Steve Mackie

Default Syphon Gasoline Out of Auto Gas Tank?

You would have to disconnect the filler neck from the tank and insert your
syphon into the tank from there. Even then I'm not sure it would work. I am
not that familiar with the workings. I know that 1995+ GM W bodies have a
check ball to prevent gas from spilling out the filler neck. I'm just not
sure where exactly it is, if it's in the neck or the tank.

Steve

"jay1000" wrote in message
I've got a 2 KW Honda generator. Figured on using gasoline from my two

cars
if we ever had to run the generator for a long period of time. So I

bought
a hand-pump primed gasoline syphon (hate the taste of gasoline) and tested
it by syphoning from a gas can to the Honda gas tank. Then I tried to
syphon out of the car gas tank to the gasoline can and it doesn't work.

The
only reason I can think of is the end of the hose is not in the gasoline
pool in the car's gasoline tank. The plasic hose tends to curl so that
might be the problem. Or there can be some sort of baffle in the tanks to
prevent syphoning. One car is a 98 Cutlass and the other is a 2000

Subaru.

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?

---

Robert A. Barr

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?

Probably you're hitting slosh-control baffling. I have the same 'problem' with
a '90 Pontiac. I thought it would serve nicely as an emergency fuel source, but
no luck.

Dave

"jay1000" wrote in message news:MJjMa.171$1a6.162@lakeread01...

When I need to drain a fuel tank I usually just attach a hose to the
fuel pressure test port (r12 type fitting)and then bypass the fuel
pump relay to run the fuel pump. Just be carefull to monitor the fuel
and to not let the pump run dry.

I've got a 2 KW Honda generator. Figured on using gasoline from my two cars
if we ever had to run the generator for a long period of time. So I bought
a hand-pump primed gasoline syphon (hate the taste of gasoline) and tested
it by syphoning from a gas can to the Honda gas tank. Then I tried to
syphon out of the car gas tank to the gasoline can and it doesn't work. The
only reason I can think of is the end of the hose is not in the gasoline
pool in the car's gasoline tank. The plasic hose tends to curl so that
might be the problem. Or there can be some sort of baffle in the tanks to
prevent syphoning. One car is a 98 Cutlass and the other is a 2000 Subaru.

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?

Muff

The days of midnight gas runs are just about over with....the anti slosh,
environmental and baffles just about eliminate the opportunity to get the
siphon hoses to work. Oh for the good old days. Guess you will have to buy
a new bigger fuel can and fill it at the local gas pump. Damn, will have to
pay for it too.
Muff

"jay1000" wrote in message
I've got a 2 KW Honda generator. Figured on using gasoline from my two

cars
if we ever had to run the generator for a long period of time. So I

bought
a hand-pump primed gasoline syphon (hate the taste of gasoline) and tested
it by syphoning from a gas can to the Honda gas tank. Then I tried to
syphon out of the car gas tank to the gasoline can and it doesn't work.

The
only reason I can think of is the end of the hose is not in the gasoline
pool in the car's gasoline tank. The plasic hose tends to curl so that
might be the problem. Or there can be some sort of baffle in the tanks to
prevent syphoning. One car is a 98 Cutlass and the other is a 2000

Subaru.

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?

Jim K

I had that exact problem using the same type of pump with my truck and
a gas can. It turned out that because of the curl, the end in the can
had a tendency to curl up and actually end up higher than the end in
the truck tank. Unless the vehicle end of the hose is higher, you will
lose suction and the whole thing quits. As long I watched real close
to make sure nothing was curled up, it worked fine. I ended up using a
wire coat hanger to make a bracket kind of thing to hold the hose ends
straight.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:42:03 -0400, "jay1000"
wrote:

I've got a 2 KW Honda generator. Figured on using gasoline from my two cars
if we ever had to run the generator for a long period of time. So I bought
a hand-pump primed gasoline syphon (hate the taste of gasoline) and tested
it by syphoning from a gas can to the Honda gas tank. Then I tried to
syphon out of the car gas tank to the gasoline can and it doesn't work. The
only reason I can think of is the end of the hose is not in the gasoline
pool in the car's gasoline tank. The plasic hose tends to curl so that
might be the problem. Or there can be some sort of baffle in the tanks to
prevent syphoning. One car is a 98 Cutlass and the other is a 2000 Subaru.

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?

ameijers

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
"jay1000" wrote in message

When I need to drain a fuel tank I usually just attach a hose to the
fuel pressure test port (r12 type fitting)and then bypass the fuel
pump relay to run the fuel pump. Just be carefull to monitor the fuel
and to not let the pump run dry.

That is about what the state cops do here, or used to at least, to help
stranded motorists w/o carrying a dangerous can in the trunk. They would
have a valve gizmo rigged under the hood where they could plug in a 10-foot
hose, and route about half the pumped gas through the hose, and half to keep
their engine idling. (This was in mechanical fuel pump era.) No idea if they
still do that with the modern fuel injection cruisers- probably make the ECU
go into full arrest or something. Doubt they would rig extra wires to run
the tank pump like you described.

aem sends...

gg

did you try spinning the hose as you put it donw into the tank? like you
would a plumbing snake ,I hate going to fill the gas can so when I know it
needs filling I fill up the car on the way home ,this way I know I'm getting
to the gas and the hose I use is only like 1/4" and kind of ridged I have to
twist it in ect. an it takes a little while to get 5gals.but it has always
worked and works with my 2001 tacoma,I seem to have more trouble getting the
hose out of the tank than getting it to syphon.

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Air tank safety: Discharge rate and outlet size adam smith Metalworking 11 January 1st 04 11:01 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM
Rotary tank - how to build? BR Metalworking 15 September 29th 03 06:09 AM