Conan The Librarian

Default What is Living Trade?

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...

SNIP
Thanks for the info. I live in a fly fishing area but do not fish
myself. The tables could be an additional outlet for me. Will look at
the sites and get some inspiration g

Just curious ... what area do you live in? I'm always looking for
new places to travel to see interesting scenery and fish.

Anyhow, enjoy the site. They do some nice work (even if it's
probably too flashy for Larry's taste). :-)

Chuck Vance
Conan the Librarian

D. A. Clark wrote:

Geez, Chuckie, ya sound like the effeminate little decorator ya
are...taking credit for inherent color and grain as if you had created
it. That ain't working wood, ya little ****ant.

Go away trollboy ... there are grownups here who want to talk about
woodworking.

Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques

On 12 May 2004 05:00:09 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:25:09 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

Think SHEEPY, sir.

As in "black sheep"?

Bingo, after only HOW MANY tries?

You really should see a doctor about that vertigo of yours, Lar.

Vertigo, hell. That's pineygo, plain and simple, son.

I was thinking about getting some of that ply that's specifically
made for bending. One of my long-term projects is to make an Aztec
calendar out of wood, and I'm trying to figure how to make a circular
frame. I'm thinking that ply might be the only way I can accomplish
that.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing
pole for garden stakes? ;-)

No, and as a matter of fact, I took a day off last week and went up
the Rogue to Lost Creek Dam. Check your email box for pics of crazy
fishermen standing in the rapids, Butte Falls, and an earthen dam.
I just may get a fishing license this year and give 'er a go.

Oustanding pics, thanks. A couple of observations: That
fisherperson isn't just crazy, he's totally insane. Then again, when
we were in Moontana last year I saw some guys wading faster water than

I didn't see any backup, either. (Y'know, a guy with an Marlin
rig and a line to the back of the fisherman.)

that. So that madrone was 9' in circumference?! Haysoos cristo,

NO, it was closer to 30', but the front limb was 9' in circ.
Note the diminutive car in the foreground for scale.

you'd need a big chainsaw for that guy. ;-) You mentioned a
hatchery; I would have expected that to be a mostly wild fishery
there. Do they just grow rainbows or brown trout to supplement the
natives?

Mostly steelhead and salmon but trout are included in the 85 species.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/...cheryFacts.pdf
Amazing, wot?

So I'm starting to see why you moved up into the rainforest. If
you can keep the moss from growing on you I guess it's a nice place to
live.

I'm south of the rainforest. We average just 32"/yr here in the Rogue
Valley, while the coast gets 100"+. Washington's Olympia rainforest
gets 140"+. And for the most part, our rainfall here is light when it
does hit, with sunshine for part of the day (before or afterward.)

Neener: you don't have a redwood tree in your back yard like I do.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Patrick Olguin

(D. A. Clark) aiming up a rope, excreted:

Geez, Chuckie, ya sound like the effeminate little decorator ya
are...taking credit for inherent color and grain as if you had created
it. That ain't working wood, ya little ****ant.

It's been my observation that one of the least understood, it seems,
and least discussed topics in woodworking is the design aesthetic.
This has led, according to my set of biases, prejudices and
sensibilities, to a great number of pieces - perfectly executed in
joinery, form and function - yet outright abortions when it comes to
final presentation of the hallowed medium: wood.

In the Chuckmeister's post [deleted per Usenet FAQ], he doesn't claim
credit for the wood's inherent color and grain, but is merely pleased
that a couple other folks are appreciative of some thoughtful use of
the wood's grain/color. Do you have a reading comprehension problem,
DAC, or is this a deeper issue? In addition, you apparently you find
the consideration of grain/color matching (I prefer to think of it as
finding complementary, as the grain rarely matches unless it is
bookmatched, and in Chuck's case he was looking for a pleasing
contrast) to be effeminate behavior, worthy of derision. Interesting.
First your remarks about panty lace, and now when Chuck conducts a
basic exploration in design, grain, color and balance in a project
(regardless of its perceived loftiness), he's dismissed as a
****ant... an effeminate little decorator.

Whyn't ya come right out and call him a faggit?

