Tom Miller

On 27 Aug 2005 15:42:19 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 01:50:00a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in alt.home.repair:
|
| On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in alt.home.repair:
|

| "david" wrote in message
| news | we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now..
| I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are
| much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside
| when we use them.. geesh!!
|

| When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing
| the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.
|
| Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and restorations.
|

| Oops, sorry, Ed.
|
| http://automaticwasher.org/

The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in 1947.
Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old) but very
close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.

I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a front
panel and it may have not been black. Looked very industrial, with
bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this was a design feature in
1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right after the big wartime
demand.

You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over almost
to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No dryers in those
days at our house, but the house came from the builder with a
clothesline in the back yard and the washer installed.