Upscale

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

alt.woodworking.plans already exists. Seems like nobody much is using

It's not a binary newsgroup so I have to ask, would it be appropriate for
the posting of binaries? Usenet etiquette would say no, but that doesn't
deter everybody these days.

mac davis

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:59:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and
most seem to be posted by the same person.

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

I'm glad you brought it up. We've been looking to make a couple of changes
here and have a moderator for the group. We need a volunteer for the spot.
Are you interested? If so, just mention it and we will vote you in. Most
of us agree on having a moderator, but we're just not sure how to go about
it.

or whether or not anyone will pay attention to one.. *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Dave Balderstone

In article , Upscale
wrote:

It's not a binary newsgroup so I have to ask, would it be appropriate for
the posting of binaries? Usenet etiquette would say no, but that doesn't
deter everybody these days.

Usually it's your news provider/ISP who determines whether or not you
can post a binary to a non-binary group. Any responsible one won't
allow it.

djb

To all the comments "get a normal newsreader", you live in a
cloistered, home based world. I travel every week and I'm on hotel and
client networks throughout the week. There is NO way to use an offline
newsreader in these firewalled, restricted environments. You have to
use a web based approach to reading. So what's the big deal?

Well, on days like Monday, when there were 35 (yes 35!) inspiration
posts, I had to wade through nine screenfuls of the stuff to find other
messages buried in there. Selfish? You bet. I'm not alone. There are
thousands of people like me who travel and have limited tools on the
road to enjoy the news groups. Its about balance. 35 a day is out of
balance.

Bob

Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

There are
thousands of people like me who travel and have limited tools on the
road to enjoy the news groups. Its about balance.

Usenet is not the web. The fact that there are web interfaces to access
Usenet is irrelevant to Usenet, IMO.

The problem you have is that you are using the wrong interface to
access news groups, plain and simple. The reasons *why* you are using
that interface is also irrelevant to Usenet, IMO.

You can ride a moped on the freeway, but don't expect other drivers to
slow down to 25 mph so you can read their licence plates.

Usenet is not the web? Nobody said it was.

Tom,

What source of newsgroups do you subscribe to? Can you get ABPW on the
road? I'll look into agent. Many of the networks I am on block the
ports used by newsreaders - especially client networks.

Wrong interface? When did software become a moral issue?

Wrong interface? When did software become a moral issue?

Thousands in rec.woodworking? Who said that? I didn't. I said
thousands who enjoy newgroup(s).

Oh, one more thing - I assumed you were using broadband at the hotels.
You weren't using dial up by any chance were you? I've never had a
problem with dialup to my ISP from anywhere - I just can't stand to use
it, especially when some of the hotels charge $1.00 for each phone
call. More and more of the hotels are going all wireless. I use
earthlink at home and they simply will not allow you to access
newsgroups in any manner unless you are on their network - impossible
on the road unless you dialup. Ptooey!

Bob

Charlie Self

bluemax1811 asks:

Wrong interface? When did software become a moral issue?

Long time ago. Check the names people call Microsoft and AOL for examples.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Morris Dovey

Wrong interface? When did software become a moral issue?

Almost instantly. Need convincing? Visit
http://www.stallman.org
and ask the self-styled "Guardian of Software Morality" himself
(requires a strong stomach.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:43:08 -0600, Dave Balderstone

language is a virus
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:43:08 -0600, Dave Balderstone

language is a virus

Burma!

Deck disasater - how to repair concrete posts? Andy Woodworking 10 June 15th 04 12:01 PM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
An open request to all group members (In advance, we admit that this post could be considered commercial in nature) Chris Sypolt Metalworking 1 August 30th 03 02:12 PM