My my my, what a strong, burly, worldly tradesman you are. Do you
really know anything about what a designer's resume' is like? I do,
I'm married to one. She's a restaurant designer, quite feminine and
frankly - ****ing brilliant. Off the top of her head, she knows the
working properties of every laminate and substrate out there (Keeter,
stay away... I can see you getting turned on, you little Formica
junkie), including what can span which distance and why. She hand
draws shop drawings, joinery detail, outlets, soffets, lighting,
wiring, plumbing, elevations, spacing, ducting, crown moulding, and so
on... all while knowing the difference between lavender, periwinkle
and lilac and at the same time laughing at anyone who'd put artwork of
Pollack and Monet in the same room.

Suddenly effeminite little decorator is pretty damned hip, eh?

I am amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge my own little
effeminate decorator possesses, who without any prompting knew
precisely the difference between dado, rabbet, moving fillester, side
bead, center bead, hollow, round, sash and coping planes, and why they
had to work the way they did. There's just no stopping those
intuitive feminine types when they've got a little eddyfication and
experience.

Trouble is (for you), a person doesn't have to have a nice rack, or be
a flaming queer to possess an eye for design. Tough **** if that
doesn't fit into your homophobic paradigm.

And therefore, when I read of a woodworker, pal or not, discussing the
vagaries of design, color, balance and grain - regardless of the
judged complexity of the piece - I manage to fight through what
obviously got the best of you, namely: that knee jerk schoolyard
proclivity to label him a sissy-boy and run back to the fort in the
middle of the field, to light farts or burn ants with a magnifying
glass or whatever it was you found entertaining as a youth.

Your pseudo-intellectual, bloated Usenet thesaurasizing doesn't fool
anyone, DAC. Well, it doesn't fool me. To you, the mere thought of
embracing some sort of sensitivity (or hell, even a basic education)
when it comes to wood selection, grain coordination/orientation (yes,
I said orientation), color, and so on, sends your alligator-mouthed,
hummingbird-assed faux persona screaming to the not-quite-full deck of
latent homosexual playing cards. That's gotta be a tough way to live.
Feel free to deal us out, Bubba, ya little Pomeranianesque
ankle-biter.

So, Chuck, if you're anything like the little effeminite decorator I
know, at least in your efforts to conceive and execute a functional,
aesthetically sound design, then you are a (sensitive) man among men.
Now where the hell's that mesquite? ;o)

O'Deen
Tom Watson

On 12 May 2004 09:44:48 -0700, (Patrick Olguin)
wrote:

intersniporama throughout

This has led, according to my set of biases, prejudices and
sensibilities, to a great number of pieces - perfectly executed in
joinery, form and function - yet outright abortions when it comes to
final presentation of the hallowed medium: wood.

I'm thinkin' they call that "Art Furniture".

Interesting.
First your remarks about panty lace, and now when Chuck conducts a
basic exploration in design, grain, color and balance in a project
(regardless of its perceived loftiness), he's dismissed as a
****ant... an effeminate little decorator.

Whyn't ya come right out and call him a faggit?

I'm not a hunnert percent perzactly sure, but this guy might not even
be the original DA guy - his current way of expressing hisself don't
jive with what I've read of his in the past.

'Course - brain tumors and such can wreak substantial havoc in the
area of personality and its expression. Ya know, the whole cognitive
dissonance thing - kinda like what can be induced by too close a
proximity to certain B-Flatulent instruments (I'm thinkin' slush pumps
here - so rest easy big stallion.)

I'm married to one. She's a restaurant designer, quite feminine and
frankly - ****ing brilliant.

Yabutt - she's really cute, too - and that takes precedence.

Off the top of her head, she knows the
working properties of every laminate and substrate out there (Keeter,
stay away... I can see you getting turned on, you little Formica
junkie),

Now you gone ane dunnit. That boy'll be up all night thinkin' 'bout
roll laminating and bending properties.

all while knowing the difference between lavender, periwinkle
and lilac and at the same time laughing at anyone who'd put artwork of
Pollack and Monet in the same room.

I once painted a room with a couple of original JP paintings in it. I
started looking at my old drop cloths like they might be worth money
someday.

