FH

Default Front loading washing machines

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

cm

#1. Cost much more than top loader but will only last as long as a top
loader. (Quality is no better than the average top loader)

#2 Water is cheap in most cities so it will not noticeably save you money.

#3 They say they are better for your clothes? I see no difference with the
Maytag and Frigidaire's I have owned.

I will never buy another front loader. My wife might---he he he!

cm

"FH" wrote in message
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

Vic Dura

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:40:26 -0500, "FH" wrote:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water

True

and are in general better.

Not true IMO except for areas where water is *very* limited.

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

Pro:

1) Uses a lot less water and somewhat less energy.

2) They are expensive so they can be used as status symbols by the
conspicuous consumption crowd.

Cons:

1) You pay *a lot* for the water/energy you save. I doubt if the
savings will come anywhere near covering the additional purchase
costs.

2) The seal on the door is the weak point.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
FDR

"FH" wrote in message
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

Pros: Use less water and use less detergent and less electricity. They can
spin up to a faster and eliminate more water from the clothes so they dry
fasyer in the dryer, which is another savings. Can do really large loads,
which for me is great because we have kids and there's always things that
need to be washed. Quieter than a top loader. Can be stacked. Fun to
watch.

Cons: None so far except initial expense. The gasket on the front door
could be a leak source, but we haven't had any problems. You may need a
pedestal (sold seperately) to raise them to a more comfortable level for

I think the biggest difference is they do a better job agitating the
clothes. In a top loader, the agitator tries to swish the clothes
around in the tub. In the front loader, the clothes are constantly
falling on top of each other. IMO, that does a better job of
circulating them all around constantly and randomly. In my Kenmore
toploader, on the normal speed setting, I can see clothes that stay in
the same position for a long time, like on the outside of the tub, not
moving much at all.

How much of a difference this makes in how clean things come out or
whether it's worth the big price difference is another story. As to
using less water, while it's true that the cost of water isn't that
much in most places, the cost of hot water is definitely a factor.
Again, how much you wash will determine how much that amounts to.

Vic Dura wrote:

"FH" wrote:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water

True

About 2/3 less.

and are in general better.

Not true IMO except for areas where water is *very* limited.

Like, Europe :-) They also wear clothes less, with less soap and energy.

Pro:

1) Uses a lot less water and somewhat less energy.

2) They are expensive so they can be used as status symbols by the
conspicuous consumption crowd.

Babe magnets...

Cons:

1) You pay *a lot* for the water/energy you save. I doubt if the
savings will come anywhere near covering the additional purchase costs.

You might enjoy doubting with actual numbers.

2) The seal on the door is the weak point.

I like the Philips horizontal axis top loader, which uses a lot less energy
because it takes longer to wash, with lots of soaking and only occasional
motoring. Will it work on 240 V 60 vs 50 Hz? Can we buy it in the US?

Nick

Don't miss this opportunity to have every solar question you ever asked
answered in three different ways...

Join PE Drew Gillett and PhD Rich Komp and me for a workshop on Solar House
Heating and Natural Cooling Strategies at the first Pennsylvania Renewable
Energy Festival on Saturday September 24, 2005 near Allentown. See

http://www.paenergyfest.com/workshop-info.shtml

Joseph Meehan

FDR wrote:
"FH" wrote in message
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and
are in general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with
them both.

Pros: Use less water and use less detergent and less electricity. They
can spin up to a faster and eliminate more water from the
clothes so they dry fasyer in the dryer, which is another savings. Can do
really large loads, which for me is great because we have kids
and there's always things that need to be washed. Quieter than a top
loader. Can be stacked. Fun to watch.

Cons: None so far except initial expense. The gasket on the front
door could be a leak source, but we haven't had any problems. You may
need a pedestal (sold seperately) to raise them to a more comfortable
level for loading/unloading.

I think that is a good evaluation. I will add a couple of things.

They tend more expensive and have not been found to be more reliable or
longer lasting than top loaders. Some are better, but some are not.

They also tend to treat clothing easier, so your clothing will last and
little longer and will look a little better longer.

My next one will be a front loader. Right now I have a 15+ year old
Maytag top loader, made back when Maytag was better than most.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Sacramento Dave

"FH" wrote in message
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

We just bought a Maytag Neptune. It's suppose to use a quarter of the

water. So that would mean less gas to heat water so that would be a savings.
I don't think the factor of water and gas savings would be as much as the
salesman say.We also bought the matching dryer. One thing mentioned was the
gasket on the door we were told the water dose not get that high.( I'm sure
water will never touch that door) My wife said it took awhile to get use to
the front load, but comments on how much they hold and how well they work.
We have about a month on them now so far so good but I'm pretty convinced
most products are disposable theses days.

