Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Roadkill question

Dave wrote in
:

Last time I went down to Toronto Island over ten years ago, you
couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose ****.

That's the same for the recreational playing fields by Bear Mountain
parking lots in New York, a very pretty area if you can look around the 2
legged creatures.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/9/2012 1:21 PM, Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be
tempted to take it home and butcher it? Mike

Quite a few years ago my wife and I spent a night in Greeneville
Junction, Maine. There was a pub there called the Roadkill Cafe,
complete with a comical menu full of flattened critters (the food was
mostly standard fare). After dinner we hung out at the bar for a
while.
The fellow next to us spent more time than was absolutely necessary
describing an nighttime encounter between his 4x4 vehicle and one of
the local megafauna. To make an overlong story short, it didn't go
well for either the moose or the truck.

Now our friend had had a few beers, and had likely done the same the
night of the crash, so there may have been some embellishment. But to
hear him tell it, the highway cop that responded to the accident asked
him if he wanted to keep the meat.

"500 pounds of fresh venison? Hell yeah!"

Our friend was maybe 155 pounds including his boots, and didn't look
like the type to have butchering skills, a second vehicle or a walk-in
freezer. He told us a number of other stories as well, and I'd be
lying if I didn't admit to feeling a twinge of skepticism here and
there. But he did keep us entertained for a while.

I have a bumper sticker (picked up in New Hampshire). It reads:

Brake for Moose
It can save your life

I'm proud to say that since I've been displaying the above sticker, not a
single person in Texas has collided with a moose!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2012 10:21 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Ralph Compton wrote:

And I suspect this goes on a lot more often than anyone knows.

Not all that likely. Most people who know anything about this stuff stay a
mile away from road kill. Sure enough, someone is going to raise the
one-off story about a friend of a friend who took a road kill - or a Texan
(who are well known for taking armadillo off the shoulder of the road for
family Bar-B-Que), and that's exactly what it is - the one-off story. You
really should believe that it goes on a lot less than you might believe.

Not to mention that hitting a deer can do some serious damage to a
vehicle. Hid I just hit a deer the last thing on my mind would to clean
it and pack the meat to take home.

Then add to that if it happens in California you have to have available
the deer tag warning about Cancer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote:

And I suspect this goes on a lot more often than anyone knows.

Not all that likely. Most people who know anything about this stuff stay
mile away from road kill. Sure enough, someone is going to raise the
one-off story about a friend of a friend who took a road kill - or a
Texan
(who are well known for taking armadillo off the shoulder of the road for
family Bar-B-Que), and that's exactly what it is - the one-off story.
You
really should believe that it goes on a lot less than you might believe.

Not to mention that hitting a deer can do some serious damage to a
vehicle. Hid I just hit a deer the last thing on my mind would to clean
it and pack the meat to take home.

Then add to that if it happens in California you have to have available
the deer tag warning about Cancer.

Ticks and Lyme are an issue here... Don't generally have Permethrin with me
in the car (in my experience ticks swim in Deet) so there is some risk
there. My pen knife has been put into play for gutting so that isn't an
issue... and I keep a blue tarp in the trunk so leaks aren't an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:54:31 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:13:59 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:21:40 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be
tempted to take it home and butcher it?

No, and I love venison. But the people who hit deer usually butcher
them in the woods, while it's fresh and uncontaminated by feces.
Urban neighbors and trash men seem to have a thing about antlers
and rotting guts in the trashcans, too. Plus, it's illegal in some
states to harvest it without a hunting license, so you could be
fined.

We field dress them in the woods - not butcher them. Then we drag
them through everything on the ground, to get them home to wash them
and butcher them. Mine do get washed very well once they get home,
and actually, they don't get dragged very far these days. I have
technology to make that job easier.

Not illegal to take roadkill in any state, unless it's something
like an eagle. Roadkill is not hunting and that is what is
goverened by states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine
Read it and weep, bubba.

Your point bubba?

See "Wisconsin".

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:28:49 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
Swingman wrote in news:d-
:

Judging from the smell, real honest to bueno,
cooked-fresh-in-rural-Mexico, Menudo is indeed made from overripe
roadkill ... at least that is exactly what it smells like on the way
past your nose to your lips.

That said, if you can ever get it past those lips ...

And that, my friend, is exactly the reason that God put the nose
right above the mouth.

Thankfully - a voice of reason...

Yo no quiero menudo, gracias.

But the "nose above the mouth" statement reminds me of an engineer
joke:

--snip--
Several engineers are standing around one day trying
to decide what type of engineer must have designed
the human body. (All right, for the purpose of the joke
there is an assumption of some sort of higher being that
actually designed the human body...work with me people.)

The chemical engineer says "the human body was designed
by a chemical engineer. Look how the body takes in
nutrients and then turns them into energy and body
parts just by re-organizing a few chemical bonds."

