Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Brad point drill bits

On 12/3/2010 1:07 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:20:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Where would you be shopping for brad point drill bits (for joinery)?

Don't know if there's a Woodcraft near you but they usually have bits in
various quality ranges. I have a set of very good HSS bits that I use
for critical stuff. For run of the mill drilling I use cheap bits and
toss them when they get dull.

Woodcraft has some cheap bits in a set. Ten each of the smaller sizes
and 5 each of the larger sizes. About 25 cents a bit. They also carry
the Colt on the high end of the quality range. Pretty good combination.

Yep, I do have Woodcraft (as well as a Rockler) within 35 miles. I'll
take a look.

One thing I have learned from this thread is the need for 2 sets of
drill bits (cheap and good), and maybe even more if you want both long
and short shanked ones! I'll let me needs steer my drill bit collection.

If you want to talk about collections, I'll have to tell you about my
grandfather's nail collection some time. We surmised that he must have
bought a new bag of nails, half-full lunch sacks, for almost every task
that came up. it was sort of amusing as we'd encounter new
stashes.."Hey, you'll never guess what I found!".

Bill