Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Sharpening Brad Point drill bits.

On 20 Dec 2005 16:03:48 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone have experience with sharpening brad point drill bits?

Yep, stick them in the Drill Doctor and convert them into commonplace
twist drills for drilling metal.

To sharpen a brad point you can either fool around with diamond
slipstones for ages, you can buy a _very_ expensive tool and cutter
grinder with a lot of different tiny stones, or you can go and buy some
new ones.

My old hand augers I lovingly sharpen by hand. My powered brad points
that I chuck around in a power drill I just use until I've broken or
lost them, then buy a new set. They're only drilling wood so I blunt
them very slowly, sets are cheaper then a handful of individuals, and I
can lose or snap them faster than I ever need to worry about really
sharpening them.