Conan The Librarian

Default What is Living Trade?

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:25:22 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a
prejudice against a particular wood.

I just get plain -dizzy- seeing that particular striping in your
vertical-grained benchtop, that's all. It may be a side-effect
of my astigmatism. Houndstooth and small checkerboard patterns do
the same thing to me,

Sounds like a residual problem from too many pharmaceuticals in the
60's.

(Well, except for O'Deener and zebrawood, but that's another story.)

Doesn't he also have an aversion to workmuttwood?

He seems to be able to saw right through it, no problem.

Pine has a long and noble history
in furniture-making and building.

My prejudice is from several things. First, it being so cheap, so
many dumb things being made from it. Pukey ducks, bird houses, etc.
Second, I lived in a house with badly stained (naughty) pine in it
for 26 years and never did pull up the carpet and strip/refinish it.
You know how it goes. A bad stain job lives forever (until paint).
(I'd like to hamstring the person who "finished" the interior of my
last house. He may have puked into the shellac before applying it.)

Sounds like you're blaming the wood for the idjits who don't know
how to use it properly. :-)

Interesting. So they raise and plant fish to benefit commercial
fisheries as well as sportfishing? I'd be curious to see what sorts of
policies they have on harvesting these fish. Catch and release doesn't
really seem to jive with commercial harvesting.

Salmon are overfished/endangered, so farming is necessary. BTW, there
is no fishing permitted within the hatcheries, so forget about it.
(No C&R either.)

Heh. I'm not much on shooting fish in a barrel, thanks.

As an aside, one result of all the stocking of hatchery fish has
been that ingenious anglers have come up with a special fly for
catching those guys. It's called the Purina fly. Looks just like a
little brown pellet.

Ah, so you don't need gills to live there?

No, it's like a chillier, less-smoggy, friendlier, less-crowded LoCal.
Summers get to 100F (with nice, cool nights.) There is no rain for 5+
months, just like LoCal. Winters are colder and wetter, down to 20F
(with m+aybe an inch or two of shortlived snow) but not bad. I've
almost adjusted to it now, after only 2 years here.

Sounds awfully nice to me. (Of course here we get 6 months of
90-100 degrees with humidity in the same range.)

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.

Are you as adverse to cutting them as I am mine? All i had in LoCal
were poplars which I had planted myself. No, I take that back. I
sorely miss my old pepper tree which graced the northeast corner of
the lot. Beautiful! I don't think they grow up here but I really
should check with the local Master Gardener's extension. My tree
wasn't quite as large or full as this one, but close.
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...nus_molle.html

We saw lots of big ones down in the area around San Miguel de
Allende. At first glance they looked like mesquites or huizaches
(because of the foliage), but they had a totally different seedpod.

As for cutting trees on my land -- no way, unless the tree became
diseased. But I am not averse to harvesting wood from others who
bring down trees on their land: http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/logs2.jpg

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) *meeep* *meeeep*