Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default How to Network a Parallel Port Printer?

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:57:28 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I there any simple way to adapt a parallel port printer to a network?

I'd like to move a printer to a closet and get it out of the way.

Don't you have the SMC Barricade router like I do? It should have a LPT
port built in.

Yep. But it's croaking... reboot required more than once per day.

Maybe reflash the EEPROM in there? Might be worth to download the latest
firmware and give it a shot. I've heard people with older models had
problems requiring frequent rebooting and this fixed it at least for
some of them.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=d...eCod e=EN_USA

Just ordered a new LinkSys BEFSR81.

I had a LinkSys before that. Didn't work well, support could not figure
out why, returned it within the week.

Might be useful if you can live with a somewhat generic
driver and your printer isn't too exotic.

I'll have to do the same thing for a little HP-5L here because the new
puter don't have no LPT port no more :-(

The big one is a Brother 7820N which dwelleth on a LAN port, Very practical.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com