Stormin Mormon

Default Gasoline siphon

I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of
ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable. And I
got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas into a
gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas, and hope it
mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Robert Allison

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of
ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable. And I
got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas into a
gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas, and hope it
mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

Go get a clear 5/8" plastic hose. Put one end in the gas tank
of your truck. Blow through the hose and keep pushing it into
the tank until you hear bubbling and feel resistance. That
means it is in the gas.

Now, get the other end as low as possible and suck on it
steadily. When you see the gas approaching, take the hose out
of your mouth and put it into the gas can.

If you are not quick, you may have to rinse your mouth out
with a cold soda.

Now I KNOW that the old arts are being forgotten.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Go get a clear 5/8" plastic hose. If you are not quick, you may have to
rinse your mouth out with a cold soda.

Now I KNOW that the old arts are being forgotten.

When I learned how to do that, clear hose was not available, just a red
rubber hose into the tank of a '50 Chevy. You just guessed. Sometimes you
guessed wrong. BLECH!

TURTLE

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of
ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable. And I
got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas into a
gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas, and hope it
mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

--

Christopher A. Young

This is Turtle.

Are you sure you got water and how much.

A little water : Fill up and put 3 bottle of costal water remover from Auto zone
and burn it out. If you ain't got no money. Get you 3 or 4 pints of rubbing
alcohol and pour in it on a full tank.

A lot of water. Get you a cordless drill and a self starting metal roofing screw
with the rubber gasket and washer. Drill a hole in the lowest part of the gas
tank and drain till just gas comes out. just tighten up screw where the gasket
and washer will cut the gas off from coming out. If you feel you will never need
it again. Clean the screw area real good and cover the screw and area around it
with J.B. Weld and it will seal it off for any gas leaking any more.

TURTLE

PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Go get a clear 5/8" plastic hose. If you are not quick, you may have to
rinse your mouth out with a cold soda.

Now I KNOW that the old arts are being forgotten.

When I learned how to do that, clear hose was not available, just a red
rubber hose into the tank of a '50 Chevy. You just guessed. Sometimes you
guessed wrong. BLECH!

I shot some ******* in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the **** away
from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

--

SVL

George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

I've got a nit pick. What is "costal water?"
And a better solution. rubbing alcohol is
commonly 70 percent so it has a lot of water. It
would be ?possibly? cheaper and much better to use
denatured alcohol from the paint store. Fresh,
denatured alcohol will be somewhere between 100
and 95 percent alcohol. But you really only need
a pint can of standard gas additive for just about
any amount of water.

However, he said bad gas. Does that mean old gas?
if so, then Stormin ought to drain the tank. He
can do that several ways, but on a truck it would
be about as easy to just pull the tank; I wouldn't
put a hole in it. Or, he could disconnect the
line at the gas filter and put 15 pounds or so
pressure on the tank with a compressor. A hose in
the tank with a sock wrapped around would be a
good enough seal for 15 pounds. And I would wash
the tank out with another 2-3 gallons of fresh gas.
Joseph Meehan

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a
squirt of ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

Exactly what do you mean by "bad gas?"

Water, old, dirty moldy ????

The fix sort of depends on the problem. I suspect you are going to have
a clogged filter as well.

Hint. Depending on your truck you may be able to access the tank via
the opening for the fuel gauge. You also may need to drop the tank, no easy
job with a full tank.

You may want to try www.cartalk.com Be sure to include information
about why you think the gas is bad and exactly what make model and year of
truck. You are likely to get specific information for your truck.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable.
And I got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only
marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas
into a gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas,
and hope it mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

m Ransley

Heat in the red bottle, Isiprople alcohol absorbes the most water, twice
as much as the yellow bottle Heat or straight denatured alcohol should
make it burnable. It may take 6 bottles of heat. I used to live in
Europe and brought over an American T Bird with a 390, Often I would
pour in 2-3 literes of alcohol the gas was so crappy the car would
hardly run. Alcohol absorbes water and allows it to burn in the
alcohol, Easiest is to get it running with alcohol, run it down and put
in better gas. I had a Clark gas station near me constantly selling bad
gas, the service station across the street was draining alot of their
customers tanks and the station was paying for it. The worst time to buy
gas is the day before and day after the delivery truck comes, all the
crap on the bottom is stirred up.

