Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default AC...Fix or Replace?

"udarrell" wrote

I have NO connection whatever to the Goodman Company.
However, I am willing to bet anyone, that the new Goodman 13-SEER or
higher unit "installed properly" will NOT fail more than other condenser
brands' no matter how much you pay for them. Never knock another brand
unless you can prove that their equipment will fail more often "when
properly installed" than the other brands!
What you pay for equipment does NOT determine the failure rate of the
equipment; I have seen high priced equipment fail early and repeatedly!

Darrell, I mean no offence by the following, but......

You may have "no connection whatever to the Goodman Company", but from your
response, I bet that 70% of the units you DO install are Goodmans.

Not saying anything is wrong with that. Goodman got the bad reputation
because they used to sell unit to ANYONE off the street. That's why every
time I get called out on a service call on a Goodman, the compressor has
crapped out within the first two years. Why? Because "Joe Blow" installed it
because "he knows how to solder a pipe" and doesn't use any kind of proper
procedure to install it. Not even, at the least, a vacuum pump. How can you
tell? Because there is not even a liquid line filter/drier installed and
PLUMMER'S SOLDER was used (trust me, You can tell).

Let's say someone that knows what they are doing and they do a proper
installation. Most Goodmans STILL look like they went through a war by the
time they are 2 years old! Cabinet faded to a light beige (when they started
out brown), condenser fan motor has a nice color of RUST (and I mean big,
flaky RUST!), fan blade looks like it's about ready to fall apart. Sorry,
but that is nothing I want to sell to a customer! Carrier used to be the
same way. The grill would rust out in no time and God blessed you if it went
more than 2 years without developing a leak in the condensor coil! They have
since improved. What about Goodman?

Now I can't say anything about Goodman's "new" line. I have been told that
the 13 SEER and above have completely different cabinets and they hold up a
lot better, but I just worked on a 14 SEER unit and, well, it looked like a
piece of sh*t! I don't know. Maybe that was just a fluke or an OLD 14 SEER,
but I am not going to run out and switch brands. Mainly because the
distribution center is 2 hours away. Other people in the business are going
to have to convince me that they are a product I can trust. And don't give
me that line of "well they have sold more units than all the other brands
combine" or whatever their sales pitch is. Maybe they were, but how many of
those lasted more than 4 years? Plus, when Joe Blow and Harry Homeowner can
come off the street and buy them, well, I guess sales are/were good.

Get a TXV metering device on the evaporator coil and a Copeland Scroll
compressor.

That was the point I was making before about getting an efficient model. No
sense of putting a 14 SEER condensing unit with an old 8 SEER, piston-type
evaporator coil. A lot of customers think you are just tacking on some extra
bucks to the job ("Just the outside unit is bad! I don't need to change the
inside coil!"), but they really DO save in the end.

First, get a "Energy Conservation Audit done, and then after reducing the
heat-gain/heat-loss, get a manual J done.

Amen....

- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html