Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist drill bits

I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits typically
Made in China?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits typically
Made in China?

Different purposes. Brad-point drills are great for minimizing tearout
in face grain. They're also easier to locate precisely due to the
center spur.

They can both be HSS, high carbon steel, carbide-tipped, or whatever
other material you want. They can be made wherever.

Lee Valley has very nice Made in USA twist drills in HSS. Their HSS
brad-points start out as these twist drills, then LV grinds a spur and
lips on them.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote:

I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the

differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood,

much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS?

Brad point = wood.

Twist = Other than wood; however, bits for plastic are plastic
specific.

Are all bits typically
Made in China?

The cheap crap is most likely from China.

If you want Fuller, both brad and twist, Jamestown Distributors has
them.

Lew