Doug Miller

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of
ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

More likely, either:
a) fuel filter is plugged
b) fuel pump is failing

Change the fuel filter first. On most cars, they're cheap - and unless you've
recently changed it, it probably needs changing anyway.

If that doesn't fix the problem, disconnect the fuel line and measure the fuel
pump pressure.

--
Regards,

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Go get a clear 5/8" plastic hose. If you are not quick, you may

have to
rinse your mouth out with a cold soda.

Now I KNOW that the old arts are being forgotten.

When I learned how to do that, clear hose was not available, just a

red
rubber hose into the tank of a '50 Chevy. You just guessed.

Sometimes you
guessed wrong. BLECH!

Or do it without sucking if there is enough gas in the tank. Push all
the hose in (hoping the end stays under), put thumb over open end and
pull hose out (hoping end stays under). Lower end and remove thumb.
Works about 60% of time for me. I hate the tast of gas and you taste it
for hours after sucking a mouthful.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

I shot some ******* in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the **** away
from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

Sorry, but that was not me as I was nowhere near your farm. Besides, you
are a lousy shot and missed and buy cheap gas.

m Ransley

Does it run fine, then it is not bad gas.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a
squirt of ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

Exactly what do you mean by "bad gas?"

Water, old, dirty moldy ????

The fix sort of depends on the problem. I suspect you are going to

have
a clogged filter as well.

Hint. Depending on your truck you may be able to access the tank via
the opening for the fuel gauge. You also may need to drop the tank, no

easy
job with a full tank.

You may want to try www.cartalk.com Be sure to include information
about why you think the gas is bad and exactly what make model and year of
truck. You are likely to get specific information for your truck.

Chris has, or had, an older model Dodge B-Van.
Thing that kills me, when I read his original post was that IIRC on the era
van hes got, it was before they went to the plastic tanks like on the 03s we
run, and there is a drain on them just for getting water and such out.

On alot of the newer stuff, there is what is called a rollover valve in the
line leading from the filler neck, to the tank, and thats as far as hes
gonna get with the hose as normally when you go to fill,it will float up and
out of the way, but a hose will do no such thing to it.

With his history, I am just curious how many of his customers, neighboors
and such found out this morning they were a few gallons shy.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable.
And I got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only
marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas
into a gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas,
and hope it mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

William Brown

If you just want to siphon, get a clear plastic tube, stiff enough so
that you can insure it is in the gas in the tank when you insert it.
Buy some good gas and fill the tube with it, keeping both ends at the
same height. Put your thumb over the end you want the gas to come out
of. This will keep the gas from running out of the tube while you
insert the other end into the tank. Once you have the filled tube into
the gas in the tank, lower the other end to the empty gascan, keeping
the empty can and the end of the tube well below the level of the gas
tank. Remove your thumb and the flow will start. No need for sucking.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a load of bad gas in the truck. Only starts if I give it a squirt of
ether. This is getting tired in a hurry.

I've tried the siphons with the squeeze bulb. Only barely acceptable. And I
got on eof the Mr. Goodpump with the piston pump. Still only marginal.

Anyone out there tell me how to safely drain a couple galons of gas into a
gascan. Then I can go buy some of a different brand of gas, and hope it
mixes in.

That ether can routine is getting irritating.

there.
TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
[...]

Coastal Water : The Green Water remover at Auto Zone that the locals use to get
water out of the gas. The Locals call it Co Water .

Now to Plain 70% water Rubbing Alcohol as a water absorber. The rubbing Alcohol
will Mix up a lot of water in the gas , if you have a lot gas in the tank. The
rubbing Alcohol is not just to absorb the water but it is to make the water mix
with the gas. Alcohol in a mix of gas and water is like putting soap in a mix
oil and water which will make them mix and be one product.

