanks
Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

komobu wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards having a new unit put in.
Bottom line is I would rather pay the extra cash and not have problems
than to save money and have nothing but problems. Is the Tempstar a
good line? I have never heard of them. The Smart Comfort 2400 has a
SEER of 14. It has a ten year waranty on a Scroll Compressor and a 5
year no hastle warranty on all functional parts. Thanks for any advice
on the unit and please provide name brand units that are known for
dependability.
Thanks
Pat

First, do not get the idea in your head that if you buy a specific high
priced Brand/Make that you automatically will not have any trouble
because you paid more for the equipment, and the installation.

'The amount you pay for the equipment and the installation 'does NOT
automatically correlate' to having fewer high cost problems."

Though most who post here will argue the point; you can pay a lot more
and NOT get more, you might even get a lot less for you dollars.
Over the years I did a lot of service work on high priced installations
and equipment, the higher price they paid did not buy them less expenses
later!
The quality of the installation is the major factor. I personally, would
stay away from aluminum coils, in the past they were problems.
- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards having a new unit put in.
Bottom line is I would rather pay the extra cash and not have problems
than to save money and have nothing but problems. Is the Tempstar a
good line? I have never heard of them. The Smart Comfort 2400 has a
SEER of 14. It has a ten year waranty on a Scroll Compressor and a 5
year no hastle warranty on all functional parts. Thanks for any advice
on the unit and please provide name brand units that are known for
dependability.

Thanks
Pat

The unit we had installed is American Standard, supposedly a division of
Trane. Knock on wood, we haven't had a bit of trouble with it *and* our
power bills for cooling are significantly lower. I believe I heard this was
one of the hottest summer seasons on record around here. We turned the AC
on sooner and left it on longer than recent previous summers. We are in
North Carolina. I'd assume our weather is comparable to Virginia?

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's the other way around. Trane is a division of American Standard. Went to
the factory in Texas 2 years ago. Side-by-side down the assembly line. Same
compresor, same coil. Then the cabinets are put on. Trane has a much nicer
cabinet, but not for the price you pay. Not knocking them. They are good
units. But you are just paying for the name.

And as far as weather goes, deoends on what part of Virginia or NC you are
in.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the *AC guy* linked the two names
together and told us it was basically the same unit, only cheaper.

Went to
the factory in Texas 2 years ago. Side-by-side down the assembly line.

Same
compresor, same coil. Then the cabinets are put on. Trane has a much nicer
cabinet, but not for the price you pay. Not knocking them. They are good
units. But you are just paying for the name.

And this one isn't as loud running than our old one that we replaced was.

And as far as weather goes, deoends on what part of Virginia or NC you are
in.....

We're in the Raleigh/Durham area. Or as I refer to it when complaining to
my husband who's job transfer dragged me here kicking and screaming, "This
Hellhole you moved me to." ; Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area,
but I HATE heat and humidity. Both of which are plentiful here.

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

this is Turtle.

If the $1600 is for just a Compressor , You need to check out another
price. If it is the whole outside unit, it might be in range.

In the 10 seer the goodman, Luxaire, York, Hiel, Arcoaire, and
Frigidaire are not real good equipment. now if you go to the 12 or the
13 seer units. the story changes to fair stuff.

TURTLE