Old February 1st 04, 04:06 AM
Peter Kiproff

Default Boreing Holes ?

There must be a better more automatic way !

I have a lathe, that I love dearly, I have added stepping motors to it so
it's kinda CNC
however one of the tasks I do is to use the dead center & manually drill a
hole so that a boring bar
can be used to bring it out to the required size.

I want to combine both steps into an automatic cycle, that runs without me
turning the wheels.

My thought was to mount the drill bit on the carriage, lets call it a 1/2"
drill bit 6" long.
About 1" down from the cutting end, Tig weld a piece of HSS in the flute,
sticking out maybe .050"
as the drill enters the material " usually 2" aluminum 3 to 5 " long."
After the first inch the HSS will also start cutting & opening up the hole
further. Then pretending this is also a boring bar keep making passes until
the desired ID is reached.

I assume that a drilling or pecking cycle would be used to get the bit
through & keep the chips out.

What method do you use? Is there a tool for this kind of work?

I'm not concerned about speed, even .010" cuts as long as I can walk away
are fine.

Helpful hints from real machinists are most welcome.

Thanks for listening

Peter

Old February 1st 04, 08:51 AM
Gunner

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:06:31 -0500, "Peter Kiproff"
wrote:

[...]

www.omniturn.com

They make good tools for the job. I sell and service them if you need
one.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Old February 1st 04, 11:25 AM
Backlash

Default Boreing Holes ?Gunner

Gunner, we just bought a used GT 75 and got it set up and wired Wednesday.
Came with a CNC Enhancements Hydro-turn bar feeder. First off, it had a bad
fan in the controller power supply, and would error out the servos randomly
as to X or Z. I took it apart and found the bad fan, replaced the fan, and
it seems to run ok now. I felt right at home in that thing, being it's PC
based. It ran cutting air all day Thursday without missing a beat. We
normally run Brownies and Davenports, so this will be a new adventure for
us. Any hints to stay out of trouble? Other than education?

RJ

Old February 1st 04, 04:27 PM
Peter Kiproff

Thank you for the link Gunner, nice looking machine.
Is there a standard tool that can be used on a regular lathe?

or should I try to make a combination drill / boreing bar?

Peter

Old February 1st 04, 06:00 PM
jim rozen

In article , Peter Kiproff says...

I'm not concerned about speed, even .010" cuts as long as I can walk away
are fine.

The only comment I could make here is, the fastest way
to get fired from a CNC shop is to walk away from a
machine while it's cutting. That was a real no-no
in the place I worked.

Jim

please reply to:

Old February 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Joe Way

On 1 Feb 2004 10:00:43 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Peter Kiproff says...

I'm not concerned about speed, even .010" cuts as long as I can walk away
are fine.

The only comment I could make here is, the fastest way
to get fired from a CNC shop is to walk away from a
machine while it's cutting. That was a real no-no
in the place I worked.

Jim

=======================
Things change. These days, *many* CNC shops set up jobs that run all
night unattended.

Joe
Old February 1st 04, 09:17 PM
Matweier

Since it's Aluminum, you might get away with drilling a pilot hole and then a
2-fluted endmill used as a boring bar. Make sure you mount it so that the
flutes are on center at the cutting edge.
Old February 1st 04, 09:22 PM
Matweier

There's a tool called a "K" drill or indexable drill. It has carbide inserts in
the face. It requires no c-drill or spot. It also bores. Expensive though. It's
a great tool.
Old February 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
Peter Kiproff

Thank you Matweier

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I think I've seen a flat drilling insert on the end of a holder, If the
insert was wider than the holder
it may just work.

Peter

Old February 2nd 04, 01:14 AM
Chris Cox

wrote:

In article , Peter Kiproff says...

I'm not concerned about speed, even .010" cuts as long as I can walk away
are fine.

The only comment I could make here is, the fastest way
to get fired from a CNC shop is to walk away from a
machine while it's cutting. That was a real no-no
in the place I worked.

Jim

Huh. What kind of place did you work in? The places I worked (Gear
shop, mold shop) were exactly the other way. Once a program had run
once without crashing, it ran unattended except for part changes, tool
offsets, or whatever. Wasn't uncommon to have one person on two or
three machines.

Chris
The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: "Of course it is none of my
business but--" is to place a period after the word "but." Don't use excessive force
in supplying such moron with a period. Cutting his throat is only a momentary
pleasure and is bound to get you talked about.