The electrical enginner says "the human body was
clearly designed by an electrical engineer. Just observe
how tiny electrical impulses cause the muscles to move,
cause the person to feel, see and listen to all that is
happening around them. And finally look how a few
very tiny tiny electrical impulses can store a memory
for a lifetime, and yet bring that information back at a moments
notice. Clearly the work of a brillaint electrical engineer."

The mechanical engineer says "bahh! The human body was
designed by a mechanical engineer. Notice how the muscles and the
bones work to make the body move.
Notice how the organs work to move the food and other
nutrients around to the places where they are needed."

Finally the Civil engineer pipes up and says "you're all
wrong. The human body was designed by a civil engineer.
Who else would put a waste treatment plant right next
to a recreational facility?"
--snip--

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message ...
That's the same for the recreational playing fields by Bear Mountain
parking lots in New York, a very pretty area if you can look around the 2
legged creatures.
Dave wrote in
:
Last time I went down to Toronto Island over ten years ago, you
couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose ****.

An associate of mine has an automated, taxidermist prepared, coyote that he
puts near the edge of the pond at the resort/banquet facility that he owns.
The head and tail move... haven't seen a goose there since!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 6:59*am, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 03:33:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

That's how a fair bit of the freshly reported roadkill is handled
here. Often volunteer cops or smoke-eaters will do the cleaning,
packaging and if taken in the fall, frozen and distributed to people
around christmas.

I remember reading about authorities on the US side of lake Ontario
shooting the marauding Canada geese, cooking them up and serving them
to the homeless. Good for them. I hate those damned birds.

Last time I went down to Toronto Island over ten years ago, you
couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose ****.
Those damned birds are protected over here. Stupidest law on the
books.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...ials-sending-c...

I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not
so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
... That's the same for
the recreational playing fields by Bear Mountain parking lots in New
York, a very pretty area if you can look around the 2 legged
creatures. Dave wrote in
:
Last time I went down to Toronto Island over ten years ago, you
couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose ****.

An associate of mine has an automated, taxidermist prepared, coyote
that he puts near the edge of the pond at the resort/banquet facility
that he owns. The head and tail move... haven't seen a goose there
since!

John

Sounds like a great idea!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 12:21*pm, Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be tempted to take it home and butcher it?

Mike

Years ago in Kansas the authorities did offer the deer to the person
involved in the accident. I don't know if that is still the case. If
it is as mangled as some I have seen I wouldn't want it because you
can get into all kinds of contamination issues.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 1:21*pm, Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be tempted to take it home and butcher it?

Mike

In theory, Yes!. In practice, 7 times. (one hit by me, the other six
I witnessed or were told about by a trusted friend and made it there
within 15 minutes of the "connection")

Marc (who does not buy beef)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 07:35:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 10, 6:59*am, Dave wrote:
[...]

They guard your banana plantation, eh? How do you keep them around
during the winter?

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

I have a bumper sticker (picked up in New Hampshire). It reads:

Brake for Moose
It can save your life

I'm proud to say that since I've been displaying the above sticker,
not a single person in Texas has collided with a moose!

While there, I did bag a moose on the hunting trip. I called the wife to
brag just a little.

She asked: "You shot a moose? Somehow that doesn't sound like you. What's
missing?"

"Well, it had a saddle..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not
so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.

They guard your banana plantation, eh? How do you keep them around
during the winter?

Most migrate south into the US for winter. But, an increasingly
greater number of them stay and winter in Canada because of the idiots
up here who feed them on a regular basis. Failing that, geese are just
as capable of breaking into your garbage can as any wily raccoon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Mar 10, 6:59*am, Dave wrote:
[...]

In a coop. Coop De Ville?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
In a coop. Coop De Ville?

Seeing as how you might eat them, don't you mean coup de grace?
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are a few here that would give you a goose if you would hold
still for a few minutes.

---------------
"Robatoy" wrote in message
I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not
so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Naw - the cow chips are used to run off the bugs - in a ring of bug fire
around the camp.

That was the old method. Cheap and effective.

Martin

On 3/9/2012 10:29 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in news:d-
:

Judging from the smell, real honest to bueno,
cooked-fresh-in-rural-Mexico, Menudo is indeed made from overripe
roadkill ... at least that is exactly what it smells like on the way
past your nose to your lips.

That said, if you can ever get it past those lips ...

And that, my friend, is exactly the reason that God put the nose
right above the mouth.

So what kind of wood/smoke yields the best flavor?

Cow chips - before they get lit on fire...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 10, 6:59*am, Dave wrote:
[...]

I had a stove by that name. Excellent old gas job with thermostatic
burner, big chrome griddle in the middle, and a separate broiler with
unlimited height adjuster. She was a beaut!

