Default Perhaps seperate group for INSPIRATION posts.

There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person. The INSPIRATION in the
title certaily makes them easy to read/ignore at the readers choice but
there are still a lot of them.

Of the ones that I have looked at, most are not my cup of tea but I
respect the poster's right to post them as they are certainly on-topic.
I am just wondering if it might not be a good idea to setup a seperate
group/list for these types of posts (Similar to ABPW for pics).

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

Again, not suggesting NOT to post them but perhaps have a central place
to put them as opposed to the larger group.

Fred

I like the way that JOAT does his internet search results - easy to pass by,
but easy to identify the ones that might hold something of interest to me.
And I have even benefited from a few of them in finding something that was
of use to me, or maybe just enjoying a comment that JOAT may have posted
with the link. Since it doesn't cost anything to have them here, and they
are so well labeled, I am certainly in favor of JOAT continuing to post
here, and thank him for doing so.

Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person.

Andy

I vote for JOAT to stick around and keep posting here. I can read or ignore
as I please thanks to the clear subject lines.

Andy
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/andya/

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person. The INSPIRATION in the
title certaily makes them easy to read/ignore at the readers choice but
there are still a lot of them.

Of the ones that I have looked at, most are not my cup of tea but I
respect the poster's right to post them as they are certainly on-topic.
I am just wondering if it might not be a good idea to setup a seperate
group/list for these types of posts (Similar to ABPW for pics).

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

Again, not suggesting NOT to post them but perhaps have a central place
to put them as opposed to the larger group.

Yes, and they're all from the same person, with the same word in the
subject. Simple to configure to ignore in any good newsreader if
that's your preference.

I don't - and perhaps others - don't use a traditional newsreader app
but browse via a web browser (groups.google.com). I have seen posts in
the past where people comment on the volume of messages and bandwidth
concerns so I don't see why this question is so unusual. I am NOT
attacking him or his posts simply asking - what I thought - was a
reasonable question.

So, let me get this straight. You agree that they're on-topic,

Yes

you
point out that they are consistantly marked,

Yes

and you want him to go away with them?

NO!!

Wouldn't it be easier to ignore them, either manually or

programmatically?
It IS fairly easy to ignore them but I was mearly asking if perhaps we
should consider creating a dedicated group/list for them as there are
quite a few of them.

JOAT, if you'd like some webspace to put your links, in addition to
posting them here, I'll get you set up.

And I think the site would get traffic.

Dave Hinz

On 19 Jan 2005 10:32:21 -0800, wrote:
Yes, and they're all from the same person, with the same word in the
subject. Simple to configure to ignore in any good newsreader if
that's your preference.

I don't - and perhaps others - don't use a traditional newsreader app
but browse via a web browser (groups.google.com). I have seen posts in
the past where people comment on the volume of messages and bandwidth
concerns so I don't see why this question is so unusual. I am NOT
attacking him or his posts simply asking - what I thought - was a
reasonable question.

So because of your choice of a limited newsreading tool (in this case,
web-based), you want him to change how he's doing things, for you.

So, let me get this straight. You agree that they're on-topic,

Yes

you
point out that they are consistantly marked,

Yes

and you want him to go away with them?

NO!!

Seems to me that telling him to go to a different group is equivalent
to "go away with them".

Wouldn't it be easier to ignore them, either manually or

programmatically?
It IS fairly easy to ignore them but I was mearly asking if perhaps we
should consider creating a dedicated group/list for them as there are
quite a few of them.

This fits any definition of "go away" that I can think of.

JOAT, if you'd like some webspace to put your links, in addition to
posting them here, I'll get you set up.

And I think the site would get traffic.

Great. And I'm glad he posts them here as well. I'm sorry, but I don't
see how your choice of a ****-poor interface to read Usenet should dictate
that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Andy wrote:
I vote for JOAT to stick around and keep posting here. I can read or ignore
as I please thanks to the clear subject lines.

Yeah... what he said. It's not JOAT's fault you can't run a normal newsreader.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Dave, wow - I apologize that I have very clearly offended you on this
one. However, I think that you are missing my point. I mean NO
ill-will towards him and I am not asking him to change what he does for
me (regardelss of my choice of news interface) but decided to post a
question to the group for consideration. Again, I mearly asked what I
thought was a reasonable question to the broader group. The posts so
far have been overwhelmingly in favor of his continuing to post his
inspiration messages here. Great, the question I asked appears to have
been aswered. As far as my asking HIM to go away - not the case at
all. He posts other things besides the inspiration posts to this group
just like everyone else does.

And to address your point of "...how your choice of a ****-poor
interface to read Usenet should dictate
that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.." - I actually
think another newsgroup for THIS TYPE OF POST (not just posts from this
person) would make the resource more useful to everyone as it would be
more easily searchable etc.

DamnYankee

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person. The INSPIRATION in the
title certaily makes them easy to read/ignore at the readers choice but
there are still a lot of them.

Of the ones that I have looked at, most are not my cup of tea but I
respect the poster's right to post them as they are certainly on-topic.
I am just wondering if it might not be a good idea to setup a seperate
group/list for these types of posts (Similar to ABPW for pics).

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

Again, not suggesting NOT to post them but perhaps have a central place
to put them as opposed to the larger group.