I am amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge my own little
effeminate decorator possesses, who without any prompting knew
precisely the difference between dado, rabbet, moving fillester, side
bead, center bead, hollow, round, sash and coping planes, and why they
had to work the way they did. There's just no stopping those
intuitive feminine types when they've got a little eddyfication and
experience.

Yabutt she's really cute, too and ...(I guess we already covered
that).

Trouble is (for you), a person doesn't have to have a nice rack,

Doesn't make you a bad person.

or be
a flaming queer

And neither does that.

to possess an eye for design. Tough **** if that
doesn't fit into your homophobic paradigm.

Yeah, this is why I'm thinkin' this might not be DA but some sorta
homophobic monkey assed troll. If he starts after Boy Dave, we'll
know fer sure.

And therefore, when I read of a woodworker, pal or not, discussing the
vagaries of design, color, balance and grain - regardless of the
judged complexity of the piece - I manage to fight through what
obviously got the best of you, namely: that knee jerk schoolyard
proclivity to label him a sissy-boy

We were in favor of the term, "Ya big Mary".

and run back to the fort in the
middle of the field, to light farts

Demonstrating scientific principles involved in the potiential use of
the stored energy of the hominid biomass is a more or less decent use
of your time - and can be damned entertaining in a darkened
environment.

Your pseudo-intellectual, bloated Usenet thesaurasizing doesn't fool
anyone, DAC. Well, it doesn't fool me. To you, the mere thought of
embracing some sort of sensitivity (or hell, even a basic education)
when it comes to wood selection, grain coordination/orientation (yes,
I said orientation), color, and so on, sends your alligator-mouthed,
hummingbird-assed faux persona screaming to the not-quite-full deck of
latent homosexual playing cards. That's gotta be a tough way to live.
Feel free to deal us out, Bubba, ya little Pomeranianesque
ankle-biter.

Well **** - that one hit the high C - shattered all the glasses - and
made the dogs howl. That were a good'un O'Deener.

So, Chuck, if you're anything like the little effeminite decorator I
know, at least in your efforts to conceive and execute a functional,
aesthetically sound design, then you are a (sensitive) man among men.
Now where the hell's that mesquite? ;o)

To get serious for only the briefest of moments - wooddorking is an
aesthetic act. If you ain't got an appreciation for mass, scale,
balance, figure, color, proportion, line, etc. - ya better get yaself
some - or else start a collection of them little Ikea allen wrenches.

O'Deen

Nicely done rant, O'Deen.

(watson - who is hoping that ole DA don't really have a brain tumor or
nuthin.)

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Phil Hansen

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...

Just curious ... what area do you live in? I'm always looking for
new places to travel to see interesting scenery and fish.

Live in a rural village (Rosetta) in the KZN Midlands in South Africa.
Great fishing area. When are you coming G

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Greg Millen

I was thinking the same on the fake DA bit. His original email was different
and his moniker was "DA Clarke" not "D.A. Clarke", a similar trick employed
by our poopy-panted friend and MITD.

I won't believe it's him until he claims to be hisself...

Mind you, it's a good thing to see Chuck hoist his skirts and fire back,
with O'Neener in fine fettle too.

--
Greg

Conan the Librarian

Tom Watson wrote:

I'm not a hunnert percent perzactly sure, but this guy might not even
be the original DA guy - his current way of expressing hisself don't
jive with what I've read of his in the past.

You know, I was thinking this very thing after I responded to his
post. Either that, or it was a fine example of why friends shouldn't
let friends post drunk on Usenet.

Well **** - that one hit the high C - shattered all the glasses - and
made the dogs howl. That were a good'un O'Deener.

One of the best I've read in a long time. Superb and selective
wielding of the Hammuh.

So, Chuck, if you're anything like the little effeminite decorator I
know, at least in your efforts to conceive and execute a functional,
aesthetically sound design, then you are a (sensitive) man among men.
Now where the hell's that mesquite? ;o)

To get serious for only the briefest of moments - wooddorking is an
aesthetic act. If you ain't got an appreciation for mass, scale,
balance, figure, color, proportion, line, etc. - ya better get yaself
some - or else start a collection of them little Ikea allen wrenches.

