Posted to rec.woodworking

Default interesting 3d cad program

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it
programatically

so far just playing with it to understand how it works

not sure how to generate dimension text

the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design
in 3d

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:55:48 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

What's wrong with Sketchup?

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it
programatically

You can do that in Sketchup, too.

so far just playing with it to understand how it works

not sure how to generate dimension text

the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design
in 3d

Doesn't sound very useful to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 00:14:00 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article qcvr5c9g5rgeh99cennk4bu8sld2m2a5ok@
4ax.com, says...

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 23:09:06 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 2isr5chr1ouvp3bfemuebt1140uovrhuk1@
4ax.com,
says...

wrote:

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

What's wrong with Sketchup?

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it
programatically

You can do that in Sketchup, too.

so far just playing with it to understand how it works

not sure how to generate dimension text

the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design
in 3d

Doesn't sound very useful to me.

If the "new thing" about it is "defining
programmatically", there's nothing new about
that. That's how Autocad has _always_ worked.

Autocad has not always been a "parametric cad" I believe it has only
been a fully parametric cad since Acad 2010 while design View, for
instance, has been a parametric cad since at least 1992 in 2D

Whatever "parametric cad" is, there was a time
when point and click was a new innovation that
was added to Autocad. You have always run it by
typing commands and after a while a programming
language was added.

That's "defining programmatically" in my book.
If he meant something else he should have said
it.

Parametric cad uses a database of dimensions and by redefining either
a linear measurement or an angle, the entire diagram is redrawn. You
can lengthen a part by 50 thou, or by 2 inches, or by 2 feet by simply
redefining a line segment. If a hole is defined as being centered to
that line segment, it is properly relocated. Just a few really basic
examples of a VERY powerful design tool..
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it
programatically

so far just playing with it to understand how it works

not sure how to generate dimension text

the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design
in 3d

.

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much
'it' for woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-24, Leon wrote:

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much
'it' for woodworking.

Too bad Gobble never made it fer Linux. I've never quite understood
Gobble's reluctance. C'mon, their entire server system is Linux.

Anywho, I gave my ex lead designer an old precursor to Sketchup, to
try. It was like E (an old early modeling SGI program), but he didn't
like it --over AutoCad-- cuz it did not have a "stretch" function.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-24, Leon wrote:

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much
'it' for woodworking.

Too bad Gobble never made it fer Linux. I've never quite understood
Gobble's reluctance. C'mon, their entire server system is Linux.

Anywho, I gave my ex lead designer an old precursor to Sketchup, to
try. It was like E (an old early modeling SGI program), but he didn't
like it --over AutoCad-- cuz it did not have a "stretch" function.

nb

Google was just an interim owner of Sketchup. Sketchup was originally
developed by another company that charged for the product. Some years
later Google bought Sketchup and offered it as a free tool.

About 3 years ago Google sold Sketchup to Trimble, a software company.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC AutoCAD LT was developed and used a Windows environment, clickable
icons and DDE, before AutoCAD.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

lots of models on thigiverse

also notice that 3d printers like this software much better than some
of the commercial software

so it talks correctly to cnc whereas other popular ones do not

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-24, Leon wrote:

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much
'it' for woodworking.

Too bad Gobble never made it fer Linux. I've never quite understood
Gobble's reluctance. C'mon, their entire server system is Linux.

Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there
will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another
company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

Anywho, I gave my ex lead designer an old precursor to Sketchup, to
try. It was like E (an old early modeling SGI program), but he didn't
like it --over AutoCad-- cuz it did not have a "stretch" function.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
news

Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there
will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another
company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're
tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems
were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*.
Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something
changes.

Hey, I just saw Raspberry Pi's desktop was ported to run on X86. I've
used it on the Pi, it's nice.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Bill wrote in
news

Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there
will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another
company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're
tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems
were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*.
Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something
changes.

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

Hey, I just saw Raspberry Pi's desktop was ported to run on X86. I've
used it on the Pi, it's nice.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there
will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another
company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're
tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems
were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*.
Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something
changes.

I have Linux installed as a dual boot. Mostly, I like Linux for running
some freeware Java programs of foreign origin, in which I then don't
have to instill "my full faith and trust".

