Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi;

I am in the US Army stationed in Korea. I have a House in Virginia that
I am renting out. The AC compressor went out. And I am being quoted
1600 dollars to replace the compressor. I purchased the house in 1993,
and replaced the compressor in 94 or 95. The AC Unit is probably 20 or
more years old. I am trying to decide whether to repair the unit at
1600 or to install a brand new model with better efficiency. In another
year and a half, I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely. I would like to replace the unit in the off season
and is there a month that would be best for me to replace it? Please
provide me with some recommendations, specific name brand and model
numbers with pricing if known. Also, should I get a manual J done?

Thanks for any help
Pat

Hi, we are in N.C., and replaced our whole unit a couple years ago. Can't
recall if it's been two summers now or three, but we noticed a huge savings
on our electric bill the first summer. The new unit saved us at the very
least 1/3 off our summer cooling bills per month, most times closer to 1/2.
My husband said this new unit will have paid for itself in less than 5 years
time, in the savings off our cooling bills. With the old unit, some of
electric bills in the summer time were approaching $400, after the new unit,
we never had a bill that even neared the $300 mark, and I'm talking hot and
humid summer. If you'd like, I can ask my husband the name of the unit we
had installed? I know it was an off-brand model of a name brand. The guy
we had install it said 'it was made by the same company, same unit, etc. but
less expensive than the name brand.

Hope this helps.

td