That was one of the reasons I started to doubt that it really was
D.A. Besides the language, D.A.'s whole purpose for appearing on the
wreck seems to be centered around his search for the "living trade", and
you would think that would involve concepts like you mention above. It
seems out of place for him to trivialize them in some sort of homophobic
rant.

Chuck Vance
Conan the Librarian

Greg Millen wrote:

I was thinking the same on the fake DA bit. His original email was different
and his moniker was "DA Clarke" not "D.A. Clarke", a similar trick employed
by our poopy-panted friend and MITD.

I won't believe it's him until he claims to be hisself...

Mind you, it's a good thing to see Chuck hoist his skirts and fire back,
with O'Neener in fine fettle too.

Heh. Yeah, when someone calls my manhood into question, they'd
better be prepared to be bitch-slapped into submission.

Charlene Vance

Conan the Librarian

Phil Hansen wrote:

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...

Just curious ... what area do you live in? I'm always looking for
new places to travel to see interesting scenery and fish.

Live in a rural village (Rosetta) in the KZN Midlands in South Africa.
Great fishing area. When are you coming G

I'll have to check with SWMBO. (She's my travel agent.) She's got
us booked for the Crowsnest Pass (Canuckistan) in July, and probably San
Miguel de Allende (Mexico) later in the year. After that I know she
wants to see Australia and New Zealand (so do I .... supposed to be
outstanding trout fishing in NZ).

So maybe next year some time? :-)

Chuck Vance

Conan the Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 12 May 2004 05:00:09 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

As in "black sheep"?

Bingo, after only HOW MANY tries?

OK, so I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. :-)

You really should see a doctor about that vertigo of yours, Lar.

Vertigo, hell. That's pineygo, plain and simple, son.

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a
prejudice against a particular wood. (Well, except for O'Deener and
zebrawood, but that's another story.) Pine has a long and noble history
in furniture-making and building.

Oustanding pics, thanks. A couple of observations: That
fisherperson isn't just crazy, he's totally insane. Then again, when
we were in Moontana last year I saw some guys wading faster water than

I didn't see any backup, either. (Y'know, a guy with an Marlin
rig and a line to the back of the fisherman.)

From the looks of the current, I doubt that would help much. :-o

You mentioned a
hatchery; I would have expected that to be a mostly wild fishery
there. Do they just grow rainbows or brown trout to supplement the
natives?

Mostly steelhead and salmon but trout are included in the 85 species.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/...cheryFacts.pdf
Amazing, wot?

Interesting. So they raise and plant fish to benefit commercial
fisheries as well as sportfishing? I'd be curious to see what sorts of
policies they have on harvesting these fish. Catch and release doesn't
really seem to jive with commercial harvesting.

So I'm starting to see why you moved up into the rainforest. If
you can keep the moss from growing on you I guess it's a nice place to
live.

I'm south of the rainforest. We average just 32"/yr here in the Rogue
Valley, while the coast gets 100"+. Washington's Olympia rainforest
gets 140"+. And for the most part, our rainfall here is light when it
does hit, with sunshine for part of the day (before or afterward.)

Ah, so you don't need gills to live there?

Neener: you don't have a redwood tree in your back yard like I do.

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.

Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:08:44 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

Phil Hansen wrote:

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...

Just curious ... what area do you live in? I'm always looking for
new places to travel to see interesting scenery and fish.

Live in a rural village (Rosetta) in the KZN Midlands in South Africa.
Great fishing area. When are you coming G

Do the fish bite back, Phil, or is that only in the Amazon?
(in the other SA)

I'll have to check with SWMBO. (She's my travel agent.) She's got
us booked for the Crowsnest Pass (Canuckistan) in July, and probably San
Miguel de Allende (Mexico) later in the year. After that I know she
wants to see Australia and New Zealand (so do I .... supposed to be
outstanding trout fishing in NZ).

Give big, sloppy kisses to Xena, Gabrielle, and Callisto for me
when you get to NZ, will ya, Conan? They're sure to love your
handle. (No, I meant "nickname".)