Hey, I just saw Raspberry Pi's desktop was ported to run on X86. I've
used it on the Pi, it's nice.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 18:38:31 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there
will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another
company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're
tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems
were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*.
Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something
changes.

I have Linux installed as a dual boot. Mostly, I like Linux for running
some freeware Java programs of foreign origin, in which I then don't
have to instill "my full faith and trust".

I intend to run Linux as a guest under Windows (just bought a new
laptop that is big enough to do it without choking). I tried Linux a
decade ago but had no interest in spending all my time being a system
programmer. If it doesn't just work, I don't want it. We'll see if
Linux has grown up any.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 18:38:31 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
[...]

I'm using the "Mint" version. To make Java run in the full screen I had
to download support directly from Oracle. I keep detailed notes (for
when I have to do it again). Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in news:460u5c5cv0eg5vj9ra5oug6tp6mmhso1ru@
4ax.com:

On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big

way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates,

they're
tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems
were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*.
Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something
changes.

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

So have I. I'll probably wind up dual booting, as there's just some
programs out there that can't see past Windows. I wonder if there's a
decent virtual PC type program out there for Linux that will let me run
Windows on Linux.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Well, Oracle's "Virtual Box" will let you run Linux on Windows. Free,
works good.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2016 1:27 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

There are two constants in the computer world. One Unix and/or its
derivatives are the OS of the future and the other is Windows is dead.
It has been this way since I seriously got into computers in the 1980's,
and it is still the same way.

This is on the same category as Donald Trump will be defeated by Hilary,
and if elected will not be a good president.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 585f66d6$0$53472$c3e8da3$b1356c67
@news.astraweb.com, Puckdropper says...

[...]

Virtual Box is free and works.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

VMWare Workstation Player used to be free but
now it's 150 bucks--also works well.

In either case check the compability list and
make sure your hardware supports it. And get
lots and lots of RAM.

Merry Christmas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-25, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

krw wrote in news:460u5c5cv0eg5vj9ra5oug6tp6mmhso1ru@

On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a
big way.

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

So have I.

A good trick, as Linux has only been around fer 25 yrs.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-25, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

krw wrote in news:460u5c5cv0eg5vj9ra5oug6tp6mmhso1ru@

On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a
big way.

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

So have I.

A good trick, as Linux has only been around fer 25 yrs.

I guess you're not old enough to have heard of OS/2.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

On 25 Dec 2016 16:45:48 GMT, notbob wrote:

A good trick, as Linux has only been around fer 25 yrs.

I guess you're not old enough to have heard of OS/2.

What's OS/2 got to do with Linux? I've played with OS/2 2.1, and Warp 3,
and it feels nothing like Linux. (Never did get Warp 4. I'd like to have a
copy to play with if anyone happens to still have one.)

It had its problems, but they did put together a pretty decent UI.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
news
There are two constants in the computer world. One Unix and/or its
derivatives are the OS of the future and the other is Windows is dead.
It has been this way since I seriously got into computers in the
1980's, and it is still the same way.

This is on the same category as Donald Trump will be defeated by
Hilary, and if elected will not be a good president.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Yep, I know. But, at a young age I came to realize Windows is actually
really really good. Linux desktop of that era was really really bad, I
remember waiting for XWindows to start, going to a church dinner and
finding the computer was still working on starting it... on a 486. I've
got some experience with Debian, MintPPC, and Raspberry Pi's UIs and
they're quite usable. (MintPPC is in major need of an update.)
Raspbian's UI is quite good, with a few problems. (How hard is it to add
an icon to the desktop? What's wrong with the good ol' right click, "Add
Shortcut...")

We're seeing a shift, more people than ever are talking about Linux. I
won't say "2017 will be the year of Linux on the desktop" because it
won't. Linux will take over like Firefox... Slowly. All of a sudden you
realize Firefox has to be taken seriously. (That's a whole 'nother can
of worms... because now you realize Firefox *can't* be taken seriously
anymore. The fork Pale Moon is really good.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Dec 2016 18:17:24 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

On 25 Dec 2016 16:45:48 GMT, notbob wrote:

A good trick, as Linux has only been around fer 25 yrs.

