Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brad point drill bits

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...-set-1637.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-piec...set-35837.html

Really, try them out. What do you have to lose?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In , wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...-set-1637.html

Really, try them out. What do you have to lose?

Compare the pictures near the drill tips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I
get wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess
the main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Give Lee Valley a look:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...40,45534,42240

The also have some info about brad point bits.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2010 7:10 PM, BobS wrote:
wrote in message
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I
get wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess
the main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Give Lee Valley a look:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...40,45534,42240

The also have some info about brad point bits.

I have the Lee Valley brad point bits. I really like them. They are sharp
enough that they are a little scary to use. I received a top rating in one
of the woodworking magazine tests a couple of years ago.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rdNo=2&blockNo....

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. * I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Stubby bits whip less, would be preferred for dowel joints. No
experience with this make, just an example:

http://tinyurl.com/2da37jt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that
since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get wary
when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Don't know if they are good or not as I've never tried them . Lee Valley
has some very good ones (made in USA last I looked) that were highly rated
in Fine Woodworking a few years back. I've been using them quite a while
and like them a lot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 02:32:40 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

In article , Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality...

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks).

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

No, steel quality and initial sharpness. I was happily surprised.

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...-set-1637.html

I have some of these, and they're SteelX brand. Surprisingly good, but
I'm not using them on hardwoods. YMMV

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-piec...set-35837.html

Really, try them out. What do you have to lose?

Not much!

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Lee Valley has a set of 7 from 1/8 to 1/2 for 54--those are IIRC the top
rated bit in Fine Woodworking's shootout.
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Larry W) wrote:

In , wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality...

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks).

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item.
Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to
buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-12-02 21:20:28 -0500, Bill said:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that
since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...Bit-Gauge.aspx

And

if that's too many...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

-----------------------
Mutually exclusive terms.

When you going to get out of the cheap seats.

You want brad point drills, try McFeelys, WW Grainger (Same company
these days), McMaster-Carr, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc.

Notice Home Depot & Lowes didn't make the list.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:29:21 -0500, Bill wrote:

A family member wanted to
buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.

Bill

Why not. If you buy junk you'll just throw them away and spend even
more money replacing them. Does that make sense?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:36:06 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

-----------------------
Mutually exclusive terms.

When you going to get out of the cheap seats.

You want brad point drills, try McFeelys, WW Grainger (Same company
these days), McMaster-Carr, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc.

Notice Home Depot & Lowes didn't make the list.

Lew

You guys gotta remember, Craftsman doesn't MAKE the stuff, nor does
Granger, McMaster-Carr, Lee Valley,
They all either have them made to their spec or rebrand/package
product from other manufacturers.
The fact they are German and not Chinese means there is a high
likelihood they are reasonable quality - and quite possibly either
identical to, are at least equal to, the product you would buy from
one or more of the referenced suppliers.

Most likely either Miebach, Colt, Famag, or Diemar.

They don't come much better than either of those.
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Larry W) wrote:

In , wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality...

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks).

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item.
Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to buy
me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.

Bill

Actually, after reading J. Clarke's post, maybe I can work something out
(7 pc set for $54). Maybe I just need a gift card from Lee Valley to
help!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:33:03 -0500, Steve

On 2010-12-02 21:20:28 -0500, Bill said:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that
since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...Bit-Gauge.aspx

And

if that's too many...

At less than a quater each, average, they are likely high quality
Chinese bits. The TiN coating just makes them LOOK expensive and/or
good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-12-02 21:20:28 -0500, Bill said:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I
get wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess
the main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...Bit-Gauge.aspx

And
if that's too many...

Yeah Steve, less than a quarter a piece--probably really sharp!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

-----------------------
Mutually exclusive terms.

When you going to get out of the cheap seats.

You want brad point drills, try McFeelys, WW Grainger (Same company
these days), McMaster-Carr, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc.

Notice Home Depot& Lowes didn't make the list.

Lew

Thank you. I copied the list. There are a couple there with which I'm
not acquainted. BTW, I noticed tonight that Home Depot had a 6 piece
Brad point drill set for 14.99. I didn't bite.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote.
Lew

You guys gotta remember, Craftsman doesn't MAKE the stuff, nor does
Granger, McMaster-Carr, Lee Valley,
They all either have them made to their spec or rebrand/package
product from other manufacturers.

..
Lee Valley is a partial exception to that. At least some of the Vertitas
stuff is made in house.