I don't think we need another group for this type of post. They are as "on
topic" as you can get to a woodworking newsgroup so why not keep them here.
I don't see bandwidth as an issue because all you're getting in the subject
line. Very little traffic there.

What JOAT could do to reduce the number of posts would be to do an
'Inspiration' post and list all the stuff he finds in that one post. But,
I'm not his momma so I can't tell him what to do. Just a thought. :-)

Bryan

B a r r y

Fred wrote:
Since it doesn't cost anything to have them here, and they
are so well labeled, I am certainly in favor of JOAT continuing to post
here, and thank him for doing so.

Ditto.

Thanks, JOAT

Barry

Dave Hinz

On 19 Jan 2005 10:52:51 -0800, wrote:
Dave, wow - I apologize that I have very clearly offended you on this
one.

I'm not _offended_, I'm boggled that someone would impose the results
of their own poor choice of tools on a group of people.

However, I think that you are missing my point. I mean NO
ill-will towards him and I am not asking him to change what he does for
me (regardelss of my choice of news interface) but decided to post a
question to the group for consideration.

But the thing you're proposing _is_ that he change what he's doing,
and to not post them to the group.

Again, I mearly asked what I
thought was a reasonable question to the broader group. The posts so
far have been overwhelmingly in favor of his continuing to post his
inspiration messages here. Great, the question I asked appears to have
been aswered. As far as my asking HIM to go away - not the case at
all. He posts other things besides the inspiration posts to this group
just like everyone else does.

So you just want him to go away with the INSPIRATION posts. Got it.

And to address your point of "...how your choice of a ****-poor
interface to read Usenet should dictate
that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.." - I actually
think another newsgroup for THIS TYPE OF POST (not just posts from this
person) would make the resource more useful to everyone as it would be
more easily searchable etc.

You can't google for the word INSPIRATION in rec.woodworking at
groups.google.com? (hint: yes, you can. Trivially so. Just as it's
trivial to ignore messages with that in the subject with any decent
newsreader.)

alexy

"Fred" wrote:

I like the way that JOAT does his internet search results - easy to pass by,
but easy to identify the ones that might hold something of interest to me.
And I have even benefited from a few of them in finding something that was
of use to me, or maybe just enjoying a comment that JOAT may have posted
with the link. Since it doesn't cost anything to have them here, and they
are so well labeled, I am certainly in favor of JOAT continuing to post
here, and thank him for doing so.

Hear! Hear! JOAT is as thoughtful as possible in using subject headers
that allow the reader to decide whether to read. While the nature of
the posts is a distinct subset (rec.woodworking.plans?) the volume is
small enough to easily stay in the larger, on-topic group, and is too
small, IMHO, to warrant a group of its own.

Leon

Don't be so hard on Larryfox Dave. I doubt he is out to get your job.

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave, wow - I apologize that I have very clearly offended you on this
one.

Dave tends to like to be the one that makes these type suggestions and you
apparently beat him to it.

Dave, at this point I think we are arguing semantics instead of
substance. Might I suggest that we either aggree to disagree or take
the discussion private (email in header is real). I would welcome the
opportunity to continue if you like.

I DO know how to use Google, I DO know that there are newsreaders out
there that filter, I DO NOT want the inspiration posts to go away
entirely I was just inquiring about moving/grouping them is all.

not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)

Upscale

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I'm not going to suggest that Joat move his posts because I like reading
them. Along the same lines however, it would be nice if there was a central
location that one could go to and view them. (Aside from going to google and
implementing a specific search parameter)

BobS

Not to worry - you just had a run in with someone who has to have a comment
on just about every post made here. And you caught him on a good day.....;-)

wrote in message
ups.com...
not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)

Lucky me! :-)

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)

Well Dave is our local self appointed net nanny. I have been here for 4 or
5 years and when he came on board a few months ago he was suggesting how I
should post. I still post as I wish.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person.

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

I'm glad you brought it up. We've been looking to make a couple of changes
here and have a moderator for the group. We need a volunteer for the spot.
Are you interested? If so, just mention it and we will vote you in. Most
of us agree on having a moderator, but we're just not sure how to go about
it.

I hope you can and will help us.

Thanks,
Ed

patrick conroy

wrote in message
ups.com...

not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)

There are pile's o plenty in this group.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Fred" wrote:

I like the way that JOAT does his internet search results - easy to pass by,
but easy to identify the ones that might hold something of interest to me.
And I have even benefited from a few of them in finding something that was
of use to me, or maybe just enjoying a comment that JOAT may have posted
with the link. Since it doesn't cost anything to have them here, and they
are so well labeled, I am certainly in favor of JOAT continuing to post
here, and thank him for doing so.

Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person.

*waving*

"FRED!!"

"Over here! I can see your house from here!"

0¿0

Rob
Sarnia, ON

PS. I know a shortcut to a Lee Valley store. 55mins, tops.
Dave Balderstone

In article t, Dave
Jackson wrote:

I kinda like the idea of a separate area for plans.

alt.woodworking.plans already exists. Seems like nobody much is using
it, though.

Have fun!

djb

Deck disasater - how to repair concrete posts? Andy Woodworking 10 June 15th 04 12:01 PM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
An open request to all group members (In advance, we admit that this post could be considered commercial in nature) Chris Sypolt Metalworking 1 August 30th 03 02:12 PM