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:25:22 -0500, Conan the Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 12 May 2004 05:00:09 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

As in "black sheep"?

Bingo, after only HOW MANY tries?

OK, so I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. :-)

So ScaryGingko(tmLJ) it, eh?

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a
prejudice against a particular wood. (Well, except for O'Deener and
zebrawood, but that's another story.)

Pine has a long and noble history
in furniture-making and building.

My prejudice is from several things. First, it being so cheap, so
many dumb things being made from it. Pukey ducks, bird houses, etc.
Second, I lived in a house with badly stained (naughty) pine in it
for 26 years and never did pull up the carpet and strip/refinish it.
You know how it goes. A bad stain job lives forever (until paint).
(I'd like to hamstring the person who "finished" the interior of my
last house. He may have puked into the shellac before applying it.)

From the looks of the current, I doubt that would help much. :-o

He was in the slower stream, too. About 10' further and he would have
been in 25mph faster rapids.

You mentioned a
hatchery; I would have expected that to be a mostly wild fishery
there. Do they just grow rainbows or brown trout to supplement the
natives?

Mostly steelhead and salmon but trout are included in the 85 species.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/...cheryFacts.pdf
Amazing, wot?

Interesting. So they raise and plant fish to benefit commercial
fisheries as well as sportfishing? I'd be curious to see what sorts of
policies they have on harvesting these fish. Catch and release doesn't
really seem to jive with commercial harvesting.

Salmon are overfished/endangered, so farming is necessary. BTW, there
is no fishing permitted within the hatcheries, so forget about it.
(No C&R either.)

Ah, so you don't need gills to live there?

No, it's like a chillier, less-smoggy, friendlier, less-crowded LoCal.
Summers get to 100F (with nice, cool nights.) There is no rain for 5+
months, just like LoCal. Winters are colder and wetter, down to 20F
(with m+aybe an inch or two of shortlived snow) but not bad. I've
almost adjusted to it now, after only 2 years here.

Neener: you don't have a redwood tree in your back yard like I do.

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.

Are you as adverse to cutting them as I am mine? All i had in LoCal
were poplars which I had planted myself. No, I take that back. I
sorely miss my old pepper tree which graced the northeast corner of
the lot. Beautiful! I don't think they grow up here but I really
should check with the local Master Gardener's extension. My tree
wasn't quite as large or full as this one, but close.
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...nus_molle.html

Thanks for reminding me.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote:
Vertigo, hell. That's pineygo, plain and simple, son.

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a
prejudice against a particular wood.

I just get plain -dizzy- seeing that particular striping in your
vertical-grained benchtop, that's all. It may be a side-effect
of my astigmatism. Houndstooth and small checkerboard patterns do
the same thing to me, but I can climb into the rigging of a moving
schooner without any trouble. No vertigo.

(Well, except for O'Deener and zebrawood, but that's another story.)

Doesn't he also have an aversion to workmuttwood?

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Patrick Olguin

Tom Watson keyed:
To get serious for only the briefest of moments - wooddorking is an
aesthetic act. If you ain't got an appreciation for mass, scale,
balance, figure, color, proportion, line, etc. - ya better get yaself
some - or else start a collection of them little Ikea allen wrenches.

I knew better than to be enjoying a beverage when I pulled up this
post, and here's the evidence.

Little pearls like this are what LJ misses when he exercises his
God-given right to plonk anyone who engages in significant Bee Aye Dee
baiting. His loss.

'Course, he might see it now ;o).

O'Deen

Phil Hansen

In article , Larry Jaques
says...
Do the fish bite back, Phil, or is that only in the Amazon?
(in the other SA)

No, you will not loose your fingers. The tiger fish further north in
Zimbabwe are a lot more aggressive with serious teeth and a good fighter
on the line. (so I'm told G)
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Patrick Olguin

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...
still obsessing over me, P.O.?

Actually no, you top-posting idjit. Reread these two sentences. They
refer to LJ losing out on interesting stuff when he plonks people who
respond to you.

Little pearls like this are what LJ misses when he exercises his
God-given right to plonk anyone who engages in significant Bee Aye Dee
baiting. His loss.