As for the brad boints, they state:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and
sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from
high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about
10 times as long as carbon steel bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2010 9:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

I have a ton of twist drills ranging from super high quality to junk.
The difference is awe inspiring. I have one set of brad point bits that
I bought for those times when I wanted super clean holes with pin point
accuracy. I bought a set and rarely use them because I don't need them
most of the time and I bought a cheap set of Sears, that look just like
the one you list up there, but I'm certain I didn't pay $40 for them.
(it was a while ago)

Whats wrong with them is 50% of the reason I bought them was super clean
holes... not so much. I recommend you get the Lee Valley bits for just
$3 more. I don't own them, but they advertise they are sharp, (they
resharpen them themselves) and stay sharp, and people that own them have
said they like them. I own the Sears, and would recommend Lee Valley.

I sharpen my own twist drills, not a clue how to sharpen brad points, so
get ones that are sharp and stay sharp, and only use them when needed.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that
since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get wary
when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

If you are serious about a good set of brad poing pits, "Colt" Twinland "5
STAR" brad point bits. The larger sizes used in a DP do not need a backer
board to prevent tear out on the back side.
Pricey but these actually come sharp to start with and are made of HSS.

Colt makes a less expensive bit but the "5 Star" bits are the best.

I have several and love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGG9wCMLoc

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 2010-12-02 21:20:28 -0500, Bill said:

Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping that
since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the
main issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...Bit-Gauge.aspx

And

if that's too many...

At less than a quater each, average, they are likely high quality
Chinese bits. The TiN coating just makes them LOOK expensive and/or
good.

The actually work fine, the ones that aren't bent. At that price you
can afford to throw a few away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2010 8:21 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I have a ton of twist drills ranging from super high quality to junk.
The difference is awe inspiring. I have one set of brad point bits that
I bought for those times when I wanted super clean holes with pin point
accuracy. I bought a set and rarely use them because I don't need them
most of the time and I bought a cheap set of Sears, that look just like
the one you list up there, but I'm certain I didn't pay $40 for them.
(it was a while ago)

Whats wrong with them is 50% of the reason I bought them was super clean
holes... not so much. I recommend you get the Lee Valley bits for just
$3 more. I don't own them, but they advertise they are sharp, (they
resharpen them themselves) and stay sharp, and people that own them have
said they like them. I own the Sears, and would recommend Lee Valley.

I find your experience compelling! Thank you for sharing it! It appears
I should probably have two sets, one for hogging-out waste and one
"good" set.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2010 9:19 AM, Leon wrote:

If you are serious about a good set of brad poing pits, "Colt" Twinland "5
STAR" brad point bits. The larger sizes used in a DP do not need a backer
board to prevent tear out on the back side.
Pricey but these actually come sharp to start with and are made of HSS.

Colt makes a less expensive bit but the "5 Star" bits are the best.

I have several and love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGG9wCMLoc

That was quite informative about the topic. Thank you for posting.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Larry W) wrote:

In , wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality...

(You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Bill.)

I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks).

I"d almost bet they were made in China, just like the $1 bits.

I thought so too. But I took another look at the picture of the item.
Near the top of each bit it say "Germany". A family member wanted to
buy me something for Christmas, but I can't send them to Lee Valley.

You CERTAINLY don't want to send them to Searz. Ye Gods, man, have a
heart. Sure it wasn't "Made for Germany in China"?

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams

Posted to rec.woodworking

Those look superb! Price isn't bad, either. http://fwd4.me/r9g
http://fwd4.me/r9h although some places are gouging $70 for 'em.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:20:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Don't know if there's a Woodcraft near you but they usually have bits in
various quality ranges. I have a set of very good HSS bits that I use
for critical stuff. For run of the mill drilling I use cheap bits and
toss them when they get dull.

Woodcraft has some cheap bits in a set. Ten each of the smaller sizes
and 5 each of the larger sizes. About 25 cents a bit. They also carry
the Colt on the high end of the quality range. Pretty good combination.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2010 1:07 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:20:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Don't know if there's a Woodcraft near you but they usually have bits in
various quality ranges. I have a set of very good HSS bits that I use
for critical stuff. For run of the mill drilling I use cheap bits and
toss them when they get dull.

Woodcraft has some cheap bits in a set. Ten each of the smaller sizes
and 5 each of the larger sizes. About 25 cents a bit. They also carry
the Colt on the high end of the quality range. Pretty good combination.

Yep, I do have Woodcraft (as well as a Rockler) within 35 miles. I'll
take a look.