William Brown

I think they are not inherently unreliable, as they have been widely
used in Europe for many years, although the European machines are
usually smaller. Any unreliability problems would be more likely to be
the result of cost-cutting manufacturing techniques. And there are some
who would believe that manufacturers design in a level of unreliability
so they can sell more replacements.

The lack of an agitator is, in my opinion, the greatest advantage, as
that would tend to make your fabrics last longer.

I think most also require special detergents, which may or may not be an
advantage.

Personally, I am looking into a front loader that includes drying
capacity. They are pricey, but you save space and can put them anywhere
as no exhaust ducting is needed, and I think the time saved by not
having to be there to move the load from the washer to the dryer will be
well worth the cost.

FH wrote:
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

Percival P. Cassidy

We love our Kenmore front-loader (made by Frigidaire, which is now owned
by Electrolux).

We've had one repair: the controller module had to be replaced, but it
was covered by our service plan/extended warranty. Otherwise the part
would have been $200+ (plus labor).

The service guy said the most common problem with them (at least with
this model) is bearing failure (mucho espensivo to fix -- more than the
cost of a new machine -- because it takes two people at least a couple
of hours, plus a whole new drum/bearing/shaft assembly). But the most
common cause of this failure, he said, is using ordinary detergent
instead of the low-sudsing detergent made specially for front-loaders;
we stock up at Sears when they have it for half price.

Perce

On 08/11/05 11:40 pm FH tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

Curly Sue

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:22:15 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

"FH" wrote in message
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

We just bought a Maytag Neptune. It's suppose to use a quarter of the

water. So that would mean less gas to heat water so that would be a savings.
I don't think the factor of water and gas savings would be as much as the
salesman say.We also bought the matching dryer. One thing mentioned was the
gasket on the door we were told the water dose not get that high.( I'm sure
water will never touch that door).

Does that mean that you can open the door while it's going and add
stuff? I wondered about that with the front-loaders.

Sue(tm)
Topper39

My wife was unsure, but once we got used to it she now says we will
never go back to a top load washer.

Pros:

A lot less water. My Kenmore uses 14 gal/load compared to 40/load on a
top loader. At 10 loads per week (easy with 3 kids) thats thousands of
gallons a year.

I also use less enrgy to heat the water.

I do fewer loads per week. In my old top loader if you overstuffed it
the cloths on top would not even get wet during the wash cycle. This
will wash what I can put into it.

It takes better care of clothes by not having an agitator. This will
my your clothes last longer, saving even more money. Being gentler it
also lets me wash things I never could before, delicates,
Handwashables. I washed an outfit that had a maribou trim (feathers
for you guys without little girls).

With a faster spin speed the clothes come out with less moisture.
meaning less time spent in the Dryer.

Cons:
Wrinkles. If you use the faster spin speeds (1000 rpm on mine) your
mice shirts will have more wrinkles and need to be pressed. Use Normal
spin for dress shirts and Fast for towels and sheets.

You need the HE soap. I just buy the Sears brand with Oxiclean in it
when it goes on sale.

Takes a little getting used to. Seems too quiet when washing and
sounds like it is going to take off when the Spin starts. Things don't
drop back in when you drop them.

Because the clothes are damp instead of wet when the wash is done they
need to be moved to the dryer instead of being left in the wash a
couple of days.

Curly Sue wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:22:15 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

"Cons:
Wrinkles. If you use the faster spin speeds (1000 rpm on mine) your
mice shirts will have more wrinkles and need to be pressed. "

Do you put pants on the cat too?

zxcvbob

wrote:

"FH" wrote in message

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

We just bought a Maytag Neptune. It's suppose to use a quarter of the

water. So that would mean less gas to heat water so that would be a savings.
I don't think the factor of water and gas savings would be as much as the
salesman say.We also bought the matching dryer. One thing mentioned was the
gasket on the door we were told the water dose not get that high.( I'm sure
water will never touch that door).

Does that mean that you can open the door while it's going and add
stuff? I wondered about that with the front-loaders.

I have a Frigidaire front loader. (the classic design with a small "port
hole" in the front center, unlike the Neptune) You can pull the timer
knob to pause it, and the door unlocks so you can add that dirty sock
you found after starting the load. The water comes up just below the
door. If you used too much soap a little suds may spill out, but that's it.

Best regards,
Bob
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

"FH" wrote in message

[...]

The other good thing about the design: It's spin cycle runs at a very high
RPM so when the load is done, the clothes basically come out damp (as
opposed to wet) which means less drying time.

