Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening Brad Point drill bits.

Does anyone have experience with sharpening brad point drill bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

There's a good article on sharpening all kinds of drill bits
in AWW Feb 2000 pg62.

Rick's Index to the rescue!

Art

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have experience with sharpening brad point drill bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking
max

I use a diamond hone. The ones I have are mounted on a plastic backing. I
file the flat, (on a chisel it would be the back) and then touch up the
bevel and they work really well.
max

Does anyone have experience with sharpening brad point drill bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 03:16:31 +0000, John B wrote:

I sharpen mine on standard grinder.

I think you posted these instructions a while ago. I wondered then, and
wonder now, are you touching up bradpoints with spurs? (I don't think so.)
Or are you grinding a twist drill to have a brad point and flat cutting
edge?

All of the bits have spurs. Your wheel has to have relatively sharp
corners. If you place a manufactured bit up against the corner of a
grinding wheel you will see how it's done.
It's hard to explain. I was shown how to do it while still an
apprentice. (When I had to walk 10 miles to and from school, up hill
both ways and sharing one shoe with my sister)
I'll take some photos if I remember, when the temperature drops below 40
and the shed stops being an oven.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 03:16:31 +0000, John B wrote:

I sharpen mine on standard grinder.

I think you posted these instructions a while ago. I wondered then, and
wonder now, are you touching up bradpoints with spurs? (I don't think so.)
Or are you grinding a twist drill to have a brad point and flat cutting
edge?

I have posted some pics on abpw if you would like to take a look.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Also, . . . Moto tool.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

If you can find Patrick Spielman's book on sharpening he shows how to
resharpen a regular twist drill into something that is close to a brad
point. It involves using the "corner" of the grinding wheel, i.e. the
side and circumference at the same time. I may have mispelled
Spielman, he is best known for scroll saw work.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 05:57:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, max
quickly quoth:

I use a diamond hone. The ones I have are mounted on a plastic backing. I
file the flat, (on a chisel it would be the back) and then touch up the
bevel and they work really well.
max

Please don't top post, Max.

Does anyone have experience with sharpening brad point drill bits?

Grizzly has a $6 diamond hone cone which works well if you don't have
one of Lee Valley's auger bit files. The diamond works on wee bits.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43089

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)