I guess you're not old enough to have heard of OS/2.

What's OS/2 got to do with Linux?

Before Windows was "losing market share and being buried by Linux", it
was "losing market share and being buried by OS/2". Same absurd
proposition. Linux is for nerds and people who get a thrill from
being their own system programmer. It always will be.

I've played with OS/2 2.1, and Warp 3,
and it feels nothing like Linux. (Never did get Warp 4. I'd like to have a
copy to play with if anyone happens to still have one.)

Threw mine out years ago, when I finally went to the dark side
(Win2K).

It had its problems, but they did put together a pretty decent UI.

It's problems were in Redmond.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-25, J. Clarke wrote:

Linux, to anyone who is not a Sheldon Cooper
clone, is just another flavor of Unix.

.....which has been around fer 43 yrs.

I certainly hope yer WW measurements are more accurate.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
Before Windows was "losing market share and being buried by Linux", it
was "losing market share and being buried by OS/2". Same absurd
proposition. Linux is for nerds and people who get a thrill from being
their own system programmer. It always will be.

Someone recently gave me an older Apple Ipad (I'm on day 2). It
appears to show little respect for my privacy...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-25, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

krw wrote in news:460u5c5cv0eg5vj9ra5oug6tp6mmhso1ru@

On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a
big way.

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

So have I.

A good trick, as Linux has only been around fer 25 yrs.

I guess you're not old enough to have heard of OS/2.

When I got my first computer the first thing I did was install OS/2. I
ran several computers on OS/2 including a LAN server until the 1990. and
when the company I worked for was purchased by a company who ran the
Windows server.

When I purchased a new personal computer and was forced into the of
world Windows 98, it was like going back into the dark ages.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-26, J. Clarke wrote:

Do you have ADHD?

No. Do you?

The reason I ask is that there's a behavior characteristic of
ADHDers which we call "Ready, Fire, Aim".

You seem to know waaaay more about it than I do. so I'll defer to yer
opinion.

Perhaps your comment should have been aimed at someone who actually
reported some manner of measurement.

Perhaps. You have any suggestions?

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2016 1:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yep, I know. But, at a young age I came to realize Windows is actually
really really good.

Windows was never really good, let alone really, really good. Well,
there was one version of windows that was really good, and that was
OS/2. The only version of Win that actually worked.

We're seeing a shift, more people than ever are talking about Linux. I
won't say "2017 will be the year of Linux on the desktop" because it
won't. Linux will take over like Firefox... Slowly. All of a sudden you
realize Firefox has to be taken seriously. (That's a whole 'nother can
of worms... because now you realize Firefox *can't* be taken seriously
anymore. The fork Pale Moon is really good.)

The desk top is dying a fast death. Kids (under 40) today don't use
them, they use their cell phones. Actually they use todays Portable
Computer (PC), which is incorrectly called a cell phone. Almost no one
uses the cell phone part of their PC much, they use text for that.
Otherwise it's social media.

As for Linux, (which of course is really just a hacked copy of Unix)
that has already killed Windows dead as hell. 99% of PC's (aka cell
phones) are powered by UNIX based OS's. Android and Mac OS are based on
UNIX, not windows. The Desktop is dead, killed by so called cell phones.
The entire internet runs on Unix, almost all cell phones (PC's) run on
Unix based OS's.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2016 10:22 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

When I got my first computer the first thing I did was install OS/2.

My first computer ran DOS 2.1, because 2.0 never worked.

I ran several computers on OS/2 including a LAN server until the

1990. and
when the company I worked for was purchased by a company who ran the
Windows server.

When I purchased a new personal computer and was forced into the of
world Windows 98, it was like going back into the dark ages.

I ran OS/2 at home for many years, until IBM saw it was about to kill
windows, then they, (and I begrudgingly) let it go. My brother still
runs it. There is a company somewhere that keeps it going. OS/2 WARP
not only made WIN 95 and Win 98 look like they were from the dark ages,
it would make WIN 10 look like it is from the dark ages.

You could run DOS, WIN95 and OS/2 apps all at the same time, seamlessly.
When WIN would crash, like it has always done since it's first
version, everything else kept running, and all you need to do was close
the WIN session and open another.