Now using rubbing alcohol is the last resort when you don't have any money and
everybody has a few bottles of rubbing alcohol laying around or get some at $.50
a bottle. If you have money go get two bottles of Coastal Water Remover at Auto
Zone and fill the tank with gas then be done with it.

The 100% Denatured Alcohol is high as a cats back to use for water remover when
Coastal water remover is $2.00 a bottle.

TURTLE

TURTLE

George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Ah, that explains it. We don't have an Auto Zone.
I don't know what your costs are but isopropyl is
about $1 per 16oz bottle (8 to the gallon) (and
they are 30 percent water). The little 8 oz cans
of gasline antifreeze (16 to the gallon) cost
nearly $1. So I don't see that denatured alcohol
at $9-10 a gallon is any more expensive. Anyway,
ethyl alcohol (denatured) is fully miscible with
water and fully miscible with gas. The point of
the alcohol is to keep the water mixed and not let
it separate. A quart of alcohol would probably be
enough to get 2-3 quarts of water to mix fully
with 10 gallons of gas. Two quarts of water in
10 gallons of gas would highly degrade the gas
regardless of what you use to get it to mix. Best
deal would be to eliminate (or trap) the water
instead of mixing it with the gas. Anyway,
something is seriously wrong if one has more than
a couple of ounces in 20 gallons of gas.
Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
The little 8 oz cans of gasline antifreeze (16 to the gallon) cost nearly
$1. So I don't see that denatured alcohol at $9-10 a gallon is any more
expensive. Anyway, ethyl alcohol (denatured) is fully miscible with water
and fully miscible with gas. The point of the alcohol is to keep the
water mixed and not let it separate.

Doesn't the use of Gashol that we have in many areas eliminate the need to
add any additional gas treatment for water?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

m Ransley

Coastal water I hear they drink it down south.

Adding alcohol does not degrade gas if it has water in it, it in fact
increases octane and it is common in the midwest to be 10% alcohol from
the pump. Pure alcohol can absorbe something like 10% water and not have
a volume increase of the alcohol. Alcohol is harder to start on and less
power , but absorbes water alowing it to be burned. For a car that
nocks besause it needs higher octane you have 2 choises retard timing or
add alcohol . But just hard starting could be 20 different car problems
and not bad gas.

m Ransley

Gasohol is better but doesn`t address people who leave their tanks
always low so condensation develops or buying the bottom of a stations
tank. Alcohol can only absorbe so much. Often problems are atibuted to a
stations leaking tanks or no maintenance when water is detected. I don`t
buy gas up to 1 day after the suplier arrives because the bottom crud is
mixed up and has to settle. Most issues can be avoided filling the tank
full instead of near empty and only adding 5$

PaPaPeng

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:44:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

and buy cheap gas.

Huh. There is still cheap gas to be had? Where can I find it?

Curly Sue

wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

I shot some ******* in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the **** away
from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

Sorry, but that was not me as I was nowhere near your farm. Besides, you
are a lousy shot and missed and buy cheap gas.

Actually, I was kinda amazed that so many people here have experience
in siphoning gas. Is it a "guy thing"? Is that why so many guys
spit? (Another thing I can't figure out.)

Sue(tm)
Backlash

Sue , one reason some men spit is because we are normally exposed to a
little dirtier environment during the course of a day of work than most
women are. Ever crawled under your house? I also think men may have more
sinus congestion and post-nasal drip than women, while sleeping. A lot of
guys I know comment on having to "clear out their pipes" when they get up in
the morning, a natural effect of standing up and gravity doing it's work.
Straight to the back of the throat it all goes.

RJ

wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

I shot some ******* in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the ****
away
from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

Sorry, but that was not me as I was nowhere near your farm. Besides, you
are a lousy shot and missed and buy cheap gas.

Actually, I was kinda amazed that so many people here have experience
in siphoning gas. Is it a "guy thing"? Is that why so many guys
spit? (Another thing I can't figure out.)