And, while we're speaking of wooden cock houses, I saw some advertised
in the local Grange Co-op ad last week. Hayseuss Crisco, they go for
$650-800 around here! Now I see why Swingy was using a Festool to
build 'em. I had no idea they went for so much money.
http://www.grangecoop.com/poultry-coops

P.S: I thought you might have bought them a little goose coupe. You
don't know what I got.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

P.S: I thought you might have bought them a little goose coupe. You
don't know what I got.

When my sons were small, we used to go fishing at the pond in the local park, a park that had
nearly as many geese as it had fish. After returning from one of these excursions, I sat down in
the living room and put my feet up. SWMBO immediately started giving me grief for coming
into the house with dog poop on my shoe. I looked at it, and told her it wasn't dog poop. What
is it, then? she demanded.

You guys know what came next, right?

[Singing] "It's just a little goose poop, you don't know what I got."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 10:55*pm, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

In a coop. Coop De Ville?

Seeing as how you might eat them, don't you mean coup de grace?

Coup de Grease maybe, boy there can be a lot of fat on them birds.
Best to stuff them with just bread for the first couple of hours in
the smoker, then toss the stuffing and put in fresh, with tangerines,
walnuts, that sorta fare. Goose can be delicious, but not those flying
****-machines. I guess that depends on where they've been feeding.
Like deer around here. Some are strictly corn-fed (farmers just LOVE
to have them steal the corn) or from the Pineries, very wild tasting.
I like the corn fed venison.

Punch line to another goose joke: Throw away the bird, eat the
stuffing: (a brick.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

---------------"Robatoy" *wrote in message

I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not
so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.

I'm not surprised that you're interested in my arse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2012 11:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:55 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

In a coop. Coop De Ville?

Seeing as how you might eat them, don't you mean coup de grace?

Coup de Grease maybe, boy there can be a lot of fat on them birds.
Best to stuff them with just bread for the first couple of hours in
the smoker, then toss the stuffing and put in fresh, with tangerines,
walnuts, that sorta fare. Goose can be delicious, but not those flying
****-machines. I guess that depends on where they've been feeding.
Like deer around here. Some are strictly corn-fed (farmers just LOVE
to have them steal the corn) or from the Pineries, very wild tasting.
I like the corn fed venison.

Punch line to another goose joke: Throw away the bird, eat the
stuffing: (a brick.)

Once upon a time, and quite a few years went by, in which I never missed
a single day of duck and goose season here on the Gulf Coast ... to the
point of, and after just getting out of the service and being generally
worthless for a while, leasing 1100 acres of rice field and guiding hunts.

As time went on, and I got tired of both picking, cleaning and preparing
the whole bird for the table, my favorite way to cook goose was to split
the breast skin and filet and remove just the breast; season well,
tenderize slightly with a meat hammer (more to get the seasoning in than
to tenderize) and drench them in flour, then pan fry the two breast
halves like you would slices of venison backstrap.

Most of the geese in those days, at least along the Mississippi Flyway,
were rice fed and, fixed in the manner above, would make a believer out
of most goose meat skeptics.

We ate pretty good back in those days ... with no FDA sanctioned,
corporate additives.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That said, roadkill is nasty. The side of the road is the best place for
it.

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 9:03*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

--

-Mike-

No - I think they chased all of the little digging ******* up to
Kansas.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2012 9:03 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

Those are not roadkill. In Texas, armadillos are born on the road dead.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 2:21*pm, Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be tempted to take it home and butcher it?

Mike

Ruptured internal organs could render the meat unfit. Otherwise,
any meat is fair game for chili making.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

Those are not roadkill. In Texas, armadillos are born on the road dead.

Apparently there's a secret unit in every county courthouse which
distributes them evenly (according to the latest, Federally approved,
voting map) around Texas between 2 and 4 AM each night (it's been
rumored that the wives and daughters of the members of these units are
recognizable by the SS James Avery armadillo pendant on a silver chain
they wear to ward off the dreaded armadillo aromatic after effects).

I mean, what else could explain where our tax dollars go, eh?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. To prove to the prairie dog that it _could_ be done!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
communications...
In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

It is definitely illegal to take roadkill deer in Texas.

There's no roadkill deer in Texas - only armadillos...

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. To prove to the prairie dog that it _could_ be done!

From my long distance bicycle trip experiences it's the whitetail deer and
antelope that seem to have a lot of trouble crossing the road... snakes,
turtles, squirrels, skunks, woodchucks, porcupines, ground squirrels,
prairie dogs, fox and myriad birds don't seem to fare well either nor do the
occasional alligator or bobcat... only seen one road kill chicken so they
must be good at it. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in

Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be tempted
to take it home and butcher it?

Mike

My dad hit a deer once and the Trooper asked if he wanted to take it home.
He daid if he didn't he'd call a person who would. I suppose the difference
is freshly killed vs. one you find dead by the road.