Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Default How to Network a Parallel Port Printer?

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Google for printservers. For example:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Prin...ers/PS101.aspx
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Buy a new one that is already networked! Cheaper and Simpler!!

I am happy with my Canon PIXMA IP4000R.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Don't you have the SMC Barricade router like I do? It should have a LPT
port built in. Might be useful if you can live with a somewhat generic
driver and your printer isn't too exotic.

I'll have to do the same thing for a little HP-5L here because the new
puter don't have no LPT port no more :-(

The big one is a Brother 7820N which dwelleth on a LAN port, Very practical.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:57:20 +0200, "Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Buy a new one that is already networked! Cheaper and Simpler!!

I am happy with my Canon PIXMA IP4000R.

Just ordered an hp LaserJet P2015DN, but I have also an old hp1120C
and a Stika stencil cutter that I'd like to get off of my desk.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

As other have mentioned, what you want is a print server. Here's the list of
what Newegg has, sorted by "best ratings:"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...O rder=RATING .
Ignore the USB-only ones (which these days are more popular than parallel port
versions!), of course, and decide whether you want it to be wireless or not
for the network connectivity.

I've only had a few over time, having instead switched to printers with the
network interface built-in over the past few years. :-) I do know that the
D-Link DP-301P+ and Netgear PS101 are popular models -- they're likely to be
available at, e.g., Best Buy of Fry's. My mother has one of the Buffalo
LPV3-U2 which has worked well for her, but that's a USB-only model.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:57:28 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Don't you have the SMC Barricade router like I do? It should have a LPT
port built in.

Yep. But it's croaking... reboot required more than once per day.

Just ordered a new LinkSys BEFSR81.

Might be useful if you can live with a somewhat generic
driver and your printer isn't too exotic.

I'll have to do the same thing for a little HP-5L here because the new
puter don't have no LPT port no more :-(

The big one is a Brother 7820N which dwelleth on a LAN port, Very practical.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Just ordered an hp LaserJet P2015DN, but I have also an old hp1120C
and a Stika stencil cutter that I'd like to get off of my desk.

If you're looking to replace the 1120C (nice printer, certainly), an OfficeJet
K850DN (D=duplexing, N=networked) is what I have and I've been pretty happy
with it. The only surprise was that it's actually slower than many
letter-sized printers -- I guess there isn't as much competition for speed in
thiese larger-format printers.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Don't you have the SMC Barricade router like I do? It should have a LPT
port built in.

Yep. But it's croaking... reboot required more than once per day.

Maybe reflash the EEPROM in there? Might be worth to download the latest
firmware and give it a shot. I've heard people with older models had
problems requiring frequent rebooting and this fixed it at least for
some of them.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=d...eCod e=EN_USA

Just ordered a new LinkSys BEFSR81.

I had a LinkSys before that. Didn't work well, support could not figure
out why, returned it within the week.

Might be useful if you can live with a somewhat generic
driver and your printer isn't too exotic.

I'll have to do the same thing for a little HP-5L here because the new
puter don't have no LPT port no more :-(

The big one is a Brother 7820N which dwelleth on a LAN port, Very practical.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:16:09 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Just ordered an hp LaserJet P2015DN, but I have also an old hp1120C
and a Stika stencil cutter that I'd like to get off of my desk.

If you're looking to replace the 1120C (nice printer, certainly), an OfficeJet
K850DN (D=duplexing, N=networked) is what I have and I've been pretty happy
with it. The only surprise was that it's actually slower than many
letter-sized printers -- I guess there isn't as much competition for speed in
thiese larger-format printers.

Nice! How well does the duplexing work?

The 1120C is my wife's and has seen HEAVY duty printing Girl Scout
stuff ;-) So it's feed mechanism is wearing out.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

I would use one of your network computers, one that is not used all that
heavily as the print server.

Install the printer normally and then share it with your local network. If
you don't have a working parallel port on the computer, USB to parallel
(bi-directional) converters can be had fairly inexpensively.

All users should be able to use the printer (or not as you set permissions).

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Nice! How well does the duplexing work?

Quite well; I haven't had any problem with it. The only thing to be aware of
is that, since it's an ink jet, after it prints side 1 it just sits there
waiting for the ink to dry before it pulls it back in and prints the second
side. That makes it slower to print, e.g., 10 duplex sheet than to perform
manual duplexing (print all the odd pages, flip the stack over, print all the
even pages), but it's still worth it to me (I guess I'm usually not in that
big of a hurry...).

