Gunner

Default White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:17:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

From: "Halcitron"
Subject: White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline
Date: Sunday, April 27, 2003 4:31 PM

White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline
© 1995 E. Michael Smith

These fuels are all related in that all of them are of similar boiling
points
and are distilled from petroleum from the same 'cut'. Gasoline is more
broad
in the 'cut' and has a wider range of materials in it. It also has
additives
that make it store less well. Coleman Fuel is a particular brand of the
more
generic product, white gas. White gas is gasoline without the additives in
it
yet, and may or may not be a broad cut like regular gasoline.

They all have some very nice properties as a storage fuel. They also have
some
profound differences.

Coleman fuel doesn't age and varnish up the way gasoline does. White gas is
not as clean a cut as Coleman Fuel, but I've not done long duration storage
tests on it. It might, or might not, store as well. I've used several year
old Coleman fuel with no problems at all. Gasoline more than 1 year old is
marginal. Store it for a couple of years and it will smell of varnish and
have
odd deposits on the bottom of the can.

All of these fuels are of a moderately high vapor pressure, so they can puff
up
cans in a hot trunk. Gasoline does this more, since it has more 'light'
hydrocarbons. In some cold climates, these can even include Butane! You
will
need a fuel bottle that can take some internal pressure if you intend to
store
gasoline or white gas fuels in a hot car trunk. I've done a multi year test
with Coleman Fuel in a Sigg fuel bottle in a Honda. It worked well. I've
not
tested Unleaded in similar circumstances. If you do store gasoline, use
summer gas. It has a higher boiling point and less light hydrocarbons.

These fuels burn very cleanly. They are easy to light. They evaporate
readily, so spills are to some extent self policing. The fuels are cheap,
and
readily available. Unleaded gasoline is about the most commonly available
fuel
you could want. Stoves and lanterns to use them are available from many
manufacturers just about everywhere.

So why not just use gasolines or Coleman Fuel as your camping and
preparedness
fuel of choice?

Why not, indeed. It would be a reasonable choice for most people. The
stoves
and lanterns do require pumping, which some folks find a bother. They must
be
refilled with a liquid, so you have a chance for leakage and spillage.
Getting
them lit when cold can take a while and does require a bit of a knack,
especially for the lanterns. (You wait and wait and just about when fear
has
led you to believe that the lantern will blow up any minute, the gas finally
reaches the mantle and lights, often with a startling POOF!) For folks with
no
or little mechanical aptitude, Propane or Butane are better choices.

If you have low availability of unleaded gasoline (such as someone living in
country where leaded gasoline still is the most common) or want a safer fuel
in
storage and don't mind the esthetics of use quite as much, then Kerosene
is
a good choice.

For most folks, though, Unleaded or White Gas is the fuel of choice, and
Coleman Fuel is just about the best brand.

Once per year, about August, I cycle my stored gasoline. The old stuff gets
dumped into the car (easy with a gas car, a bit trickier but still doable
with
a Diesel car). Then I buy a new fresh 5 gallons worth for the next
year.
The gas, being above the 2 gallon limit imposed by my home insurance for
garage
storage, goes into a detached shed away from the house. Check your
insurance
limits for flammables restrictions.

On a general use basis, I use Coleman Fuel. When fishing or camping, the
clean
burning of it, the lower smell, and the general convenience of a fuel that
treats my appliances well is worth the added cost to me. In an emergency,
I'd
use my stored gasoline. There are an increasing number of stoves these
days
that can burn your choice of {unleaded, white gas, kerosene}, so the issue
of
which fuel to choose for storage is a bit less coupled to stove choice.

If you have a gasoline car, I'd opt for Unleaded Gasoline and a 'Dual Fuel'
stove/lantern that uses unleaded and improve the storage system by putting
the
fuel in an insulated container like an ice chest (sans ice). The goal is to
cut the peak temperature experienced by the stored fuel. The insulation of
the
ice chest would help do this.