I have the Whirlpool Duets and i thought my wife was crazy at first (for
buying them) but we love 'em.....

Matt

FH wrote:
i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

The front loaders (in laundromats anyway) have more rinse cycles than
top loaders, so I think maybe they get the dirty soap out better.

Eric

FH wrote:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

I saw a kid nearly get killed in one of those things on TV, the door
wouldnt open once the cycle started and he was trapped.
Make damn sure you can open the door any time and also, I wouldnt even think
of owning one of those if i had young kids.
Eric

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eric" wrote in message

I saw a kid nearly get killed in one of those things on TV, the door
wouldnt open once the cycle started and he was trapped.
Make damn sure you can open the door any time and also, I wouldnt even
think
of owning one of those if i had young kids.
Eric

Interesting, a safety device that can kill you.

When my kids were playing hide and seek one day, my son got stuck in the
washing machine, a top loader. The tub shifted on him and he could not get
out. Laughable now, but it was not at the time.

Hank

I think the biggest difference is they do a better job agitating the
clothes. In a top loader, the agitator tries to swish the clothes
around in the tub. In the front loader, the clothes are constantly
falling on top of each other. IMO, that does a better job of
circulating them all around constantly and randomly. In my Kenmore
toploader, on the normal speed setting, I can see clothes that stay in
the same position for a long time, like on the outside of the tub, not
moving much at all.

Exactly. Also, since there is less water in the machine,
the water/soap solution is more concentrated. Also, the front
loaders are very quiet compared to the top loaders, especially
during the wash cycle.

-

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.truthout.org/
http://counterpunch.org/

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And
there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to
take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons
who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of
warfare or morality."
-bu$h describing his own illegal invasion of Iraq.
http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things
that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them. And then
he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did."
-- George W. Bush

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the
will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the
Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
-- Adolf Hitler

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
david

we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now.. I'll
never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are much more
efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside when we use
them.. geesh!!

"Eric" wrote in message
FH wrote:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water and are
in
general better. can someone tell me why if that's true?

i'd like to know the pros and cons if anyone has any experience with them
both.

I saw a kid nearly get killed in one of those things on TV, the door
wouldnt open once the cycle started and he was trapped.
Make damn sure you can open the door any time and also, I wouldnt even
think
of owning one of those if i had young kids.
Eric

Edwin Pawlowski

"david" wrote in message
news
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now.. I'll
never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are much more
efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside when we use
them.. geesh!!

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing the
old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Joseph Meehan

david wrote:
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids
inside when we use them.. geesh!!

Actually I understand the newer dryers are no more efficient than the
old ones, but the front loaders spin at a higher speed and the clothes come
drier to start with so the dryer does not need to work as hard.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

jstp

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
david wrote:
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids
inside when we use them.. geesh!!

Actually I understand the newer dryers are no more efficient than the
old ones, but the front loaders spin at a higher speed and the clothes

come
drier to start with so the dryer does not need to work as hard.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Yes, it's true generally, but I had a Hitachi top-loader washing machine
that spun as fast as today's front loaders. When it died after 17 years, I
got a Maytag Atlantis top-loader and was quite disappointed with the spin
speed, clothes comes out much wetter than with the Hitachi. Can't get a
front-loader though, not enough space in front to open a door.

Tom Miller

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:25:44 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

| "david" wrote in message
| news | we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now.. I'll
| never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are much more
| efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside when we use
| them.. geesh!!
|

| When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing the
| old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

My parents bought a new house in 1947 with a Bendix front load
"builder installed." I recall that it was bolted to the floor in a
corner of the kitchen, and when it went into its wringer cycle at the
end it shook the room -- that's why it was bolted to the floor I
guess. My mother loved it; her first automatic washing machine.
Amun

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"david" wrote in message
news
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now.. I'll
never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are much more
efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside when we use
them.. geesh!!

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing

the
old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Comical, isn't it.

The newest "innovations" are often rehashed ideas.

The front loaders were just abandoned by the manufacturers in the 60's when
you were supposed to "live better electricly" with all new power sucking
toys, right down to having electrical swizzle sticks.

People wanted lots of clean water to wash with, and front loaders wouldn't
hold as much as top loaders.

Electricity and water was cheap, we were all going to own "flying cars" and
the only talk of ozone was at the amusement park where the bumper cars were.

Sigh ! Am I just getting old ?

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in alt.home.repair:

"david" wrote in message
news
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside
when we use them.. geesh!!