See? I'm suggesting that LJ misses out when he plonks. You're free to
**** off now. Thanks.

O'Deen
Conan The Librarian

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...

No, you will not loose your fingers. The tiger fish further north in
Zimbabwe are a lot more aggressive with serious teeth and a good fighter
on the line. (so I'm told G)

Those are some scary-looking fish:
http://www.frontierstrvl.com/pages/f...nxamaseri.html

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) I think I'll stick to something less frightening
.... like piranhas.

Conan The Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:25:22 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a
prejudice against a particular wood.

I just get plain -dizzy- seeing that particular striping in your
vertical-grained benchtop, that's all. It may be a side-effect
of my astigmatism. Houndstooth and small checkerboard patterns do
the same thing to me,

Sounds like a residual problem from too many pharmaceuticals in the
60's.

(Well, except for O'Deener and zebrawood, but that's another story.)

Doesn't he also have an aversion to workmuttwood?

He seems to be able to saw right through it, no problem.

Pine has a long and noble history
in furniture-making and building.

My prejudice is from several things. First, it being so cheap, so
many dumb things being made from it. Pukey ducks, bird houses, etc.
Second, I lived in a house with badly stained (naughty) pine in it
for 26 years and never did pull up the carpet and strip/refinish it.
You know how it goes. A bad stain job lives forever (until paint).
(I'd like to hamstring the person who "finished" the interior of my
last house. He may have puked into the shellac before applying it.)

Sounds like you're blaming the wood for the idjits who don't know
how to use it properly. :-)

Interesting. So they raise and plant fish to benefit commercial
fisheries as well as sportfishing? I'd be curious to see what sorts of
policies they have on harvesting these fish. Catch and release doesn't
really seem to jive with commercial harvesting.

Salmon are overfished/endangered, so farming is necessary. BTW, there
is no fishing permitted within the hatcheries, so forget about it.
(No C&R either.)

Heh. I'm not much on shooting fish in a barrel, thanks.

As an aside, one result of all the stocking of hatchery fish has
been that ingenious anglers have come up with a special fly for
catching those guys. It's called the Purina fly. Looks just like a
little brown pellet.

Ah, so you don't need gills to live there?

No, it's like a chillier, less-smoggy, friendlier, less-crowded LoCal.
Summers get to 100F (with nice, cool nights.) There is no rain for 5+
months, just like LoCal. Winters are colder and wetter, down to 20F
(with m+aybe an inch or two of shortlived snow) but not bad. I've
almost adjusted to it now, after only 2 years here.

Sounds awfully nice to me. (Of course here we get 6 months of
90-100 degrees with humidity in the same range.)

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.

Are you as adverse to cutting them as I am mine? All i had in LoCal
were poplars which I had planted myself. No, I take that back. I
sorely miss my old pepper tree which graced the northeast corner of
the lot. Beautiful! I don't think they grow up here but I really
should check with the local Master Gardener's extension. My tree
wasn't quite as large or full as this one, but close.
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...nus_molle.html

We saw lots of big ones down in the area around San Miguel de
Allende. At first glance they looked like mesquites or huizaches
(because of the foliage), but they had a totally different seedpod.

As for cutting trees on my land -- no way, unless the tree became
diseased. But I am not averse to harvesting wood from others who
bring down trees on their land: http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/logs2.jpg

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) *meeep* *meeeep*
Larry Jaques

On 14 May 2004 05:01:19 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...

No, you will not loose your fingers. The tiger fish further north in
Zimbabwe are a lot more aggressive with serious teeth and a good fighter
on the line. (so I'm told G)

Those are some scary-looking fish:
http://www.frontierstrvl.com/pages/f...nxamaseri.html

Ooh, dem teefs be scary alright. Here were the fish I referred to on
the other SA. http://www.scz.org/animals/p/piranha.html
I don't think you want to fish for these, Chuck.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Larry Jaques

On 14 May 2004 05:27:43 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Sounds like a residual problem from too many pharmaceuticals in the
60's.

Nah, I stuck to alcoholism instead. I was much better at it and
it was cheaper.