For 13"x19", I've found that it is sensitive to paper alignment: It is
possible to load the paper crooked enough that it'll just sit there and ram
the paper into the side of the carriage, eventually ripping it. I've learned
to be careful about this (besides loading the paper and straight as possible,
the trick seems to be allowing a little bit of play in the paper guide -- not
having it jammed all the way up right next to the paper's edge) and haven't
torn a sheet in quite some time. It reminds me of the older D-sized HP roll
paper plotters that had the exact same problem -- if you didn't get the paper
very, very close to perfectly square, the paper would slowly drift towards the
edge and eventually rip.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
qrk qrk is offline

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:39:21 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

You can get little print server boxes for $70. DLink, and others,
make them. If your printer is an HP and it can scan, then you need a
HP Jetdirect print server for $300, or whatever they cost these days,
to support the bidirectional communications.

Mark
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Joel Kolstad wrote:

[...]

Ink jet can get rather expensive for high-volume users like Jim's wife.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:01:39 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds familiar. I made an external guide for the straight thru feed
on the 1120C to ensure squareness... particularly an issue with card
stock.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Google "parallel print server" ... quite a selection of products are
available. Even WiFi parallel printer servers.

Regards
Anton Erasmus

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Joerg" wrote in message
t...
Ink jet can get rather expensive for high-volume users like Jim's wife.

Yes, certainly true. The K850 series do use large ink tanks, so at least it's
cheap relative to most other inkjets. (Hence it's cheaper than cheap laser
printers, albeit unlikely to be cheaper than true business-class lasers.)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Sounds familiar. I made an external guide for the straight thru feed
on the 1120C to ensure squareness... particularly an issue with card
stock.

Good to know it's not just my particular printer then! Although too bad that
HP apparently hasn't improved the design much.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

If you've got an old dinosaur PC lying around, you could turn it into a
print server. The last machine I used for that was a P60 with 64MB ram
- it also works as a file server.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

How 'bout getting this plus a USB-LPT adapter:

http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...vers/ubox.html

USB-LPT used to be available at Walmart for under $20 but their web site
seems to be toast right now. Again. No idea if such a combo works but
per the Lantronix ad there is a good chance that it might. Then you
could hang all kinds of other stuff onto this box.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" schreef in
bericht ...
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:57:20 +0200, "Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Buy a new one that is already networked! Cheaper and Simpler!!

I am happy with my Canon PIXMA IP4000R.

Just ordered an hp LaserJet P2015DN, but I have also an old hp1120C
and a Stika stencil cutter that I'd like to get off of my desk.

...Jim Thompson

Well, HP has a nice solution: The HP Jetdirect 170x. They have more, more
expensive solutions as well. My local computer store has much cheaper
parallel printer servers. (About 50 Euro). Personally I fired up an old
WIN98 engine with some adapter cards. It served me well for the printers.
The scanner gave some problems however.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Buy a 50 foot (or whatever it takes, that was the longest one I recall
seeing when I bought a 25 foot one last year to solve a similar problem)
parallel printer cable, unless you have some other reason to want to
network it - but if the logical PC as print server is not also going to
live in the closet, it still might be the cheaper solution.

If that seems like an expensive solution, shop better - some places
charge way too much for cables.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, what server are you using, if any?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, what server are you using, if any?

Everything is plugged into an 8-port router (SMC Barricade) right now.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

My SMC router has a parallel port for a printer to be used as a
network printer.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, what server are you using, if any?

Everything is plugged into an 8-port router (SMC Barricade) right now.

...Jim Thompson

did you look on the back and see if it has a P-port?
mine does.
of course, I only have a 8 port with a WAN port, but I also have a 9
pin serial port for an external dial up modem I was using that before
I got high speed at the house.
Got kind of slow how ever, when the kids wanted to down load MP3's
and all.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"David Brown" wrote in
message ...
Jim Thompson wrote:
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a

network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the

way.

...Jim Thompson

If you've got an old dinosaur PC lying around, you could turn

it into a
print server. The last machine I used for that was a P60 with

64MB ram
- it also works as a file server.

P60 wasn't that also known as the "fire hazard"
that *was* just a joke (although true), sorry could not resist ,
robb

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:19:54 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

My SMC router has a parallel port for a printer to be used as a
network printer.

So does my Barricade, but I want to move some of this pile out of my
office ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Jim
I use a TrendNet 10/100Mbps Parallel Print Server
TE100-P1P hooked up to an HP DJ890C printer and no problems.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/f_printservers.htm

Purchased at SWS Electronics here in Tucson.
Also have a USB to Network server as well.
I had to change the address on both of them to the local networks addressing.
Dave Foreman

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

I have been using print servers for many years now for POS printers.
Seen them come and go. If I can offer one piece of advice, go with
dlink. They have been the most reliable units I have used, and trust
me I have seen many thousands go out the door over theyears.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Ecnerwal wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

Buy a 50 foot (or whatever it takes, that was the longest one I recall
seeing when I bought a 25 foot one last year to solve a similar problem)
parallel printer cable, unless you have some other reason to want to
network it - but if the logical PC as print server is not also going to
live in the closet, it still might be the cheaper solution.

