Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 09:28:29a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 28 Aug 2005 09:19:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

| On Sat 27 Aug 2005 10:04:13a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:
|

| The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in
| 1947. Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old)
| but very close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.
|
| I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a
| front panel and it may have not been black. Looked very
| industrial, with bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this
| was a design feature in 1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right
| after the big wartime demand.
|
| You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the
| machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over
| almost to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No
| dryers in those days at our house, but the house came from the
| builder with a clothesline in the back yard and the washer
| installed.
|
| Like this one, Tom?
|
| http://www.automaticwasher.org/FUN/1938Bendix.jpg
|

| --
| Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

That's a really neat old machine! When our washing machine died, I can
remember going a couple of times with my mom to a laundromat where they had
a row of those machines.

Another interesting oldie... Back in the 1930s and 40s many large
apartment buldings had "drying rooms" adjacent to the room where similar
washers were installed. Clothes were hung on lines in traditional fashion,
then the room was closed and hot air was pumped into the room until the
clothes were dry.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.