Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Roadkill question

On 3/11/2012 11:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:55 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

In a coop. Coop De Ville?

Seeing as how you might eat them, don't you mean coup de grace?

Coup de Grease maybe, boy there can be a lot of fat on them birds.
Best to stuff them with just bread for the first couple of hours in
the smoker, then toss the stuffing and put in fresh, with tangerines,
walnuts, that sorta fare. Goose can be delicious, but not those flying
****-machines. I guess that depends on where they've been feeding.
Like deer around here. Some are strictly corn-fed (farmers just LOVE
to have them steal the corn) or from the Pineries, very wild tasting.
I like the corn fed venison.

Punch line to another goose joke: Throw away the bird, eat the
stuffing: (a brick.)

Once upon a time, and quite a few years went by, in which I never missed
a single day of duck and goose season here on the Gulf Coast ... to the
point of, and after just getting out of the service and being generally
worthless for a while, leasing 1100 acres of rice field and guiding hunts.

As time went on, and I got tired of both picking, cleaning and preparing
the whole bird for the table, my favorite way to cook goose was to split
the breast skin and filet and remove just the breast; season well,
tenderize slightly with a meat hammer (more to get the seasoning in than
to tenderize) and drench them in flour, then pan fry the two breast
halves like you would slices of venison backstrap.

Most of the geese in those days, at least along the Mississippi Flyway,
were rice fed and, fixed in the manner above, would make a believer out
of most goose meat skeptics.

We ate pretty good back in those days ... with no FDA sanctioned,
corporate additives.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010