Patrick Olguin

Default What is Living Trade?

(D. A. Clark) aiming up a rope, excreted:

Geez, Chuckie, ya sound like the effeminate little decorator ya
are...taking credit for inherent color and grain as if you had created
it. That ain't working wood, ya little ****ant.

It's been my observation that one of the least understood, it seems,
and least discussed topics in woodworking is the design aesthetic.
This has led, according to my set of biases, prejudices and
sensibilities, to a great number of pieces - perfectly executed in
joinery, form and function - yet outright abortions when it comes to
final presentation of the hallowed medium: wood.

In the Chuckmeister's post [deleted per Usenet FAQ], he doesn't claim
credit for the wood's inherent color and grain, but is merely pleased
that a couple other folks are appreciative of some thoughtful use of
the wood's grain/color. Do you have a reading comprehension problem,
DAC, or is this a deeper issue? In addition, you apparently you find
the consideration of grain/color matching (I prefer to think of it as
finding complementary, as the grain rarely matches unless it is
bookmatched, and in Chuck's case he was looking for a pleasing
contrast) to be effeminate behavior, worthy of derision. Interesting.
First your remarks about panty lace, and now when Chuck conducts a
basic exploration in design, grain, color and balance in a project
(regardless of its perceived loftiness), he's dismissed as a
****ant... an effeminate little decorator.

Whyn't ya come right out and call him a faggit?

My my my, what a strong, burly, worldly tradesman you are. Do you
really know anything about what a designer's resume' is like? I do,
I'm married to one. She's a restaurant designer, quite feminine and
frankly - ****ing brilliant. Off the top of her head, she knows the
working properties of every laminate and substrate out there (Keeter,
stay away... I can see you getting turned on, you little Formica
junkie), including what can span which distance and why. She hand
draws shop drawings, joinery detail, outlets, soffets, lighting,
wiring, plumbing, elevations, spacing, ducting, crown moulding, and so
on... all while knowing the difference between lavender, periwinkle
and lilac and at the same time laughing at anyone who'd put artwork of
Pollack and Monet in the same room.

Suddenly effeminite little decorator is pretty damned hip, eh?

I am amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge my own little
effeminate decorator possesses, who without any prompting knew
precisely the difference between dado, rabbet, moving fillester, side
bead, center bead, hollow, round, sash and coping planes, and why they
had to work the way they did. There's just no stopping those
intuitive feminine types when they've got a little eddyfication and
experience.

Trouble is (for you), a person doesn't have to have a nice rack, or be
a flaming queer to possess an eye for design. Tough **** if that
doesn't fit into your homophobic paradigm.

And therefore, when I read of a woodworker, pal or not, discussing the
vagaries of design, color, balance and grain - regardless of the
judged complexity of the piece - I manage to fight through what
obviously got the best of you, namely: that knee jerk schoolyard
proclivity to label him a sissy-boy and run back to the fort in the
middle of the field, to light farts or burn ants with a magnifying
glass or whatever it was you found entertaining as a youth.

Your pseudo-intellectual, bloated Usenet thesaurasizing doesn't fool
anyone, DAC. Well, it doesn't fool me. To you, the mere thought of
embracing some sort of sensitivity (or hell, even a basic education)
when it comes to wood selection, grain coordination/orientation (yes,
I said orientation), color, and so on, sends your alligator-mouthed,
hummingbird-assed faux persona screaming to the not-quite-full deck of
latent homosexual playing cards. That's gotta be a tough way to live.
Feel free to deal us out, Bubba, ya little Pomeranianesque
ankle-biter.

So, Chuck, if you're anything like the little effeminite decorator I
know, at least in your efforts to conceive and execute a functional,
aesthetically sound design, then you are a (sensitive) man among men.
Now where the hell's that mesquite? ;o)

O'Deen