Posted to rec.woodworking

Default interesting 3d cad program

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:18:44 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/30/2016 8:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 11:48:50 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/28/2016 9:49 PM,
wrote:
On 29 Dec 2016 02:28:40 GMT, Puckdropper

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the
experience is usually much better.

I disagree with that completely. I can't imagine Sketchup on a phone.
Phones are great as always-with-me devices but they don't in any way
replace a decent display, keyboard, lots of memory, and processing
power.

My wife's nextbook or whatever it's called looks exactly like a computer
with a fair sized screen, detachable keyboard so it can be used like an
Ipad or a PC. It runs on Android and far as I know, so can Sketchup. I
wouldn't have a problem running sketchup on it, but the wife, and my
kids, or about anyone I know cares, or even know what sketchup is.

Sketchup on Android? That's news (though not at all interesting
either way). I have a Windows tablet that's next to useless for
Sketchup. It's really why I bought the new computer (with a 14" 2K
internal display and external 27" 4K display).

Last Christmas I bought my wife an $800 Toshiba laptop that ran win10.
She hated it, gave her so much trouble she returned it.
She bought the Nextbook on her own, set it up herself, and loves it. It
was around $100 I believe.

I'd like to see that. I just bought a 7" tablet for $100, and it was
subsidized as an e-reader. It must have a really crappy display.

Win is essentially as dead as UNIX in the home market. Some will always
use it, my brother still uses OS/2, means nothing though. Unix still
runs the internet, likely always will, and cell phones, Ipads, Nextbooks
took over the desktop market.

You keep saying that but have provided no evidence of your absurd
claim.

315 million people in the US, 327 million cell phones, almost all are
running on andriod (unix) or Apple (Unix). Windows has a totally
insignificant chunk of the market.

More than that use light bulbs, so I guess Android is obsolete, too.

So, basically, Unix rules, win is the walking dead...

Utter nonsense.

Your assertions have no value, a complete waste of words. At least your
empty statements are brief, just not brief enough.

No, you're making the absurd assertion. The proof is up to you.

So far (a week), I've found Win10 to be acceptable (too early to tell
more). It seems to have taken the best (very little) of Win8 and
grafted it onto Win7. It's much smoother with a touchscreen than Win7
but functions in a similar manner.

The touchscreen on the laptop the wife returned sucked, that's why she
returned it. I've been running WIN10 since it came out. It was OK and
had a great install as far as (almost) everything working after the
install (a major surprise, knowing MS lameness) but, after buying a new
PC which came with win10, I've been having some problems, apparently
after some automatic updates, things can go off track (totally expected
knowing MS lameness). For about a month or two, my mouse would go
haywire. That seems to have magically fixed itself.

She shouldn't have bought junk.

I did state her computer was running junk, win10. She could have bought
one running OS/2 WARP or linux, but damn, nowhere to be found where she
shops.

Also, my modem occasionally gets lost, and requires a re-boot to begin
working again. Not sure what is causing it, I periodically try to
figure it out, but generally just reboot. Rebooting takes about as long
as it did on my 8088 PCXT took in 1982. It's like putting a 10,000
horsepower jet engine on your go-cart and going the exact same speed...
real progress there Gates!

Modem? What century are you living in? This laptop boots Win10 in
about ten seconds. It's almost not worth putting it to sleep.

You are an idiot. You never heard of a cable modem? It's how all
comcast customers are hooked up to the internet.

You can't find your cable modem and *I'm* the idiot. Seems you don't
know much about computers (or, it seems, anything else).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-31, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very thoughtful of you. Anyone living in snow country over (or near)
the ago of 60 should invest in one.

And here I though NOT buying one would force one to expend enough
energy to stay fit. No wonder this forced air heating is killing me!

nb

If you want stay fit while using a snowblower...

Buy one without all the fancy steering features so that you have to muscle it
around a bit. Don't use reverse, pull it backwards.

In addition, do the driveways of 2 or 3 neighbors every time you do yours.

If you really want a workout, drop the air pressure in the tires by 8-10 pounds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:37:43 -0700, Brewster wrote:

On 12/30/16 3:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/30/2016 3:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:ZM2dndIOKfFqEPvFnZ2dnUU7-
:

*snip*

OH and keep HP and Norton products off of your computer.

I regret my recent purchase of a HP printer. My old HP PSC1210a (does
anyone have one laying around? I miss that printer!) was fantastic
but the
new one insists on cutting off the page numbers because it can't print on
the bottom 1/2" of the page. Apparently it's a driver problem, but
everything I tried doesn't work. Oh, and I've got 27 documents "in
queue"
that have been printed since the last time I started Windows. They just
don't go away.

