dadiOH

Default Program

When I make something I generally work out the finished dimensions I
want then make rough sketches of the components. I draw terribly and
would kind of like a CAD program that works in a similar manner. For
example...

1. Define components (top, bottom, sides, back, front, whatever).

2. Define relationships of components ("top" = "parallel to bottom", for
example), preferably by drag & drop.

3. Draw components by inputing dimensions.

4. View/modify each component as a separate dimensioned drawing

5. View all components in relationship to the others; eg, an "unfolded"
and dimensioned view (front in center, top above, bottom below, sides at
respective sides)

6. Put the lot together in a dimensioned 3D view.

Basically, I don't want a program to actually draw the stuff but one
that takes numeric input and creates them from that. Any suggestions?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Robatoy

In article 1dTve.987$dz6.66@trnddc02, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[snip]
Basically, I don't want a program to actually draw the stuff but one
that takes numeric input and creates them from that. Any suggestions?

Check out these guys: http://www.sketchup.com/

Keeping in mind that all reasonably competent drafting/drawing packages
come with a learning curve.
Sketchup has an interface which allows you to do simple things easily,
but the more you want, the deeper you need to dig.
None are cheap either.
I use MiniCAD (now called Vectorworks PC/Mac also) and it's like second
nature to me after 17 years. (BTW, it was called Mini because it ran on
a computer smaller than a main-frame.)
AutoCAD is handy for designing aeroplanes. Too big and bulky and
expensive to be an option...even the so-called 'Lite' is a pain to use.
I took AutoCAD for three years at the local college (it's an industry
standard around these parts, so I kinda had to...) But I always
gravitated back to what came to me on a more natural level.
Sketchup is the closest thing to the MiniCAD interface
Leon

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Most any good and OLD CAD program will do that except most have made life
simpler by eliminating a lot of data entry as you have described and
substituted Direct Distance Entry relative from the last point given. If
you have a drafting back ground it will be a GREAT help with any CAD
program, otherwise I thing you are looking at a big learning curve to over
come. CAD programs do not read your mind and quite complex compared to just
about any other type of software. You might be better served by reading up
on the subject of Drafting in general before going with a CAD program.

Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
AutoCAD is handy for designing aeroplanes. Too big and bulky and
expensive to be an option...even the so-called 'Lite' is a pain to use.
I took AutoCAD for three years at the local college (it's an industry
standard around these parts, so I kinda had to...) But I always
gravitated back to what came to me on a more natural level.
Sketchup is the closest thing to the MiniCAD interface

LOL... I use AutoCAD LT, and until I finally upgraded to it 10 or so years
ago none of the CAD programs made life simpler for me and I used 5 or 6
cheaper versions 10 years previous to that. I did how ever have a formal
drafting back ground going back to the early 70's when drawing by hand was
still main stream. I learned AutoCAD LT on my own with no problems. By any
chance did you have a drafting back ground before taking AutoCAD courses?
IMHO knowing all the short cuts and rules to drawing in the first place
makes moving up to a CAD program much simpler. CAD programs do not teach
you to draw correctly they simply speed the process up. With out the basic
fundamentals of drafting, CAD programs and as you put it the more complex
AutoCAD program can be quite intimidating.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
AutoCAD is handy for designing aeroplanes. Too big and bulky and

[snip]

By any
chance did you have a drafting back ground before taking AutoCAD courses?
IMHO knowing all the short cuts and rules to drawing in the first place
makes moving up to a CAD program much simpler.

Yes I did, insofar as 'drafting' per se is required in electrical
engineering. I wouldn't consider myself a 'draftsman' by 1970's
standards, as those guys have always amazed me. I managed enough to get
a credit though... and yes it is very helpful when going to a CAD
program.
It also explains why AutoCAD has so many ways to draw a simple line as
many of the metaphors are from the drafting trade.

I found that AutoCAD fell flat on it's face in 3D solid modelling
compared to more 3D oriented programs. Even though I received
certification in 3D modelling from AutoDesk, I found it very cumbersome
and virtually useless from a creative standpoint. NURBS were available
to me elsewhere as was the ability to intersect, subtract, add and
section solids... without having to know what Boole had for breakfast on
Oct 12 1858. (Oatmeal and apple sauce?)

CAD programs do not teach
you to draw correctly they simply speed the process up. With out the basic
fundamentals of drafting, CAD programs and as you put it the more complex
AutoCAD program can be quite intimidating.

Couldn't agree more. NO CAD program will teach you to think either on a
flat plane or in 3D space. All that **** happens in the brain first,
then CAD will help you put it on paper/file. If one can't visualize a 6"
x 12" x 12' beam with a 45-degree 2" chamfer running the length of the
beam, you'll never know whether or not what you drew was correct.

