Dave

Default Syphon Gasoline Out of Auto Gas Tank?

"jay1000" wrote in message news:MJjMa.171$1a6.162@lakeread01...

When I need to drain a fuel tank I usually just attach a hose to the
fuel pressure test port (r12 type fitting)and then bypass the fuel
pump relay to run the fuel pump. Just be carefull to monitor the fuel
and to not let the pump run dry.

I've got a 2 KW Honda generator. Figured on using gasoline from my two cars
if we ever had to run the generator for a long period of time. So I bought
a hand-pump primed gasoline syphon (hate the taste of gasoline) and tested
it by syphoning from a gas can to the Honda gas tank. Then I tried to
syphon out of the car gas tank to the gasoline can and it doesn't work. The
only reason I can think of is the end of the hose is not in the gasoline
pool in the car's gasoline tank. The plasic hose tends to curl so that
might be the problem. Or there can be some sort of baffle in the tanks to
prevent syphoning. One car is a 98 Cutlass and the other is a 2000 Subaru.

Any thoughts on "how to syphon gasoline from a car"?