Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Brad point drill bits

On 12/2/2010 9:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Was looking for a set of decent brad point drill bits. I found this
Craftsman set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G2

I know not everyone speaks highly of Craftsman quality... I'm hoping
that since they are 6 for $40, there are quite good (3/8" shanks). I get
wary when I see bits for between a quarter and $2 each. I guess the main
issue might be "run out".

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

I have a ton of twist drills ranging from super high quality to junk.
The difference is awe inspiring. I have one set of brad point bits that
I bought for those times when I wanted super clean holes with pin point
accuracy. I bought a set and rarely use them because I don't need them
most of the time and I bought a cheap set of Sears, that look just like
the one you list up there, but I'm certain I didn't pay $40 for them.
(it was a while ago)

Whats wrong with them is 50% of the reason I bought them was super clean
holes... not so much. I recommend you get the Lee Valley bits for just
$3 more. I don't own them, but they advertise they are sharp, (they
resharpen them themselves) and stay sharp, and people that own them have
said they like them. I own the Sears, and would recommend Lee Valley.

I sharpen my own twist drills, not a clue how to sharpen brad points, so
get ones that are sharp and stay sharp, and only use them when needed.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com