No more HP!!!

Puckdropper

Since the 90's my HP printers have always had a feed problem, the paper
loaded at an angle and the print was not parallel to the top and bottom.

About 8 years ago we bought an expensive HP, about $500, thinking it
would be our last. Ha Ha It broke just out of warranty and HP
suggested buying a new one with no repair solution. I vowed, that was
my last HP printer.

Also when we bought that last HP and installed the software it increased
my boot time to just over 7 minutes, more than double the normal boot
time. Tech service advised to uninstall and not install certain
features. Great!

HP was the king of test equipment. I'll never understand why they pipmed
out the HP name for cheap consumer electronics. Now when I hear "HP" I
think of plastic, Agilent? who's that?

You mean "Keysight"?

They pimped the name because they could. They knew their test
equipment buyers were smart enough to remember their new name (twice
over).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:29:39 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/31/2016 9:37 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 12/30/16 3:21 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

-BR

I replaced it with a Lexmark and it worked pretty good until it broke,
physically, and was replaced 3 times under their 5 year warranty.

I bought a brand that I thought I would never buy, Epson. It is about 3
years old and has not given me any problem. It was cheap and
replacement ink cartridges are as expensive as the printer but you go
with what works. :~)

I just replaced the HP laser with a cheap ($69) Canon inkjet. I found
aftermarket ink (pretty highly rated) cheap. The printer is cheap
enough that if it doesn't work well, I'll just buy another. My only
worry is that we don't print enough to keep the inkjet in good woring
order but SWMBO wanted a printer to print pictures of the
granddaughter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 16:28:22 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/31/2016 3:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I replaced it with a Lexmark and it worked pretty good until it broke,
physically, and was replaced 3 times under their 5 year warranty.

I bought a brand that I thought I would never buy, Epson. It is about
3 years old and has not given me any problem. It was cheap and
replacement ink cartridges are as expensive as the printer but you go
with what works. :~)

I've been kinda eyeing their new Eco-tank system. I really don't *need*
another printer *yet*, having the page number cut off isn't that big of
faux paux in my business, but there may come a time...

Yeah me too, the eco-tank printers look a lot like the models with out
the big reservoirs. From what I can tell the refill ink would cost
about $12 per color/bottle and last 5 times longer.

A full set of six (I think) replacement cartridges was less than $20.
I decided that the tank models cost too much out of the gate to make
it worthwhile. I may be wrong but my risk is miniscule.

Anyway, I wanted to ask about the drivers. Did they install a huge
amount of bloatware or was it pretty much the driver and let you manage
things? I hate ink monitors, they work by guessing rather than actual
measurement (kinda like shoe sizes.)

Puckdropper

Relatively light weight on install, not intrusive at all. IIRC you can
opt for letting the software look for updates behind the scenes and then
pick and choose which to update.
Nothing fancy at all, no software or trial stuff For dealing with
pictures. Mostly just the minimal to make the printer/scanner work. It
does monitor the ink but I prefer to see something rather than let the
print head go dry and cause print problems.

FWIW I am using a WF3640. Swingman is using the same printer IIRC and I
believe he has had good results too.

It is directly hooked up to my computer via USB but works with my wife's
computer via WiFi along with our iPad and iPhones. And getting that to
all work the first time was a snap.

The only feature that I wish it had is an auto on when you send a print
command. You still have to manually turn it on but it will go into
stand by and eventually shut down by itself.

I will also add that most everything is intuitive so features you do not
use often are easy to remember. It does have a color touch screen
display that walks you all the way through any procedure. I understand
the non screen versions are a bit more difficult to operate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 18:48:40 -0500, Bill

On 2016-12-31, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very thoughtful of you. Anyone living in snow country over (or near)
the ago of 60 should invest in one.

And here I though NOT buying one would force one to expend enough
energy to stay fit.

Out of all the activities one can do to stay fit, shoveling snow has to
be at the bottom of the list!

Agreed. It's way too strenuous and intermittent to be healthy,
particularly for gray-beards. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-31, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very thoughtful of you. Anyone living in snow country over (or near)
the ago of 60 should invest in one.

And here I though NOT buying one would force one to expend enough
energy to stay fit. No wonder this forced air heating is killing me!

nb

If you exercise on a regular basis, maybe. If you sit on your ass for
weeks at a time and suddenly try to move a couple of tons of snow, not
so much. The ER sees some heart attack victims every snowfall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2016 7:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you want stay fit while using a snowblower...

