Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Michael Cunningham

Default Broken Dryer: Fix or Replace?

Anything over half the cost of a new dryer - replace it. It's a
no-brainer - you get a new machine and a warranty.

I agree with john.. replace it

Where did you see a gas dryer for $270? That seems awfully low to me -
usually they are almost double the cost of electric models.

I just bought a new gas dryer from sears for $399. It was the extra large
model so I could definitly see a $270 dryer being reasonable.

Crayola
Ken Sternberg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....sortfilter.jsp

John Davies wrote in message news:
Where did you see a gas dryer for $270? That seems awfully low to me -
usually they are almost double the cost of electric models.

Tom Young

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:01:52 +0000, Ken Sternberg wrote:

The electric Whirlpool dryer that we inherited with the house four years
ago is broken. The drum doesn't turn but the motor makes a humming
noise. One repair person told me it could mean the motor's gone, which
he said would cost $200 to replace. The dryer is probably at least six
to 10 years old. The minimal checking around I did showed that a new gas
dryer costs about $270. I have gas lines into my house and could install
a gas model.

I don't think I'd replace the motor in this dryer, but even if the
problem is something else, labor and parts would likely add up fast.
Should I fix this machine or buy a new one? Thanks very much.

Have you checked that it's not just a broken belt? They're pretty easy to
replace, if you're handy.

-Tom

Tom Young
t e y o u n g "at" a t t b i "dot" c o m
*To reply, remove _THIS_ from address*
John Davies

On 9 Sep 2003 10:10:54 -0700, (Ken Sternberg)
wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....sortfilter.jsp

John Davies wrote in message news:
Where did you see a gas dryer for $270? That seems awfully low to me -
usually they are almost double the cost of electric models.

Well, I guess I was mistaken. It makes my new $450 Fisher and Paykel
seem pretty expensive..... Live and learn.

John Davies
TomH

"Ken Sternberg" wrote in message
om...
The electric Whirlpool dryer that we inherited with the house four
years ago is broken. The drum doesn't turn but the motor makes a
humming noise. One repair person told me it could mean the motor's
gone, which he said would cost $200 to replace. The dryer is probably
at least six to 10 years old. The minimal checking around I did showed
that a new gas dryer costs about $270. I have gas lines into my house
and could install a gas model.

I don't think I'd replace the motor in this dryer, but even if the
problem is something else, labor and parts would likely add up fast.
Should I fix this machine or buy a new one? Thanks very much.

If you want to try to fix it yourself try http://www.repairclinic.com
I've fixed our washer and dryer at least two times each. Never was that
hard and never cost more than $10.00. Follow their directions in the
repair section and you can tell pretty easy if the motors bad.
If the motors not bad you should be able to repair it yourself
failrly cheap.

-Tom

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:25:18 -0700, John Davies
wrote:

Where did you see a gas dryer for $270? That seems awfully low to me -
usually they are almost double the cost of electric models.

Where are you where they are priced like that? Last time I shopped
for one I found them to be ONLY $30 to $75 more than the matching
electric models!
Ken Sternberg

I removed the rear metal panel covering the inside of the dryer.
There's a long rectangular-shaped metal box going from top tp bottom
at an angle. I don't see anything resembling a belt. What do I do now?

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Ken Sternberg wrote:
I removed the rear metal panel covering the inside of the dryer.
There's a long rectangular-shaped metal box going from top tp bottom
at an angle. I don't see anything resembling a belt. What do I do now?

Thats probably a guard over the belt. It should be removable by taking
out some sheet metal screws, or releaseing some clips, or just pry it
apart if its a friction fit.

--
Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Ken Sternberg

I took off the front panel, found the broken belt, and also the
detached tension pulley. I really am not very handy and can't figure
how to reattach this, nor how to attach the new belt around the
pulley. Let's say I can fix it and get it working, what's the life
expectancy of an 8-10 year old dryer, anyway?
Dan O.

Ken Sternberg wrote in message ...

I took off the front panel, found the broken belt, and also
thedetached tension pulley. I really am not very handy
and can't figure how to reattach this, nor how to attach
the new belt around the pulley.

You can see the most common dryer belt installation configurations at the
following link. BTW. If you buy a genuine FSP Whirlpool belt for your
Whirlpool dryer, they come with belt configuration instructions right on the
package.

http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=751

You can also find installation instructions at this link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=722

Let's say I can fix it and get it working, what's the life
expectancy of an 8-10 year old dryer, anyway?

We just came across the bill for our dryer, 1969. It has never needed
service!

I wouldn't expect any newer models to last that long but 15-20 years is not
unheard of for a dryer. Just as long as it isn't driven into the ground
before *starting* to look into a problem (screeching, grinding, etc.).

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com