Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Roadkill question

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/9/2012 1:21 PM, Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be
tempted to take it home and butcher it? Mike

Quite a few years ago my wife and I spent a night in Greeneville
Junction, Maine. There was a pub there called the Roadkill Cafe,
complete with a comical menu full of flattened critters (the food was
mostly standard fare). After dinner we hung out at the bar for a
while.
The fellow next to us spent more time than was absolutely necessary
describing an nighttime encounter between his 4x4 vehicle and one of
the local megafauna. To make an overlong story short, it didn't go
well for either the moose or the truck.

Now our friend had had a few beers, and had likely done the same the
night of the crash, so there may have been some embellishment. But to
hear him tell it, the highway cop that responded to the accident asked
him if he wanted to keep the meat.

"500 pounds of fresh venison? Hell yeah!"

Our friend was maybe 155 pounds including his boots, and didn't look
like the type to have butchering skills, a second vehicle or a walk-in
freezer. He told us a number of other stories as well, and I'd be
lying if I didn't admit to feeling a twinge of skepticism here and
there. But he did keep us entertained for a while.

I have a bumper sticker (picked up in New Hampshire). It reads:

Brake for Moose
It can save your life

I'm proud to say that since I've been displaying the above sticker, not a
single person in Texas has collided with a moose!