A friend of mine teaches manufacturing technology at a local high school
and some of his students take to CAD like ducks to water, and some, even
though bright in other areas, cannot get to first base with the simple
programs.

One thing that ****es me off in a big way, is those clowns at the local
kitchen stores drag-n-dropping library items on a plan and 'creating'
kitchen lay-outs. (Never mind the 3" and 4" spacers all over, because
the library doesn't HAVE a 19 1/2" wide cabinet)/.... but I
digress...ALMOST got into a rant there, there, didn't I?

I can open *MY* drawers in a drawing of a cabinet.....G

Patriarch

Robatoy wrote in
:
snip
One thing that ****es me off in a big way, is those clowns at the
local kitchen stores drag-n-dropping library items on a plan and
'creating' kitchen lay-outs. (Never mind the 3" and 4" spacers all
over, because the library doesn't HAVE a 19 1/2" wide cabinet)/....
but I digress...ALMOST got into a rant there, there, didn't I?

I can open *MY* drawers in a drawing of a cabinet.....G

What I want is a drag & drop kitchen layout program suitable for someopne
like myself. Someone who can build pretty much anything in the "how to
build kitchen cabinet" books, but needs approval from the LOML to get the
layout correct, before going to the cardboard model.

In other words, I want to pay $99, and have HER work through it, like she
does with her quilt layouts, fussing with the options well past my patience
threshold.

ADD married OCD, and yet it lasts, 32 years now. Miracles DO happen! ;-)

Patriarch
Lobby Dosser

Patriarch wrote:

Robatoy wrote in
:
snip
[...]

;-)

Patriarch

Might take a look at Arcon. I downloaded the demo and have been messing
with it for a couple hours. They'll sell you the 'Interior Designer'
version for $38.00. http://www.3darchitect.co.uk/3darchitect/index.htm

LD
Robert Bonomi

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
:
snip
One thing that ****es me off in a big way, is those clowns at the
local kitchen stores drag-n-dropping library items on a plan and
'creating' kitchen lay-outs. (Never mind the 3" and 4" spacers all
over, because the library doesn't HAVE a 19 1/2" wide cabinet)/....
but I digress...ALMOST got into a rant there, there, didn't I?

I can open *MY* drawers in a drawing of a cabinet.....G

What I want is a drag & drop kitchen layout program suitable for someopne
like myself. Someone who can build pretty much anything in the "how to
build kitchen cabinet" books, but needs approval from the LOML to get the
layout correct, before going to the cardboard model.

In other words, I want to pay $99, and have HER work through it, like she
does with her quilt layouts, fussing with the options well past my patience
threshold.

IKEA has one for freebie. downloadable. Only knows about their cabinets
though.

CW

You have described SolidWorks pretty well. Got $5000.00? How many hours do
you have to learn this (think hundreds). I use Turbocad Pro. Full 3D with 2D
takeoffs, sections ect. Bargain price. About $900.00. All programs of this
complexity take serious effort and perseverance to learn, and lots of time.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Patriarch

Lobby Dosser wrote in newsA2we.387
$Ku6.17@trnddc04:

snip
What I want is a drag & drop kitchen layout program suitable for
someopne like myself. Someone who can build pretty much anything in
the "how to build kitchen cabinet" books, but needs approval from the
LOML to get the layout correct, before going to the cardboard model.

In other words, I want to pay $99, and have HER work through it, like
she does with her quilt layouts, fussing with the options well past my
patience threshold.

ADD married OCD, and yet it lasts, 32 years now. Miracles DO happen!
;-)

Patriarch

Might take a look at Arcon. I downloaded the demo and have been messing
with it for a couple hours. They'll sell you the 'Interior Designer'
version for $38.00. http://www.3darchitect.co.uk/3darchitect/index.htm

LD

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Patriarch
Juergen Hannappel

"dadiOH" writes:

When I make something I generally work out the finished dimensions I
want then make rough sketches of the components. I draw terribly and
would kind of like a CAD program that works in a similar manner. For
example...

[...]

Basically, I don't want a program to actually draw the stuff but one
that takes numeric input and creates them from that. Any suggestions?

Well... If I am designing something that needs a drawing (i.e. stuff
that get's made in a workshop, *not* woodworking projects I do myself)
I usually (after the "vision" stage, which happens in my head only)
create a PostScript drawing, which uses some math (PostScript is a
nice programming language, after all) to calculate the shapes from some
basic design parameters.
By varying the design parameters I then can see where problems pop up
and find optimal solutions. An example you can see at
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe/vi2.eps

Greetings,
Juergen
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23