Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Default Sharpening Brad Point drill bits.

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 03:16:31 +0000, John B wrote:

I sharpen mine on standard grinder.

I think you posted these instructions a while ago. I wondered then, and
wonder now, are you touching up bradpoints with spurs? (I don't think so.)
Or are you grinding a twist drill to have a brad point and flat cutting
edge?

All of the bits have spurs. Your wheel has to have relatively sharp
corners. If you place a manufactured bit up against the corner of a
grinding wheel you will see how it's done.
It's hard to explain. I was shown how to do it while still an
apprentice. (When I had to walk 10 miles to and from school, up hill
both ways and sharing one shoe with my sister)
I'll take some photos if I remember, when the temperature drops below 40
and the shed stops being an oven.
regards
John