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing
the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Bendix held patents for front loaders at least as early as the mid-1930s,
but production was virtually non-existent during WWII. It wasn't until
after the war that production and sales of automatic home laundry equipment
grew dramatically. The Westinghouse Laudromat was a major competitor
beginning in the mid-1940s.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright

"david" wrote in message
news
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside
when we use them.. geesh!!

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing
the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and restorations.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Wayne Boatwright

"david" wrote in message
news
we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside
when we use them.. geesh!!

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing
the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and restorations.

Oops, sorry, Ed.

http://automaticwasher.org/

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Tom Miller

On 27 Aug 2005 15:42:19 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 01:50:00a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in alt.home.repair:
|
| On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in alt.home.repair:
|

| "david" wrote in message
| news | we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
| I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
| much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside
| when we use them.. geesh!!
|

| When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing
| the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.
|
| Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and restorations.
|

| Oops, sorry, Ed.
|
| http://automaticwasher.org/

The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in 1947.
Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old) but very
close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.

I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a front
panel and it may have not been black. Looked very industrial, with
bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this was a design feature in
1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right after the big wartime
demand.

You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over almost
to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No dryers in those
days at our house, but the house came from the builder with a
clothesline in the back yard and the washer installed.

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 01:50:00a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in
| alt.home.repair:
|
| On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in
| alt.home.repair:
|

| "david" wrote in message
| news | we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year
| now.. I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer
| both are much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are
| no kids inside when we use them.. geesh!!
|

| When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother
| replacing the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about
| 1950 or so.
|
| Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and
| restorations.
|

| Oops, sorry, Ed.
|
| http://automaticwasher.org/

The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in 1947.
Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old) but very
close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.

I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a front
panel and it may have not been black. Looked very industrial, with
bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this was a design feature in
1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right after the big wartime
demand.

You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over almost
to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No dryers in those
days at our house, but the house came from the builder with a
clothesline in the back yard and the washer installed.

Like this one, Tom?

http://www.automaticwasher.org/FUN/1938Bendix.jpg

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Tom Miller

On 28 Aug 2005 09:19:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 10:04:13a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:
|
| On 27 Aug 2005 15:42:19 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
| wrote:
|
| | On Sat 27 Aug 2005 01:50:00a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in
| | alt.home.repair:
| |
| | On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in
| | alt.home.repair:
| |
| |
| | "david" wrote in message
| | news | | we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year
| | now.. I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer
| | both are much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are
| | no kids inside when we use them.. geesh!!
| |
| |
| | When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother
| | replacing the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about
| | 1950 or so.
| |
| | Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and
| | restorations.
| |
| |
| | Oops, sorry, Ed.
| |
| | http://automaticwasher.org/
|
| The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in 1947.
| Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old) but very
| close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.
|
| I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a front
| panel and it may have not been black. Looked very industrial, with
| bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this was a design feature in
| 1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right after the big wartime
| demand.
|
| You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
| machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over almost
| to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No dryers in those
| days at our house, but the house came from the builder with a
| clothesline in the back yard and the washer installed.
|
| Like this one, Tom?
|
| http://www.automaticwasher.org/FUN/1938Bendix.jpg
|

| --
| Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 10:04:13a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:
|

| The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in
| 1947. Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old)
| but very close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.
|
| I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a
| front panel and it may have not been black. Looked very
| industrial, with bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this
| was a design feature in 1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right
| after the big wartime demand.
|
| You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
| machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over
| almost to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No
| dryers in those days at our house, but the house came from the
| builder with a clothesline in the back yard and the washer
| installed.
|
| Like this one, Tom?
|
| http://www.automaticwasher.org/FUN/1938Bendix.jpg
|

| --
| Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

That's a really neat old machine! When our washing machine died, I can
remember going a couple of times with my mom to a laundromat where they had
a row of those machines.

Another interesting oldie... Back in the 1930s and 40s many large
apartment buldings had "drying rooms" adjacent to the room where similar
washers were installed. Clothes were hung on lines in traditional fashion,
then the room was closed and hot air was pumped into the room until the
clothes were dry.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
David Van Nort

We have a Maytag Neptune front loader and it does do a better job cleaning,
holds a ton of laundry ( three boys under ten) . It is gentler on clothes
than any top loader we've had including Maytag . However we have noticed
black mold growing on the door seal and treat it regularly with Sol-u-mel to
control it. Having said this we just received notice of a class action
lawsuit against Maytag as a result of mold, defective motors ( had ours
replaced with a new and better motor under warranty) and defective door
latches.This may or may not influence your decision on Maytag but front
loaders are definitely worth the extra price in our opinion

regards
dave