Sue(tm)

George E. Cawthon

m Ransley wrote:
Coastal water I hear they drink it down south.

Adding alcohol does not degrade gas if it has water in it, it in fact
increases octane and it is common in the midwest to be 10% alcohol from
the pump. Pure alcohol can absorbe something like 10% water and not have
a volume increase of the alcohol. Alcohol is harder to start on and less
power , but absorbes water alowing it to be burned. For a car that
nocks besause it needs higher octane you have 2 choises retard timing or
add alcohol . But just hard starting could be 20 different car problems
and not bad gas.

Your points are valid but any water in the gas
degrades performance, i.e., energy value per
gallon. If water is the hard starting problem,
then draining the carb and replacing the filter is
probably the first course of action. If the car
starts, it will probably draw all the water into
the engine in a short period so continued hard
starting is unlikely to be caused by water in the
gas.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

I shot some ******* in about 1972 that was siphoning gas on our farm.

Caught him in the act... he hightailed it away in a '50 chev...

I will shoot your ass again if catch you, so you better stay the ****

away
from here, unless you've changed yer ways.

Sorry, but that was not me as I was nowhere near your farm. Besides, you
are a lousy shot and missed and buy cheap gas.

Aww....you're no fun anymore, Ed...

===

To answer Chris's question though...dont know how old his rig is so it may
not be possible...depending...but what I usually do in these cases is I will
use the rigs own fuel pump..as generally anymore there is an electric pump
inside the gas tank....just disconnect the fuel line at the carb or fuel
rail, drop it into a jug and turn on the ignition....

--

SVL

lp13-30

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and run it to a container. Then get
a one gallon can with some good gas, set it up on the roof of the van ,
put a hose in it and start a siphon and quickly hook it to the carb.
Start it and let it pump the tank dry. I had to do that when I put gas
in my Diesel, except of course it was the injection pump instead of
carb. Larry

Art Todesco

Ok, the other day I needed to empty the snow blower of its gas. I
always spill it or get it all over my hands, so here's what I did. I
took a 1/4" ID plastic hose and put one end into the gas tank. The
other end went into the gas can where I wanted the gas to go. I then
used my air hose (from the compressor) to push air into the gas tank ...
my hand helped to seal the opening around the 2 hoses going into the gas
tank opening. Voila ... the gas was pushed through the 1/4" tube into
the can. Actually, once it starts, siphon takes over and the air hose
probably isn't needed. And, you need to get the hose into the lowest
part of the tank.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

Actually, I was kinda amazed that so many people here have experience
in siphoning gas. Is it a "guy thing"? Is that why so many guys
spit? (Another thing I can't figure out.)

Sue(tm)

When we were kids, we'd always be playing with gas power tools, mowers,
outboard motors, whatever. Gas often came from the family car.

As for spitting, that is just a dirty habit some people get into for some
reason. Glad I never did as it looks disgusting. Maybe it was necessary
for a rancher, farmer or someone working out in the dust.

TURTLE

TURTLE wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Let me put this one on you. Did you know that regular gas with no Alcohol or
additives has to be 6% water to start with !

TURTLE

George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:
((snipped))

This is Turtle.

Let me put this one on you. Did you know that regular gas with no Alcohol or
additives has to be 6% water to start with !

TURTLE

Nope, didn't know that. Not sure I believe it
since the water and gas are not miscible and
would just pool in a container. BTW, 6 percent
of 20 gallons would be a pint of water. That much
in the bottom of your tank would probably cause
the car to not start and would likely ruin the gas
filter.

Suggest that you put a gallon of fresh gas in a
gallon jug. Tip it about 30 degrees so all the
water will pool in a small area in the bottom and
then check after sitting for a day. No water?
Put a teaspoon of water in and see if you can see
that pool? If you can, then don't believe the 6
percent water in gas.

Backlash

Did you know that Butane is added to gasoline in the winter in the
Southeast?
We have one of 2 butane bulk facilities in my state, and the state
inspector told me about it.