Coleman fuel is my emergency stove and lantern storage fuel of choice for
all
things other than my present car, where I use Kerosene, since I can run my
Diesel on that in a pinch. For the average person driving a gasoline car,
I'd
use Unleaded gasoline in a Sigg or MSR type fuel bottle and appliances made
for
white gas/Coleman Fuel/Unleaded.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is easier to harrass rich women
than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker
timleech

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 07:43:08 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:17:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Metalworking content?
Nil
OT flag?
None

Plonker
Yes!

Tim Leech
Dutton Dry-Dock

Gunner

wrote:

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:17:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Metalworking content?
Nil
OT flag?
None

Plonker
Yes!

Gosh oh gee willikers Mr Tim. I seemed to have missed your outrage on
the Silly Putty thread. Please repost. Now..if you are so Urban, or
so arrogant that you are unable to understand that quite a number of
posters here, may indeed use White Gas, Coleman Fuel or Unleaded
Gasoline in verious TOOLS, such as lanterns, heaters, and stoves (all
made of metal btw), I pity you.

I wonder if others feel the same way as you do, that this post has no
redeeming values on this newsgroup. Would you care to ask the
question? Hummmm?

Cleaned up for clarity....just to spite your sorry ass.....

White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline © 1995 E.
[...]

as someone living in a country where leaded gasoline still
[...]

Kevin Archibald

Gunner,

Don't forget using White Gas in my Blowtorch... Works well for
soldering, heating steel for tempering.

_kevin

wrote:

[...]

Bob Swinney

Gunner,
I thought your post was quite nice. It answered some questions I had on the
subject(s). On the other hand, I am probably not quite as sophisticated as
some other posters on RCM, so don't take too much pride in my endorsement.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:15:47 GMT, "Bob Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner,
I thought your post was quite nice. It answered some questions I had on the
subject(s). On the other hand, I am probably not quite as sophisticated as
some other posters on RCM, so don't take too much pride in my endorsement.

Bob Swinney

Bob..on the Grand Scale of things, Id much rather have your criticism
or approval on any subject, than 10 of the more "Sophisticated" here.

Regards

Gunner

.. .

wrote:

[...]

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Gunner,
I thought your post was quite nice. It answered some questions I had on the
subject(s). On the other hand, I am probably not quite as sophisticated as
some other posters on RCM, so don't take too much pride in my endorsement.

Then again, maybe you are.

Bob..on the Grand Scale of things, Id much rather have your criticism
or approval on any subject, than 10 of the more "Sophisticated" here.

I think you swiped that line from me. Anyway, Ditto!

Jim

please reply to:

JTMcC

"Bob Swinney" wrote in message
Gunner,
I thought your post was quite nice. It answered some questions I had on

the
subject(s). On the other hand, I am probably not quite as sophisticated

as
some other posters on RCM, so don't take too much pride in my endorsement.

That's a good one!

JTMcC.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Eastburn

Regarding Coleman Fuel -

I once was an AMA member - no not doctors - the model areo group :-)

THe longest RC flight was done using Coleman fuel - southern Ca to AZ
IIRC.

THe pilot was in a chase car. The fuel was used as it was the cleanest
and
wouldn't gum up the engine.

Anything was possible - it was chosen as the best.

Later, an attempt was to cross the Atlantic - but I had dropped out by
that time
and never heard if it was attempted.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Eastburn

One point - remember un-leaded gas does have additives.

Some of those are nasty to the food taste and body :-)

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Peter T. Keillor III

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 04:04:12 GMT, Eastburn
wrote:

Regarding Coleman Fuel -

I once was an AMA member - no not doctors - the model areo group :-)

THe longest RC flight was done using Coleman fuel - southern Ca to AZ
IIRC.

THe pilot was in a chase car. The fuel was used as it was the cleanest
and
wouldn't gum up the engine.

Anything was possible - it was chosen as the best.

Later, an attempt was to cross the Atlantic - but I had dropped out by
that time
and never heard if it was attempted.

Martin

Attempted and completed about a month ago. See
http://tam.plannet21.com/

Very cool stuff.

Pete Keillor
Eastburn

Thanks !!!

That was some trip - and nice blow by blow.

High quality pictures.

Martin -