Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
news:7a3if.1410$AB2.744@trnddc08...

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .

"komobu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards having a new unit put in.
Bottom line is I would rather pay the extra cash and not have problems
than to save money and have nothing but problems. Is the Tempstar a
good line? I have never heard of them. The Smart Comfort 2400 has a
SEER of 14. It has a ten year waranty on a Scroll Compressor and a 5
year no hastle warranty on all functional parts. Thanks for any advice
on the unit and please provide name brand units that are known for
dependability.

Thanks
Pat

The unit we had installed is American Standard, supposedly a division of
Trane. Knock on wood, we haven't had a bit of trouble with it *and* our
power bills for cooling are significantly lower. I believe I heard this
was
one of the hottest summer seasons on record around here. We turned the

AC
on sooner and left it on longer than recent previous summers. We are in
North Carolina. I'd assume our weather is comparable to Virginia?

It's the other way around. Trane is a division of American Standard.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the *AC guy* linked the two names
together and told us it was basically the same unit, only cheaper.

Went to
the factory in Texas 2 years ago. Side-by-side down the assembly line.

Same
compresor, same coil. Then the cabinets are put on. Trane has a much nicer
cabinet, but not for the price you pay. Not knocking them. They are good
units. But you are just paying for the name.

And this one isn't as loud running than our old one that we replaced was.

And as far as weather goes, deoends on what part of Virginia or NC you are
in.....

We're in the Raleigh/Durham area. Or as I refer to it when complaining to
my husband who's job transfer dragged me here kicking and screaming, "This
Hellhole you moved me to." ; Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area,
but I HATE heat and humidity. Both of which are plentiful here.

td