Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

CBHVAC wrote:

"komobu" wrote in message
roups.com...

First...thanks for what you are doing..even if it allows some ****ers like
that one that posted later to still breathe...

1600 for a compressor change out, depending on the size and brand of the
condensor, is not as high as it sounds...however, if its 3 ton or less, then
it can be quite high for this area..VA, NC, SC..just depends on how much the
compressor costs and the brand name on the unit...

I have been able may times to change out an entire unit for less than that,
and still make a profit, so, you might want to shop around...and if you do,
remember, name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of course its
a Goodman..Goodman is STILL the cheapest POS on the market...and while it
will do the job, why install something that is prone to failure more often
than others, when you can get a better brand for less, or the same price and
have fewer issues with it.

"name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of course its a
Goodman. Goodman is STILL the cheapest POS on the market..."

.... unless of course it is a Goodman, huh.

I have NO connection whatever to the Goodman Company.
However, I am willing to bet anyone, that the new Goodman 13-SEER or
higher unit "installed properly" will NOT fail more than other condenser
brands' no matter how much you pay for them!

Never knock another brand unless you can prove that their equipment will
fail more often "when properly installed" than the other brands!
What you pay for equipment does NOT determine the failure rate of the
equipment; I have seen high priced equipment fail early and repeatedly!

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing
the heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html