If that seems like an expensive solution, shop better - some places
charge way too much for cables.

I have boxes of parallel printer cables stacked in the storage
building. Let me know if anyone needs any. Standard, and long ones,
free, if you pay shipping.

Also, there are plenty of DB25 and DE9 serial cables in various
lengths. The same deal, you only pay for shipping, if you can use
them. When I get caught up on the 'Computers for Veterans' project, I
am going to thin the cable herd, and sell the scrap copper.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

If your PC's are on a lan and all running windows(linux may support it too)
you can use printer sharing. Printer only needs to be hooked up to one pc
and the rest can print to it. In this case you don't even need to buy
anything.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:24:42 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

of course, I only have a 8 port with a WAN port, but I also have a 9
pin serial port for an external dial up modem I was using that before
I got high speed at the house.
Got kind of slow how ever, when the kids wanted to down load MP3's
and all.

No ****! Smack 'em!

I wish, one of them is big enough to give me a work out! And i'm
no slouch.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 05:12:32 -0700, ChairmanOfTheBored
wrote:

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

I have been using print servers for many years now for POS printers.
Seen them come and go. If I can offer one piece of advice, go with
dlink. They have been the most reliable units I have used, and trust
me I have seen many thousands go out the door over theyears.

Thousands? Want to exaggerate a bit more for us?

Sure schoolboy. I have worked in hardware and software for only a
short time compared to most here, but i still have 20 odd years on
you.

Thousands is a guess, probably even more.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:56:18 -0700, ChairmanOfTheBored
wrote:

wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

...Jim Thompson

I have been using print servers for many years now for POS printers.
Seen them come and go. If I can offer one piece of advice, go with
dlink. They have been the most reliable units I have used, and trust
me I have seen many thousands go out the door over theyears.

Thousands? Want to exaggerate a bit more for us?

Sure schoolboy. I have worked in hardware and software for only a
short time compared to most here, but i still have 20 odd years on
you.

Thousands is a guess, probably even more.

You must be a true utter retard to have "gone though" "thousands of
network print servers".

LEts see, if I have 2000 sites, and 1 print server per site, that
would be 2000 print servers (thousands)? Correct? Now considering I
have more than 2000 thousand sites, and somes sites have more than 1
print server, then I guess its perfectly sane to say that I have gone
through thousands of print servers.

I have been doing it for more than 20 years, idiot.

I am sure you have..

You probably don't even know what a line printer is.

Actaully, one of my customers still uses line printers.

They also still have a drum printer in their museum. Google it, you
will find out what it is.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Default Joel Kolstad: K850dn

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:43:42 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Sounds familiar. I made an external guide for the straight thru feed
on the 1120C to ensure squareness... particularly an issue with card
stock.

Good to know it's not just my particular printer then! Although too bad that
HP apparently hasn't improved the design much.

Nice printer!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Haven't read the "manual" yet, but I take it, for straight through
printing of card stock, you have to snap out the duplex adapter and
snap in the regular feed??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Hi Jim,

It's actually "Joel Koltner" these days -- my wife and I merged our last names
together when we were married a little over a month ago now.

Haven't read the "manual" yet, but I take it, for straight through
printing of card stock, you have to snap out the duplex adapter and
snap in the regular feed??

So they say -- h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/1101941.pdf
has a picture of it being used to feed stock straight-through, although I've
never actually used it for thick stock myself.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:17:10 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

Hi Jim,

It's actually "Joel Koltner" these days -- my wife and I merged our last names
together when we were married a little over a month ago now.

Congratulations! May you have a long and happy life together! My
wife and I are nearing our 48th anniversary, and #8 grandchild is due
momentarily ;-)

Haven't read the "manual" yet, but I take it, for straight through
printing of card stock, you have to snap out the duplex adapter and
snap in the regular feed??

So they say -- h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/1101941.pdf
has a picture of it being used to feed stock straight-through, although I've
never actually used it for thick stock myself.

---Joel

Yep. I looked over "ug.pdf" on the install CD and found it.

...Jim Thompson

parallel port Justice Electronics 5 July 16th 05 10:14 PM
RCA ChipperCheck, and No Parallel Port to hook to? Mike Electronics Repair 0 April 16th 05 05:15 PM
RCA ChipperCheck, and No Parallel Port to hook to? Mike Electronics Repair 2 April 11th 05 11:39 AM
Parallel port electronics Ed Electronics 1 July 21st 04 10:14 PM
FA: PMDX-120 Parallel Port I/O Board, CNC Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 November 2nd 03 05:27 PM