Posted to rec.woodworking

Default interesting 3d cad program

Jack wrote in news
On 12/25/2016 1:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yep, I know. But, at a young age I came to realize Windows is
actually really really good.

Windows was never really good, let alone really, really good. Well,
there was one version of windows that was really good, and that was
OS/2. The only version of Win that actually worked.

Well, we'll disagree there. Windows 9x had a good UI, but did lack in
stability and security wasn't a big concern until Windows XP SP2. NT 4.0
had the stability (mostly) and UI of Windows 98, which is what I was
running for quite some time.

I had a Mac running OS 8 at the same time (I couldn't be bothered to
spend the cash for OS X, which Btw is a GUI on top of Unix), and Windows
NT was much better. Maybe it was what I was used to, maybe it was that I
treated the Mac as a toy and didn't do any real work... Or maybe Windows
NT was much better.

We're seeing a shift, more people than ever are talking about Linux.
I won't say "2017 will be the year of Linux on the desktop" because
it won't. Linux will take over like Firefox... Slowly. All of a
sudden you realize Firefox has to be taken seriously. (That's a
whole 'nother can of worms... because now you realize Firefox *can't*
be taken seriously anymore. The fork Pale Moon is really good.)

The desk top is dying a fast death. Kids (under 40) today don't use
them, they use their cell phones. Actually they use todays Portable
Computer (PC), which is incorrectly called a cell phone. Almost no
one uses the cell phone part of their PC much, they use text for that.
Otherwise it's social media.

As for Linux, (which of course is really just a hacked copy of Unix)
that has already killed Windows dead as hell. 99% of PC's (aka cell
phones) are powered by UNIX based OS's. Android and Mac OS are based
on UNIX, not windows. The Desktop is dead, killed by so called cell
phones. The entire internet runs on Unix, almost all cell phones
(PC's) run on Unix based OS's.

The desktop is not dying, but it is severly shrinking. When you need to
sit down and get some work done, there's little better interface out
there than the ultra-precise mouse and confident keyboard.

What will happen is every family will have a computer for typing reports
and the like, but will also have multiple portable devices OR perhaps the
portable device with multiple interfaces will finally catch on. When you
need to type and mouse, your portable device can be plugged in to another
device that provides that hardware and maybe a bigger screen and your
phone can become your computer. This isn't a new idea, I've got a
LapDock for my Pi. (It might have caught on if the LapDock didn't have
to cost so much.)

There's more servers running Windows Server and IIS than you'd think. I
wouldn't say the entire Internet runs on Unix, but a significant portion
does.

Puckdropper