Windows (Microsoft) is the scourge of computing. It is a perfect
example of why the government invented anti-trust laws, and
unfortunately, what can happen if they are ignored/bought off. Another
feather in the Clinton reign of corruption.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 12/25/2016 10:22 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

When I got my first computer the first thing I did was install OS/2.

My first computer ran DOS 2.1, because 2.0 never worked.

I ran several computers on OS/2 including a LAN server until the

1990. and
when the company I worked for was purchased by a company who ran the
Windows server.

When I purchased a new personal computer and was forced into the of
world Windows 98, it was like going back into the dark ages.

I ran OS/2 at home for many years, until IBM saw it was about to kill
windows, then they, (and I begrudgingly) let it go.

It was never "about to kill Windows". If it was
achieving any significant market penetration IBM
would have kept producing it. Why would IBM have
any qualms about killing Windows?

My brother still
runs it. There is a company somewhere that keeps it going.

The product is called "ecomstation". I ran OS/2
for a long time but eventually the difficulty of
obtaining applications rendered it of no real
utility.

OS/2 WARP
not only made WIN 95 and Win 98 look like they were from the dark ages,
it would make WIN 10 look like it is from the dark ages.

That's a matter of opinion. Yours is much in
the minority.

You could run DOS, WIN95 and OS/2 apps all at the same time, seamlessly.

No, you could not. The built in support for
Windows ended at Windows 3.1. There was no
support at all for native Windows 95
applications, EVER.

When WIN would crash, like it has always done since it's first
version, everything else kept running, and all you need to do was close
the WIN session and open another.

If Windows 10 is crashing on you you need to
repair your computer. The ones that I've seen
that do that either are on broken hardware or
were upgraded from an older version--the upgrade
doesn't clean house thoroughly enough
apparently.

Windows (Microsoft) is the scourge of computing. It is a perfect
example of why the government invented anti-trust laws, and
unfortunately, what can happen if they are ignored/bought off. Another
feather in the Clinton reign of corruption.

sound of world's tiniest violin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in news
On 12/25/2016 1:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yep, I know. But, at a young age I came to realize Windows is
actually really really good.

Windows was never really good, let alone really, really good. Well,
there was one version of windows that was really good, and that was
OS/2. The only version of Win that actually worked.

Well, we'll disagree there. Windows 9x had a good UI, but did lack in
stability and security wasn't a big concern until Windows XP SP2. NT 4.0
had the stability (mostly) and UI of Windows 98, which is what I was
running for quite some time.

I had a Mac running OS 8 at the same time (I couldn't be bothered to
spend the cash for OS X, which Btw is a GUI on top of Unix), and Windows
NT was much better. Maybe it was what I was used to, maybe it was that I
treated the Mac as a toy and didn't do any real work... Or maybe Windows
NT was much better.

[...]

The desktop is not dying, but it is severly shrinking. When you need to
sit down and get some work done, there's little better interface out
there than the ultra-precise mouse and confident keyboard.

What will happen is every family will have a computer for typing reports
and the like, but will also have multiple portable devices OR perhaps the
portable device with multiple interfaces will finally catch on. When you
need to type and mouse, your portable device can be plugged in to another
device that provides that hardware and maybe a bigger screen and your
phone can become your computer. This isn't a new idea, I've got a
LapDock for my Pi. (It might have caught on if the LapDock didn't have
to cost so much.)

There's more servers running Windows Server and IIS than you'd think. I
wouldn't say the entire Internet runs on Unix, but a significant portion
does.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/2016 9:52 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Not all under 40.
My son is 24 and is a linux guru. He uses a laptop, as well as his
phone, also uses windows for work. So he's multi lingual. He's C++ , C
, java, and other language capable.

I find the cell phone less capable than a laptop. I have not been
impressed with the cell phone. Actually disappointed. I get frustrated
by sites that won't let me view w/o an add blocker. Then they jump
aroud like crazy while constantly re-displaying different size ads. that
cause me to lose my place. I find the interface clunky and not as
smooth as I would hope it would be. So my thumb goes down on the
android interface.

--
Jeff