(Well, except for O'Deener and zebrawood, but that's another story.)

Doesn't he also have an aversion to workmuttwood?

He seems to be able to saw right through it, no problem.

Sounds like you're blaming the wood for the idjits who don't know
how to use it properly. :-)

OK, add that it is too soft, splits easily, and has too many knots.
The smell gets old after awhile, too.

Sounds awfully nice to me. (Of course here we get 6 months of
90-100 degrees with humidity in the same range.)

We keep our hummerditty LOW here, thanks. Despite the rain, the
moisture is lower here than in LoCal. I am still needing to break
out the chapstick several times a year up here.

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.

Are you as adverse to cutting them as I am mine? All i had in LoCal

Hey, who put that "d" in "averse" there? Why, I oughta...

We saw lots of big ones down in the area around San Miguel de
Allende. At first glance they looked like mesquites or huizaches
(because of the foliage), but they had a totally different seedpod.

I called it a West Coast Willow. Ants loved 'em.

As for cutting trees on my land -- no way, unless the tree became
diseased. But I am not averse to harvesting wood from others who

So it wasn't you who added that "d", was it?

bring down trees on their land:
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/logs2.jpg

Just say (tmPL) *meeep* *meeeep*

Huh? a -firewood- gloat? Hmmm...

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Bay Area Dave

since you can't think of anything of substance to complain
about, you bring up that I am a top poster?? That's about as
lame a complaint as I've seen...next you'll be complaining
if I end a question with more than one question mark. YOU
are the idiot here, you lame moron. There. I feel better
now!

Bite me!

I feel even BETTER!

DAVE

Patrick Olguin wrote:
Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...

still obsessing over me, P.O.?

Actually no, you top-posting idjit. Reread these two sentences. They
refer to LJ losing out on interesting stuff when he plonks people who
respond to you.

Little pearls like this are what LJ misses when he exercises his
God-given right to plonk anyone who engages in significant Bee Aye Dee
baiting. His loss.

See? I'm suggesting that LJ misses out when he plonks. You're free to
**** off now. Thanks.

O'Deen

Bay Area Dave

that explains a lot...

I know, I know, larry has me plonked, but I couldn't resist.

dave

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nah, I stuck to alcoholism instead. I was much better at it and
it was cheaper.

Phil Hansen

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...
Just say (tmPL) I think I'll stick to something less frightening
... like piranhas.

Try these links for a bit more info on the area and whats available

nottingham.kzn.org.za/nottingham/

www.drakensberg-tourism.com/nottingham-road.html

www.sa-venues.com/kzn/thebend.htm

http://www.sa-venues.com/accommodati...inghamroad.htm

http://www.roomsforafrica.com/dest/s...tingham_road.j
sp (watch wrap)

www.safarinow.com/Destinations/Nottingham-Road/

Nice brewery
Cheers

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Tom Watson

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:00:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Thanks for sharing the plonkee's pearls. I do miss them, but
the price for seeing them is just too high. FWIW, I plonked
another poster eons ago because I got too tired seeing the rant
about "Partial Birth Abortions" every couple dozen messages.
Then there was Joe Woody Peckerhead. KnowwhatImean,Vern?
Life's too short.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.” (Edmund Burke)

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
D. A. Clark

I believe the question was...What is Living Trade?
Only two respondents have made an effort to answer with any
perspicacity, and they did well. So, what does that make the rest of
you?
daclark

Andrew Barss

D. A. Clark wrote:
: I believe the question was...What is Living Trade?
: Only two respondents have made an effort to answer with any
: perspicacity, and they did well. So, what does that make the rest of
: you?

People who understand that "living trade" is an odd, and incoherent,
collocation of words.

Where on earth did you find the term "living trade"? It appears in no
English discussion of the trades for the last several hundred years.

-- Andy Barss

D. A. Clark

Andrew Barss wrote in message:
People who understand that "living trade" is an odd, and incoherent,
collocation of words.

Is that so, professor? But, would you not use the term 'living trust'
and expect to be understood? Have you read the posted premises, or
are you merely shaking your willy, as if I'd misspelled a single word?
Perhaps, you should not count yourself amongst the people who
understand.