One thing I have learned from this thread is the need for 2 sets of
drill bits (cheap and good), and maybe even more if you want both long
and short shanked ones! I'll let me needs steer my drill bit collection.

If you want to talk about collections, I'll have to tell you about my
grandfather's nail collection some time. We surmised that he must have
bought a new bag of nails, half-full lunch sacks, for almost every task
that came up. it was sort of amusing as we'd encounter new
stashes.."Hey, you'll never guess what I found!".

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

.
Lee Valley is a partial exception to that. At least some of the Vertitas
stuff is made in house.

As for the brad boints, they state:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and
sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from
high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about
10 times as long as carbon steel bits.

Lee valley has ALL their stuff made for them, last I heard. They don't
have the forges etc required to manufacture the stuff. It will be made
for them, to their spec - not relabelled from someone else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

This seems like a good place to ask this newbe question:

It you bore a hole with a 7/32" brad point bit, is it reasonable to
expect to be able to tap a 1/4" dowel into it? I have to assume this is
why they make 7/32". Is the dowel generally chosen to be of soft wood
to accommodate this?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

I find your experience compelling! Thank you for sharing it! It appears I
should probably have two sets, one for hogging-out waste and one "good"
set.

Bill

No, once you find that the good set hogs out twice as fast, the cheap set
will probably never be used.

One of the data points in the Fine Woodworking test was how fast it could
drill and how fast. Major difference between the cheap and good ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take a look at these. I bought them years ago from Woodcraft and they
are excellent.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...oint-Bits.aspx

On 12/2/2010 9:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh and these
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...oint-Bits.aspx
are made in Germany too. At $19 and they are really good you can't go wrong.

On 12/2/2010 9:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...e-TiN-Coated-B...

And

if that's too many...

*At less than a quater each, average, they are likely high quality
Chinese bits. The TiN coating just makes them LOOK expensive *and/or
good.- Hide quoted text -

Cheap tools are chrome plated for the same reason, to
disguise cheap metal and poor finish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:19:34 -0600,
wrote:
If you are serious about a good set of brad poing pits, "Colt" Twinland "5
STAR" brad point bits. The larger sizes used in a DP do not need a backer
board to prevent tear out on the back side.
Pricey but these actually come sharp to start with and are made of HSS.

Colt makes a less expensive bit but the "5 Star" bits are the best.

I have several and love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGG9wCMLoc

Those look superb! Price isn't bad, either. http://fwd4.me/r9g
http://fwd4.me/r9h although some places are gouging $70 for 'em.

Ahem... You're perfectly aware, I presume, that those are not the Colt
Twinland Brad point bits from their "Five Star" collection. This may be
akin to comparing wine by Earnest and Julio Gallo with that of Chateau
Lafite Rothschild. I think I've seen posts from E and J in this forum!

Bill

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
Take a look at these. I bought them years ago from Woodcraft and they
are excellent.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...oint-Bits.aspx

Looks like a buy for $20 then!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 19:48:01 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:19:34 -0600,
wrote:
If you are serious about a good set of brad poing pits, "Colt" Twinland "5
STAR" brad point bits. The larger sizes used in a DP do not need a backer
board to prevent tear out on the back side.
Pricey but these actually come sharp to start with and are made of HSS.

Colt makes a less expensive bit but the "5 Star" bits are the best.

I have several and love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGG9wCMLoc

Those look superb! Price isn't bad, either. http://fwd4.me/r9g
http://fwd4.me/r9h although some places are gouging $70 for 'em.

Ahem... You're perfectly aware, I presume, that those are not the Colt
Twinland Brad point bits from their "Five Star" collection. This may be
akin to comparing wine by Earnest and Julio Gallo with that of Chateau
Lafite Rothschild. I think I've seen posts from E and J in this forum!

Well, they are Twinland and I could have sworn they were the 5-star,
too. I searched for Colt Twinland. Hmm...maybe I didn't search for
5-star. They're the $80 set. My bad.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Lee valley has ALL their stuff made for them, last I heard. They don't
have the forges etc required to manufacture the stuff. It will be made
for them, to their spec - not relabelled from someone else.

Define "made for them". Lee Valley does not manufacture, but they have a
division that does.
From the Lee Valley web site
Veritas® Tools (our research, development and manufacturing division)
continues to be one of the most innovative hand-tool design firms in the
world, producing unique and high-quality products.

Like every manufacturer, some parts are usually made by others. I've never
been to their facilities to see what they have and what they buy, but I'd
guess a mix. Companies that maker heaters or air conditioners buy motors.
GM buys tons of parts, etc. Veritas my be buying forgings.