Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

"udarrell" wrote in message
CBHVAC wrote:

"komobu" wrote in message
groups.com...

First...thanks for what you are doing..even if it allows some ****ers like
that one that posted later to still breathe...

1600 for a compressor change out, depending on the size and brand of the
condensor, is not as high as it sounds...however, if its 3 ton or less,
then it can be quite high for this area..VA, NC, SC..just depends on how
much the compressor costs and the brand name on the unit...

I have been able may times to change out an entire unit for less than
that, and still make a profit, so, you might want to shop around...and if
you do, remember, name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of
course its a Goodman..Goodman is STILL the cheapest POS on the
market...and while it will do the job, why install something that is prone
to failure more often than others, when you can get a better brand for
less, or the same price and have fewer issues with it.

"name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of course its a
Goodman. Goodman is STILL the cheapest POS on the market..."

... unless of course it is a Goodman, huh.

I have NO connection whatever to the Goodman Company.
However, I am willing to bet anyone, that the new Goodman 13-SEER or
higher unit "installed properly" will NOT fail more than other condenser
brands' no matter how much you pay for them!

Never knock another brand unless you can prove that their equipment will
fail more often "when properly installed" than the other brands!
What you pay for equipment does NOT determine the failure rate of the
equipment; I have seen high priced equipment fail early and repeatedly!

So what I should have said was..according to you..

I make most of my money repairing Goodman units that have been installed by
reputable companies when the homeower balked at the price of a Carrier, or
other name unit.
I keep more repair parts on all our vans for Goodman units than all other
units combined.
I have replaced personally more Goodman units due to rusted out cabnets than
all other units.
I order more parts for Goodman units than all other brands and can prove
it...

Is that what you are saying?

Face it..Goodman, is a cheap POS that works, but also keeps legit companies
in business...
Personally, I wont sell one, not when I can install a name brand unit for
less than most around here charge for a Goodman that didnt cost half of what
a better unit does.

Also, I have seen higher priced units fail..Nothing is perfect, nor will it
be. But when you have a known track record for failure..and its the SAME
failure over and over and over again, and the parent company refuses to
address it, and recall it, or repair it for free for the effected
homeowners..yea..im gonna knock the hell out of it.
Goodman, in that regard..SUCKS.

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

Or, better yet, a VS Copeland Scroll...

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing the
heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html