Vic Dura wrote:

"FH" wrote:

i've never had one, but i've been told that they use less water

True

About 2/3 less.

and are in general better.

Not true IMO except for areas where water is *very* limited.

Like, Europe :-) They also wear clothes less, with less soap and energy.

Pro:

1) Uses a lot less water and somewhat less energy.

2) They are expensive so they can be used as status symbols by the
conspicuous consumption crowd.

Babe magnets...

Cons:

1) You pay *a lot* for the water/energy you save. I doubt if the
savings will come anywhere near covering the additional purchase costs.

You might enjoy doubting with actual numbers.

2) The seal on the door is the weak point.

I like the Philips horizontal axis top loader, which uses a lot less energy
because it takes longer to wash, with lots of soaking and only occasional
motoring. Will it work on 240 V 60 vs 50 Hz? Can we buy it in the US?

Nick

Don't miss this opportunity to have every solar question you ever asked
answered in three different ways...

Join PE Drew Gillett and PhD Rich Komp and me for a workshop on Solar House
Heating and Natural Cooling Strategies at the first Pennsylvania Renewable
Energy Festival on Saturday September 24, 2005 near Allentown. See

http://www.paenergyfest.com/workshop-info.shtml