Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

"CBHVAC" wrote

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi;

I am in the US Army stationed in Korea. I have a House in Virginia that
I am renting out. The AC compressor went out. And I am being quoted
1600 dollars to replace the compressor. I purchased the house in 1993,
and replaced the compressor in 94 or 95. The AC Unit is probably 20 or
more years old. I am trying to decide whether to repair the unit at
1600 or to install a brand new model with better efficiency. In another
year and a half, I will be moving back into the home and will live
there indefinitely. I would like to replace the unit in the off season
and is there a month that would be best for me to replace it? Please
provide me with some recommendations, specific name brand and model
numbers with pricing if known. Also, should I get a manual J done?

Thanks for any help
Pat

First...thanks for what you are doing..even if it allows some ****ers like
that one that posted later to still breathe...

1600 for a compressor change out, depending on the size and brand of the
condensor, is not as high as it sounds...however, if its 3 ton or less,
then it can be quite high for this area..VA, NC, SC..just depends on how
much the compressor costs and the brand name on the unit...

Another thing: You change a compressor only, you get 1 year warranty. If you
change the entire unit, you (sometimes) get 10 years. Depends on the
manufacturer. Some will not give the 10 years unless you change the
evaporator coil too.

I have been able may times to change out an entire unit for less than
that, and still make a profit, so, you might want to shop around...and if
you do, remember, name brands on the units today mean nothing, unless of
course its a Goodman..

or a York.

;-]

(I kid)