Buy one without all the fancy steering features so that you have to muscle it
around a bit. Don't use reverse, pull it backwards.

In addition, do the driveways of 2 or 3 neighbors every time you do yours.

There are three of us that help each other and it makes a huge
difference when we get a deep one. Another understanding, if my
driveway is cleared when you come home, you can park there while you
clean yours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in :

Agreed. It's way too strenuous and intermittent to be healthy,
particularly for gray-beards. ;-)

All you have to do is wait for 3 ladies to clear it off: April, May, and
June.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

If you exercise on a regular basis, maybe. If you sit on your ass for
weeks at a time and suddenly try to move a couple of tons of snow, not
so much. The ER sees some heart attack victims every snowfall.

I build a backyard ice rink every year. It gives me excerise while I'm
waiting for snowfall to run my snow blower. :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
news
Leon wrote:
HP printer problems date back to the 90's for me.

This thread had me reading reviews of laser printers for over 2 hours
yesterday--and I don't even need one! %-) That said, should I need one
tomorrow, I've narrowed my selection down to one of two of the Brother
laser printers... About every time I buy a printer, I seem to be
getting more for the money than the last time.

Bill, that's called being nerd sniped :-):
https://xkcd.com/356/

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Leon wrote:
HP printer problems date back to the 90's for me.

This thread had me reading reviews of laser printers for over 2 hours
yesterday--and I don't even need one! %-) That said, should I need one
tomorrow, I've narrowed my selection down to one of two of the Brother
laser printers... About every time I buy a printer, I seem to be
getting more for the money than the last time.

Bill, that's called being nerd sniped :-):
https://xkcd.com/356/

Thanks! I need a cane so I can stand at my porch and yell,
"Get off of my lawn!" ; )

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 16:21:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/31/2016 2:35 PM, Jack wrote:

(I did by her a snow blower for
Christmas, using our credit card).

BTW, I
bought her the snow blower so I wouldn't kill myself shoveling snow
which would cut her income significantly and end her robust medical
coverage.

Very thoughtful of you. Anyone living in snow country over (or near)
the ago of 60 should invest in one.

Done and Done, this year you should see the driveway 25 foot rise from
the road and it is better the 100 foot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01 Jan 2017 02:47:06 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

Agreed. It's way too strenuous and intermittent to be healthy,
particularly for gray-beards. ;-)

All you have to do is wait for 3 ladies to clear it off: April, May, and
June.

That works, too, but now I just wait for noon. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-31, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very thoughtful of you. Anyone living in snow country over (or near)
the ago of 60 should invest in one.

And here I though NOT buying one would force one to expend enough
energy to stay fit. No wonder this forced air heating is killing me!

nb

If you exercise on a regular basis, maybe. If you sit on your ass for
weeks at a time and suddenly try to move a couple of tons of snow, not
so much. The ER sees some heart attack victims every snowfall.

My father died shoveling snow, at age 52.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2016 7:04 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:18:44 -0500, Jack wrote:
On 29 Dec 2016 02:28:40 GMT, Puckdropper

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the
experience is usually much better.

315 million people in the US, 327 million cell phones, almost all are
running on andriod (unix) or Apple (Unix). Windows has a totally
insignificant chunk of the market.

More than that use light bulbs, so I guess Android is obsolete, too.

What OS are your light bulbs running? Just more nonesense from the
village idiot.

So, basically, Unix rules, win is the walking dead...

Utter nonsense.

Your assertions have no value, a complete waste of words. At least your
empty statements are brief, just not brief enough.

No, you're making the absurd assertion. The proof is up to you.

I gave you enough proof, you are too dumb to comprehend. If you don't
know the difference of a computer and a light bulb, not likely you are
smart enough to converse, which explains you two word, meaningless empty
assertions.

Modem? What century are you living in? This laptop boots Win10 in
about ten seconds. It's almost not worth putting it to sleep.

You are an idiot. You never heard of a cable modem? It's how all
comcast customers are hooked up to the internet.

You can't find your cable modem and *I'm* the idiot. Seems you don't
know much about computers (or, it seems, anything else).

You have no clue what a modem is, so as usual your statements are
meaningless drivel. When you find out the difference between a light
bulb and a computer, you might want to learn about cable modems and all
that rot that seems to have you helplessly confused.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/16 3:21 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I once had a Canon Bubblejet black ink printer, BJ300 IIRC. That was a
fantastic printer that could print really really fine lines. I screwed
it up by going with an after market ink.
http://obligement.free.fr/gfx2/canon_bj300_0.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 09:36:04 -0600, Leon wrote:

My only
worry is that we don't print enough to keep the inkjet in good woring
order but SWMBO wanted a printer to print pictures of the
granddaughter.