Where on earth did you find the term "living trade"? It appears in no
English discussion of the trades for the last several hundred years.

You make me laugh...yeah, I polled the search engines, too. Just
because some computer twit hasn't assigned importance to the subject,
that must mean it doesn't exist, right? And, heaven forbid, that a
man might have original thought...but then, even Chippendale was only
a plagarist. So, pardon me, if I don't believe you to be the last
authority with your suppositions.
Working wood or working words, no man is the master, we are
apprentices all of our lives. If the uninterested and vain would only
stop wasting space in this thread, we all might learn something.
That is why I was here...
daclark
D. A. Clark

Knowledge and understanding is always scoffed at...by those who have none.

On 16 May 2004 10:42:12 -0700, (D. A. Clark)
wrote:

wrote in message
so if I understand the issues correctly, you really are a troll.

He who posts off-topic is the troll, that would be most of you.

as I see it, you started a thread that was almost, but not quite
completely off topic, framed it in such a way as to ensure few would
figure WTF the question was, defined terms in such a way as to
obfuscate the point and jumped on anybody who pointed this out.

looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks....

It is nice that Larry has bought himself some wood for a personal
project, but that is not the topic. On the other hand, in visiting
his website, I find a short dissertation of his personal feelings
while working wood, and that would be part of the philosophy and
psychology of living trade.
Working wood evokes emotion, from the murky depths as Larry would say,
of a man's being. Yet, that is not the whole story either, but
rather, just tip to the iceberg. There are global implications to
what most of you treat as mere hobby, spending countless hours and
dollars for very little result.

why does anyone do anything?

Answer this, if you have any understanding...what could be the
underlying purpose of man's emotional response?

it's a part of being social mammals. it's about communication, on a
level somewhere a bit deeper than language. it keeps us from killing
and eating our young, which is a good thing for social mammals. it's
wired in deep, man, so deep that it's really difficult to analyze what
it is and why it's there, especially using cognitive functions that
are "higher" than emotional response...

it's also WAAAAY off topic for this forum.....

Why do men work wood,
whether they are paid to do so or not?
daclark

the working of wood is one of our base technologies. like weaving,
cooking food and making maps it is something that must be developed in
order to build a complex civilization. why do we do that? beats me,
but we sure do...

being a base technology, we will return to it time and again. it sits
there in our subconscious and feeds our minds principles and metaphors
that show up in diverse and seemingly unrelated endeavors. while we
are not without alternatives to wood for materials with which to
construct the acouterments of this complex civilization that we have
built for ourselves, wood appeals to us on a number of levels. it's a
material used by our ancestors, and humans are nothing if not suckers
for sentimentality. it's also a pretty good material for lots of
things. it has a sweet strength to weight ratio. it has failure modes
that are fairly predictable. coming from a living thing it gives us a
connection to nature. it's easily worked with fairly simple tools.

people like making things. we're just wired that way. it comes from
walking upright and having hands with opposable thumbs. we do it for
pay because there exists considerable demand for things made by people
with specific skills. such is the nature of complex civilizations. we
do it for recreation because whatever we do for pay provides
insufficient stimulation to that part of our psyches that runs on the
principles and metaphors of woodworking.

in short, we can't help it.
Greg Millen

Is it the right time to poll for a splinter group of
rec.woodworking.philosophy? (d&r)

Back in the days of Paully Rad doffs hat fillyscoffical chats were de
rigueur; design, trade, the golden section/mean/string, Fibonacci ratios and
Roman design influences were not uncommon. Generally, we welcome any
discussion that *adds* to the understanding of our hobby. Certainly most
prefer it to some of the wildly off-beat topics that creep in from time to
time, and highbrow discussions are great - provided they are not conducted
in a monobrow manner.

--
Greg

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message ...
snip
In short, we're a bit like any gathering of guys at a bar or party.
And your entrance into the group is similar to someone barging into
the middle of a party uninvited and hollering, "hey, look at me ...
I'm smarter than you, and I don't care what you're talking about, you
should all discuss what interests me".

Now given that scenario, what kind of response would you really
expect?

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) HTH.