RJ
..
TURTLE wrote:
[...]

TURTLE

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

I see you have not burned well head drip gas stolen from the well heads and
burned in your truck or car. Well head and drip gas like this has no water in it
and burns pretty hot and will burn your valve out of your engine in a year or
so. So the hands had to put a jug of water dripping water into the carberator
while running to keep the cyclinder from burning too hot. Without the water the
gas will burn your engine up in just a short while.

And no they refinnerys don't just pour the water in the gas and hope it will
mix. they call this refinning the fuel. Now when the water drops out of the
fuel. It is called bad gas and will give you trouble tring to burn it without
the water in it. You need to check with a person that deals with the propertys
that gas has in it and find out about the water in it.

TURTLE

George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

You're right, I have never used or stolen any
gas in my life, well head or other. I'm no
gasoline expert, but well head gas is low octane
and that is why it burns up engines. Adding water
reduces the octane requirement and that principle
was used in the water injection airplane engines,
but just dripping water in to the carb isn't very
effective, but would reduce cylinder temperatures.

My reading does not indicate refineries add any
water to gasoline. The only way that they could
keep it mixed in is if they also added an alcohol
or other oxygenate; lots of gasoline blends do not
include any oxygenate, so any added water would
just pool.

Refining has nothing to do with water, it consists
of distilling petroleum into different fractions,
naphtha, diesel, tar, etc. and cracking which is
splitting long chains into shorter more useful
chains such as those in naphtha (gas).

I think your 6 percent water is just an old wives
tale. I haven't searched the ASTM and SAE
specifications for gasoline but doubt that there
are any that deal that indicate 6 percent water is
acceptable or that require added water.
George E. Cawthon

Backlash wrote:
Did you know that Butane is added to gasoline in the winter in the
Southeast?
We have one of 2 butane bulk facilities in my state, and the state
inspector told me about it.

RJ

Nope, but there are various cold start additives,
butane could be one.
TURTLE

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

The reason I say this is I worked for Exxon Co. U.S.A. in the off shore
production operations and the engineers would use this to make money off anybody
who was mouthing off about the production operation. They would bait them up and
bet them about the 6% water and loose when you really went and checked up how
much water is suppended in gas. It is not in the form of water but all the basic
item are there if you check up and see. Water is H2O and there is 6 % H & O in
the gas and in the right perportions. The % may very as to the Octane rating but
still around 6 % .

TURTLE

Rudy

A little water : Fill up and put 3 bottle of costal water remover from
Auto zone
and burn it out. If you ain't got no money. Get you 3 or 4 pints of
rubbing alcohol and pour in it on a full tank.

Make sure its PURE alcohol..and not the WATERED down stuff. I used to use
methyl hydrate.

Got a carb rather than fuel injection ?..if so, dont for get to drain the
crud out of the carb bowl

George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

The reason I say this is I worked for Exxon Co. U.S.A. in the off shore
production operations and the engineers would use this to make money off anybody
who was mouthing off about the production operation. They would bait them up and
bet them about the 6% water and loose when you really went and checked up how
much water is suppended in gas. It is not in the form of water but all the basic
item are there if you check up and see. Water is H2O and there is 6 % H & O in
the gas and in the right perportions. The % may very as to the Octane rating but
still around 6 % .

TURTLE

And you guys bought this? "There is 6 percent
water, but it is not in the form of water but all
the basic item are there." If it is not in the
form of water, it isn't water, that's basic
chemistry. Gasoline can have up to 500 different
compounds in it; most of those compounds are
composed of just H and C but some, but a very low
proportion of those compounds, depending on the
petroleum source, also have O, N, S or metals in
their make up. I have no idea what the
engineers were telling you guys but if your
understanding is what they were saying, they must
have been laughing their asses off.

Removing rubber stain caused by gasoline.. how? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 10th 05 10:00 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM
Syphon Gasoline Out of Auto Gas Tank? Steve Mackie Home Repair 6 July 2nd 03 06:44 PM