I once had a Canon Bubblejet black ink printer, BJ300 IIRC. That was a
fantastic printer that could print really really fine lines. I screwed
it up by going with an after market ink.

I gave up on inkjets some time back because of low use - if I didn't use
them every day or so, the heads clogged up - or the cartridges if they
had an integral head. We currently have one Brother color laser and two
Brother B&W lasers. Best Buy has a Brother color laser for under $200.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 09:44:15 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/31/2016 7:04 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:18:44 -0500, Jack wrote:
On 29 Dec 2016 02:28:40 GMT, Puckdropper

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the
experience is usually much better.

315 million people in the US, 327 million cell phones, almost all are
running on andriod (unix) or Apple (Unix). Windows has a totally
insignificant chunk of the market.

More than that use light bulbs, so I guess Android is obsolete, too.

What OS are your light bulbs running? Just more nonesense from the
village idiot.

I was just being as logical as you are. I can see that you don't like
the competition.

So, basically, Unix rules, win is the walking dead...

Utter nonsense.

Your assertions have no value, a complete waste of words. At least your
empty statements are brief, just not brief enough.

No, you're making the absurd assertion. The proof is up to you.

I gave you enough proof, you are too dumb to comprehend. If you don't
know the difference of a computer and a light bulb, not likely you are
smart enough to converse, which explains you two word, meaningless empty
assertions.

You gave no such thing. You've just tried to make the irrelevant
somehow relevant. It didn't work. You're just spouting nonsense.

Modem? What century are you living in? This laptop boots Win10 in
about ten seconds. It's almost not worth putting it to sleep.

You are an idiot. You never heard of a cable modem? It's how all
comcast customers are hooked up to the internet.

You can't find your cable modem and *I'm* the idiot. Seems you don't
know much about computers (or, it seems, anything else).

You have no clue what a modem is, so as usual your statements are
meaningless drivel. When you find out the difference between a light
bulb and a computer, you might want to learn about cable modems and all
that rot that seems to have you helplessly confused.

You really are an idiot's idiot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 17:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 09:36:04 -0600, Leon wrote:

My only
worry is that we don't print enough to keep the inkjet in good woring
order but SWMBO wanted a printer to print pictures of the
granddaughter.

I once had a Canon Bubblejet black ink printer, BJ300 IIRC. That was a
fantastic printer that could print really really fine lines. I screwed
it up by going with an after market ink.

I looked at a lot of reviews before I bought the Canon. There are a
lot of people using the after-market inks successfully and they have
good reviews, so...

I gave up on inkjets some time back because of low use - if I didn't use
them every day or so, the heads clogged up - or the cartridges if they
had an integral head. We currently have one Brother color laser and two
Brother B&W lasers. Best Buy has a Brother color laser for under $200.

That's what I'm afraid of but SWMBO wants to print pictures of the
granddaughter. That's not in the perview of reasonably priced laser
printers. If it doesn't work out, I'll just mark it up to an
experiment gone wrong. Printers are cheap enough that it really
doesn't matter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Laser printers still are well behind in color picture quality compared
to even really cheap ink jets. I had the same delemma, my ink jet died
from lack of use and always suffered dried ink clots. I replaced it with
a Xerox 680 color laser (this was about 10 years ago). The duplex feeder
is great and the color, at least for photos, is not bad, just not
"great", although that is not what my intended use was.

Hot wax printers are a bit better, but power hungry since they stay
"hot" 24/7.
Note this was based on the info I had gathered a decade ago and lasers
probably have improved, but I still doubt they can produce photo quality
stuff.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:55:48 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it
programatically

the program can only be used by defining parts programatically

there is no mouse interface at all

the built in editor is not much help
it does not do function completion or anything thing like that

but they are not even at version 1 yet so it is a wip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Oops, I have. In fact, I have a MS in CS with an emphasis in distributed
computing.

I have created web sites which made ample use of Oracle databases--they
were mostly navigable by mouse. So, stop, take a deep breath. I
suppose the idea that someone might be able to query a database "with
spoken words" is even stranger to you--but if you think about it, you
can find a few examples on the market today. Right?

not *especially* appealing.

nor are mouse-only navigable sites, for me

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contrarian wrote:
Bill wrote:

I have created web sites which made ample use of Oracle databases--they
were mostly navigable by mouse. So, stop, take a deep breath. I
suppose the idea that someone might be able to query a database "with
spoken words" is even stranger to you--but if you think about it, you
can find a few examples on the market today. Right?

not *especially* appealing.

nor are mouse-only navigable sites, for me

Yeah, I was surprised the graphical operating systems like Windows have
flourished the way they did. Though, I also didn't foresee the day when
everyone would want a computer. That was back when we used monochrome
monitors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 00:59:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised the graphical operating systems like Windows have
flourished the way they did. Though, I also didn't foresee the day when
everyone would want a computer. That was back when we used monochrome
monitors.

And a graphic monitor emulated a Textronics! I bought one of those (as a
business expense) for $999!

And I didn't think much of Windows either. But I never foresaw online
shopping and tutorials. Although I still prefer clicking on a menu list
to searching a cluttered screen for the right icon :-).

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 00:59:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised the graphical operating systems like Windows have
flourished the way they did. Though, I also didn't foresee the day when
everyone would want a computer. That was back when we used monochrome
monitors.

And a graphic monitor emulated a Textronics! I bought one of those (as a
business expense) for $999!

Was that "vector graphics"?

And I didn't think much of Windows either. But I never foresaw online
shopping and tutorials.

Yeah, me too. I laugh at myself, I may never be a stock picker. I
didn't like Apple when it was a new company. And I was ready to click
the buy button for Amazon (AMZN) for $42 when shares first started
trading, and I let someone on CNBC talk me out of it because "it was
only a book store". I've still owned it over short periods, but a
missed the chance for a
a 20-1 return! I probably could have never hung onto it after doubling
my money anyway.

Although I still prefer clicking on a menu list
to searching a cluttered screen for the right icon :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 14:48:19 -0500, Bill wrote:

And a graphic monitor emulated a Textronics! I bought one of those (as
a business expense) for $999!

Was that "vector graphics"?

I don't remember - but the name is familiar so it might have been. I do
remember it was the first graphics terminal for under $1K and had its own
language as well as the emulation. I tried to sell mine many years later
and it wound up in the dumpster for lack of interest :-).

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 00:59:28 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Contrarian wrote:
Bill wrote:

I have created web sites which made ample use of Oracle databases--they
were mostly navigable by mouse. So, stop, take a deep breath. I
suppose the idea that someone might be able to query a database "with
spoken words" is even stranger to you--but if you think about it, you
can find a few examples on the market today. Right?

not *especially* appealing.

nor are mouse-only navigable sites, for me

Yeah, I was surprised the graphical operating systems like Windows have
flourished the way they did. Though, I also didn't foresee the day when
everyone would want a computer. That was back when we used monochrome
monitors.

I forsaw that day before the microprocessor existed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:48:19 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 00:59:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised the graphical operating systems like Windows have
flourished the way they did. Though, I also didn't foresee the day when
everyone would want a computer. That was back when we used monochrome
monitors.

And a graphic monitor emulated a Textronics! I bought one of those (as a
business expense) for $999!

Was that "vector graphics"?

We used the Tektroniix vector graphics storage tubes for electronics
design in the '70s. They were connected to IBM terminals, so we had
dual screens, one for editing and the other for graphics. I'm sure
there were at least 500 sets on site.

And I didn't think much of Windows either. But I never foresaw online
shopping and tutorials.

Yeah, me too. I laugh at myself, I may never be a stock picker. I
didn't like Apple when it was a new company. And I was ready to click
the buy button for Amazon (AMZN) for $42 when shares first started
trading, and I let someone on CNBC talk me out of it because "it was
only a book store". I've still owned it over short periods, but a
missed the chance for a
a 20-1 return! I probably could have never hung onto it after doubling
my money anyway.

I had my wife buy Apple in her 401K when it was around $10. She sold
half at $20 and the other half a $40. Didn't want to get greedy. ;-)

Although I still prefer clicking on a menu list
to searching a cluttered screen for the right icon :-).

For (data) files, certainly. For programs, not so much. I know where
they are on the desktop anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 14:48:19 -0500, Bill wrote:

And a graphic monitor emulated a Textronics! I bought one of those (as
a business expense) for $999!

Was that "vector graphics"?

I don't remember - but the name is familiar so it might have been. I do
remember it was the first graphics terminal for under $1K and had its own
language as well as the emulation. I tried to sell mine many years later
and it wound up in the dumpster for lack of interest :-).

Textronics is, or was, a brand. I learned "graphics programming on one
of their monitors, but it was "raster graphics" (i.e. modern). It had
it's own graphics library that was linked to during compilation, to draw
line segments, etc. Of course, the Java programming language does too. I
haven't seen the standard library for a modern GPU, though surely it has
to exist at multiple levels (machine language, and high-level
user-invoked functions, in particular).